Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing game: yump
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing game: yump Login/Join

posted
The word is yump.

Sorry guys - didn't realise I'd been nominated to be the very next Wordmaster! Red Face

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have sent you a definition. I apologize if I wasn't clear about that.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Hey, Cat, no fair using Norwegian words! "Ole's gonna yump over the fence, my yimminy!" Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any more for any more? I think I'll post the daffynitions / definition on Monday, so those of you who've yet to play have until Monday 6pm GMT (at the earliest; that's when my free Internet kicks in Smile). I have several daffynitions already, but could do with a couple more to make it more interesting!

posted Hide Post
Cat,
Could you send me your email by Private Post? I can read them, but can't reply. I will then send my definition. Kalleh sent me an email address, but it didn't work.

Thanks!

KHC

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, KHC! Now I seem to remember that I had to get it again from Bob because my first address didn't work. I must have sent the wrong one.

If you want to send it to me, I will get it to Cat.

posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your daffynitions. I've changed any American spellings to the English equivalents, because I wouldn't use them so they might point to false definitions. And now, the grand unveiling (and yes, I did almost forget to include the real one!):

1.A species of rubber plant found in southern Thailand.

2.A manoeuvre in knitting which crosses several stitches over each other in order to create a "cable".

3.A Victorian criminal, similar to the modern day mugger.

4.A Scottish dish of minced beef hearts, green peppers, onions, vinegar, and spices.

5.The debris that accumulates on the floor of a forest. Also called leaf mould. Hardwood yump is found in deciduous forests consisting of oak, walnut, maple, and the like. Softwood yump, found in evergreen forests, is more acidic.

6.In rally-driving, leaving the ground in one’s vehicle when going over a ridge or crest.

7.A small hillock in a field; a tuffet.

8.A tuft of hair growing from a mole.

9.Slang for a dishevelled, disorganised child.

10.A shade or a shadow; the dark central spot of a sunspot.

Good luck!

posted Hide Post
What no one has pointed out is that the y of "yump" is really an eth, like the y in "Ye Old Curiosity Shoppe."

The word is pronounced "thump" and that's the reason 3, the Victorian mugger (who uses a "cosh" to yump (thump) his victim), is the correct answer...(Of course it's not 6, even though that sounds as if it might give a thump too. There were no motor vehicles to race in a cross--country rally in those days!)

P.S. I've seen children who were organized, but never hevelled Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am going with 7.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Number SEVEN has my vote.

~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote for #2..!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I think it's a knitting manouvre using forest debris , so it's #3 1/2. Uhhh, no, just so someone gets two points, I'll select #5.

posted Hide Post
I'm going for #6 (because it seems nicely specific without going into too much depth - potentially flawed logic, I know!)

It also sounds a bit onomatopoeic; like a racing car going past you:
yyyyy-uu-mm-p
hehe Smile

Posts: 14 | Location: Walsall, West Midlands, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
eeny meenie... oops that's not PC any more is it ?

8 please.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely no idea. Frown

No-one's picked No 4 yet, so I'll go for that.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
OK, let's reason this one out.

#7 and #8 both contain the letters "tuf" and so cancel each other out. (Plus #7 sounds like Arnie.)

#9 has the letters "dis" twice and #10 has both "shad" and "spot" twice so they can't be it.

#1 can't be it. If there were rubber plants in Thailand, STDs wouldn't be such a problem there.

#4 sounds tasty but do you "mince" meats? I associate that verb more with vegetables.

I so much want to vote for #5 and would have had it ended with just the first sentence. This one definitely sounds the best but...

I'll go with #2 because I know nothing of stichery.

posted Hide Post
Hah! Fat lot you all know. It's #4. Asa was nearly right... came about when one of those Norwegian Viking types was visiting Scotland and tried out the local stewpot. He leaped to his feet yelling "Yumpin' Yimminy that's good stuff." Been called yump ever since.

(and if you believe that I have this bridge for sale)

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I choose 7.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Answer on Saturday, folks. Smile

posted Hide Post
It is with dismay that I announce that KARL got the correct answer (6 - the rally-driving one). Fortunately, he is one of two people on this board whose address I know and to whom I can therefore send the boys round.

Here are the rest, and what I think are the scores (but I'm doing this in a hurry!:

1.A species of rubber plant found in southern Thailand. Karl

2.A manoeuvre in knitting which crosses several stitches over each other in order to create a "cable". Hab(KHC; CJ)

3.A Victorian criminal, similar to the modern day mugger. Bob(Hab)

4.A Scottish dish of minced beef hearts, green peppers, onions, vinegar, and spices. CJ(arnie; Jo)

5.The debris that accumulates on the floor of a forest. Also called leaf mould. Hardwood yump is found in deciduous forests consisting of oak, walnut, maple, and the like. Softwood yump, found in evergreen forests, is more acidic. Jerry(Asa)

6.In rally-driving, leaving the ground in one’s vehicle when going over a ridge or crest. CORRECT(Karl)

7.A small hillock in a field; a tuffet. arnie(Kalleh; Jerry; Tinman)

8.A tuft of hair growing from a mole. Asa(Bob)

9.Slang for a dishevelled, disorganised child. Kalleh

10.A shade or a shadow; the dark central spot of a sunspot. KHC

Karl: 2
Hab: 2
Bob: 1
CJ: 2
Jerry: 1
arnie: 3
Asa: 1
Kalleh: 0
KHC: 0
Jo: 0
Tinman: 0
Cat: 0

[edited because I forgot to put Tinman's score in - sorry, Tinman; I knew I was doing it too quickly!]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cat,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks for doing the scoring, Cat! Some have suggested not accumulating the scores, so we will just post them each time. Also, on the chat today there was discussion that any use of the dictionary really isn't fair. In fact, some people were skeptical that there has been some cheating in these games.

Let's agree, then, that no dictionaries should be used, even to refine your daffynition. I will edit the rules to say that.

Thanks everyone. Good game, Cat! Big Grin

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
Arnie's in first place and with the extra half point I believe I should be awarded for fooling him, I'm in second and all's right with the world.

(And didn't I tell you #7 sounded like Arnie!!)

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I thought it was awfully sporting of me to give Jerry a point even though his verbose daffynition didn't ring true. Big Grin But the REAL definition MUST have come from Swedish rally drivers!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Arnie's in first place and with the extra half point I believe I should be awarded for fooling him, I'm in second and all's right with the world.

Sorry, CJ, due to popular demand there aren't "places" anymore. We are going to score with each game.

posted Hide Post
Kalleh,

Any takers for next Bluffing Game Wordmaster/mistress? Big Grin

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
If nobody else is willing by Monday am Pacific time, I'll do it again. Karl, are you willing? PLEEEASE!?!?

posted Hide Post
Karl,

You can do it... Rah! Rah! Rah! Give us a word... we're starved.

Big Grin