Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Clarinda
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Clarinda Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
I don't use street directories or Sat Nav's or Google Maps to get around the streets of Melbourne and beyond in the state of Victoria, because the built-in map in my head is for the most part better than all of them, especially in the Eastern and Southern suburbs.

But before moving to my current home in the South East, a suburb called Clarinda, I had not only never been there, I didn't even know it existed. I assumed the guy said Kalinda which is a picturesque township in the nearby Dandenong Ranges and too far from the CBD for my liking. But just to confirm before saying no, that's too far (I was looking for share-house), I said where's that again? It turned out it was only a 10-15 minute drive from where I was then living (Murrumbeena which was the subject of a game the last time I won), and so here I am.

It is in what's known as the Sandbelt, which is home to what many (even non-Australians) think are the best Golf Courses in the world - there's about 5-10 or more of them, and Clarinda is literally a stone's throw from the famed Huntingdale Golf Course that for many years was the permanent home of the Australian Masters Golf Tournament, which in Greg Norman's heyday, used to get all the best players in the world playing here, but sadly we cannot compete prize-money-wise any more with the US and to a lesser extent the European Tours, and so if we get the odd superstar from OS over here these days, it's usually only because the organising body has paid them a big appearance fee.

Much of the area around Clarinda used to be a giant rubbish tip, and I really don't know anything much else about it.

Pronunciation-wise the girl's name Linda/Lynda is the perfect rhyme, and so I reckon it might be one of those rare places that we all pronounce the same way. Doesn't mean finding rhymes for it will be easy, of course, nor was it for Spencer but somehow we got a healthy number of very good entries, so hopefully we will again.

But be warned I have already written the non-prize-winning winner, so it will have to be good to beat it.

Send me your Limericks by PM soon.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Oh and nearby Oakleigh is home to a huge populus of Greek immigrants and their descendants (you may not have known that outside of Athens the city in the world with the highest Greek population is Melbourne). There is a closed-off street in the heart of Oakleigh spanning three cross-streets, where every single shop front on both sides of the street/mall is a Greek cafe or restaurant with outside tables in the centre of the street for its entire length. You can go there at midday and wonder why it's so quiet, but if you go there at midnight any night of the week, the place is alive and kicking with Greek music filtering out to the street from one in every three of the shops, and literally hundreds of Greeks kicking on, till all hours.

From my observations over the few months I've been here, I reckon plenty of the Greeks who frequent the Oakleigh street cafes live here in Clarinda.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
I'll forego this one.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine's in. It is helpful necessary though to go outside the box a bit, and maybe accept some less-strict rhyming requirements...

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am fighting with a last line for one. So far, I am not winning.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Hab's and mine are the only limericks so far. If I haven't received some more in a few days, I might share a creative way to get a good rhyme or 5 for Clarinda.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is helpful necessary though to go outside the box a bit, and maybe accept some less-strict rhyming requirements...
Yes, I agree. Writing mine now and I can tell you the rhyming won't be perfect.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After writing one then deleting it, I resubmitted it. It is redolent of an outhouse basement, but at least it adds to the total submissions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

posted Hide Post
???????????????

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Hi Folks,

I have about 6 - 8 so far, but nothing from Bob, or Proof or Bethree yet?

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
Because of his health, I doubt that Proofreader will be back. Frown

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Because of his health, I doubt that Proofreader will be back. Frown

And Bethree mentioned that she was really busy right now. So, I don't know if she will have time to do one. I hope so.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Why don't we take a vote?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Will do so over the weekend

Regards Greg

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I'm sending a late one right now.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yay! Glad you found the time in your busy schedule, bethree5!!!

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sattva:
Yay! Glad you found the time in your busy schedule, bethree5!!!
Smile

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's Monday in Oz, so where's the list of limericks?

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
So it is. Last year I worked 3 days a week, this year I am working 5 and half days a week, so I am very time poor, and more often than not these days, some of the things I plan to do in my 1 and a half days off, slip by the wayside. So it was with the Limerick Game this weekend. Hopefully I will get it done tonight.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
Greg,
I wondered how you were managing working full-time again. Hope you are getting your rest, as well.
Kind regards,
sattva

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Clarinda Poll is finally posted.

Regards Greg