Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    acidic chairs emit fragrant stars
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

acidic chairs emit fragrant stars Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
In another thread neveu proposed a game to get the above random phrase into a paragraph.

OK, here goes.

I remember when my old University chemistry professor was visited by John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Marylin Monroe and Jayne Mansfield. John and Clint both smelled of horses but Marylin and Jayne wore the most delightful perfume.
"Come in, come in." the professer cried. He waved the two cowboys to a couple of wooden chairs in the corner but took the ladies by the arm saying
"My dears, come and have an acidic chair."
The looked at him quizzically.
"Forgive me," he said "It's a chemistry joke. Those chairs" he pointed to the ones now occupied by the men "are very basic. The opposite of basic is acidic. I mean of course that you should sit in these comfortable armchairs."

The ladies sat. After everyone had chatted for a while the professor was eager to continue his work but the guests showed no signs of leaving. He was however prepared for this eventuality and had previously had his friend the Professor of Physics, install a small device which allowed him to pass a tiny electrical current through all of his furniture. He now pressed the switch and watched the basic chairs emit the smelly stars and the acidic chairs emit fragrant stars. As they all leapt up to avoid the surge of current he bustled them out of the door all the time urging them
"Do come again, do come again."

How'd I do?

And if anyone wishes to continue this game here's another random phrase.

the abyssinian heron chimed thoughtlessly in the library

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, you did wonderfully. I loved it! Big Grin

Here is mine:

Vickie has always loved cats. She has had black cats and calico cats and Siamese cats. While attending a cat show, she found a particularly beautiful abyssinian cat, named "Foxy." Foxy was a shorthaired cat, with a reddish-brown coat, tipped with small black markings. Vickie is not rich. As a nurse, she works hard for peanuts. However, she had to have Foxy! She offered the woman $10,000, but that was way too little. Then $50,000. No. Finally, her final offer (and the sale of her home), $100,000. Accepted! Yet, there was a catch. Vickie had to take Foxy's friend with her, too.

Foxy's friend, Tintinnabulater, fondly known as Tin-Tin, had a very unusual reddish tinge to her white plumage, and she had been raised with Foxy in Abyssinia. Tin-Tin had a particularly musical song, and she especially enjoyed singing when everthing was quiet.

Vickie now was living very sparsely in an apartment with Foxy and Tin-Tin. She couldn't afford pet sitters so wherever she went, Foxy and Tin-Tin followed. A voracious reader, Vickie put leashes on Foxy's elegant neck and on Tin-Tin's long, slender neck, and headed for a local Chicago library so that she could read about faraway places. As she walked in, the abyssinian heron chimed thoughtlessly in the library. Vickie was abashed, but the song was so sweet that everyone began to gather around Vickie, Foxy and Tin-Tin. Tin-Tin sang into the night, and soon she became very famous, giving beautiful concerts. This brought fame and fortune to Vickie who spent the rest of her life taking care of sick animals.

Here is another random phrase:

Amazingly, he found the obsidian under the tattered nest.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
George was proud of his collection of curios. They were displayed in a glass-fronted case in his living room. They were not worth anything in monetary value, but George had started collecting them as a boy so they had considerable sentimental value. He had a small fossil trilobite, an old Meerschaum pipe, an ancient Roman coin, and sundry other nick-nacks. Pride of place in the collection went to a chunk of obsidian, a naturally-formed black volcanic glass, which Nature had formed into a rather phallic shape.

One day George came home and saw a couple of young boys running away from his back garden. There was no hope of catching them so he went inside to discover his display case broken open, and most of the contents missing. The window to the back garden was open, and so he ran outside. In his hurry, he trod on a birds' nest that was lying on the path. George remembered that a pair of robins had recently built their nest in a nearby oak; why was it now lying on the path? He stooped and picked up the sorry collection of twigs. Amazingly, he found the obsidian under the tattered nest. Scattered around the garden he found the rest of his collection.

It looked like his house and garden had been invaded by vandals, who, after stealing the contents of the curio case, had gone into the garden to wreak more havoc and started by throwing his curios up into the branches of the tree to knock down the nest. It really was a shame that he had not arrived a short while earlier; he might have been in time to save the nest.

Next: Judgmental food swims happily in a pale machete

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Excellent, arnie! I particularly liked the shape of the obsidian. Wink

Now, come on, people. Use your imagination!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Come on neveu, this was your idea after all. How about taking a crack at it ?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
George was proud of his collection of curios. ...

Great story, Bob! I'm impressed by how you to managed to slip the required sentence in there. It sounded natural, not contrived.

Your story said the vandals went to the garden "to wreak more havoc." I'm glad you used that phrase. I hear more and more people saying "wreck havoc"! Makes me want to scream!

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
George was proud of his collection of curios. ...

Great story, Bob!

Tinman

Sadly I cannot take credit for arnie's fine work.

posted Hide Post
Oops! Sorry, arnie. Great job.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post