Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game: cladistics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game: cladistics Login/Join

posted
PM a daffynition for cladistics, if it please you.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far just one - and a very good one at that! How about a dozen more!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mine's in, and thanks for doing this!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Come one, come all! Geoff needs some more daffynitions!

If you are new, please come up with a daffynition for this word; that is, a silly definition that you think will trick us into picking it. Send it to Geoff as a PM, and then Geoff will post all the daffynitions, along with the real definition, and we'll all choose which we think is the correct definition. Beware, though, arnie is good in this game!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Mine's in!

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got five so far. Still waiting for some long-time players to chime in, and invite newcomers to PM me with a daffy, though plausible, idea of what this word might mean. No fair looking it up, though!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I assume one of them is mine

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I've sent one but I don't know whether it got through.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see it, RE. Please try again.

Bob, indeed one is yours!

posted Hide Post
Sent again.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now we're cooking! I've heard from zmježd, arnie, Kalleh, Bob Hale, Wordmatic, Richard English, Proofreader, and Stella. I'll give it until Sunday morning PST (GMT-8) before posting, just in case Caterwauller or someone else donates a daffynition.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Just a little PR, that's all we needed. Wink

posted Hide Post
Who's little and from Puerto Rico?

posted Hide Post
The daffynitions, and the real cladistics:

1. It's what your body measurements change to with corrective underwear i.e. vital cladistics.

2. Having a propensity to make fun of those fully-clothed.

3. A minted coin replica which has a plating of gold worth nothing.

4. Nude by choice.

5. An unpleasant odor from hay-filled mattresses.

6. The study of clumsiness.

7. In ballistics, the study of the penetrative capability of projectiles.

8. The science of fashion as practiced by those who reveal no bare flesh.

9. A form of intense meditation among austere orders of monks, consisting of simultaneously counting the individual threads of their garments while repeating the Cladis Deus prayer until the count is complete.

10. The scientific study of lava flows in active volcanoes.

11. A classification system based on the phylogenetic relationships and evolutionary history of groups of organisms.

12. Pertaining to the habit of wearing clothes in the bathtub.

13. The study of certain lichens

14. The study of armoured marine warfare.

Whew! That's quite a bunch! Make your best guess except for the two of you who'll surely know it! Big Grin Arnie and Z, please wait until everyone else has guessed so as not to make it too easy!

<Proofreader>
posted
After much consultation with persons of higher learning, I have established to my own satisfaction that the correct answer is number thirteen. This decision was reached while in the local KFC eating finger-lichen chicken.

My computer problem seems to have been fixed so I will name the next town as soon as this game ends, to avoid both competition and limerick overload.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you live in Lichtenstein?

<Proofreader>
posted
I once thought of moving there but decided it was not to my lichen.

<Proofreader>
posted
I once skidded while out mountain bikin'
When I ran my bike over a lichen.
I wound up in the grass
With six spokes up my ass
And a lump from the handlebar strikin'.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Discounting all the ones that are obvious puns on "clad", I'll go for the one that appears to be genuine gibberish - number 11, please.

posted Hide Post
Eleven for me too, please.

Richard English

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I'll go for #10, then.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've held off for as long as I dare ... eleven, please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
May I have eleven, please?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, it was between 10 and 11 for me, and since I see that arnie and z chose 11, I'll chose 10.

posted Hide Post
That was too obvious! #11 it is. I'll post who submitted what this evening. Cladistics also applies to linguistics. Z, how about filling us in on this application, either here or in the linguistics 101 thread?

<Proofreader>
posted
Was I the only dumb one?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Cladistics also applies to linguistics

It's not just linguistics, stemmatics (a branch of literary criticism), also uses the tree metaphor for branching as classification. Greek κλαδος (klados) means 'branch'. In fact, trees for describing the genetic relationship between languages was used before Hennig coined the word cladistics (aka phylogenetic systematics) in 1966. I have a book Biological Metaphor and Cladistic Classification: an Interdisciplinary Perspective by Henry M Hoenigswald and Linda F Wiener.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It is!
I genuinely just guessed because it sounded like actual authentic gibberish. I must use that technique again.

<Proofreader>
posted
\'ve opened the new limerick game so don't forget to look for it.

posted Hide Post
#1 was from Stella; ##s 2 - 5 were Proofreader's; 6 and 7 were mine; #8 was RE's, #9 was from Wordmatic; # 10 was Bob Hale's; #11 was, as most of you knew or guessed, the real thing; #12 was Kalleh's; then arnie's and z's.

Now, have we a word that might actually fool someone besides Proofreader and Kalleh? Big Grin

<Proofreader>
posted
I'm prepared to offer the word "corvus" which I think and hope an unknown quality.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
The only words that could fool them would be actual made-up gibberish. I like Bob's gibberish detection method, though it probably won't always work. Still, it sounds like an actual strategy!

WM

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was I the only dumb one?
Nope, I am included in that group, too.

Hey, proof, start a new thread with your new word. Let's keep it going!

posted Hide Post
OK, Proofreader, go ahead and corv us!