Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Geelong
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Geelong Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
Geelong, which you can pronounce Jee-Long or J'Long, whichever works best for your particular limerick (as both are in common usage locally) is the City for the next game. It is very much in the news in Australia as this weekend marks the end of the Footy season with the AFL Grand Final. Aussie Rules Football is the best spectator sport in the whole world, so it's a great pity the rest of the world doesn't get to see it. Anyway the Geelong Football Club (otherwise known as The Cats) has won 2 of the last 3 Premierships, but got eliminated in last week's Preliminary final.

From the 29th September to 3rd of October, Geelong is going to be centre stage of the Cycling World, because it will be host City for the World Road-Racing Championships, where the city's very own home grown cycling hero and twice Tour De France runner-up Cadel Evans will be defending the World Championship he won last year.

Maybe you can sneak a quick one in, before you head off Richard.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
(Bad) entry on its way.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Is it GEE-Long or Gee-LONG? (accent on which syLAHble, pliz?)

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Only the one entry from Arnie to date.

The most common pronunciation has the emphasis on LONG.

The organisers of the World Cycling Championships in Geelong next week, who had carefully planned their event to fall between the AFL Grand-Final (100,000 attended the game yesterday) and the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival and the Commonwealth Games, are now very disappointed that yesterday's Grand Final drawn game is going to kill attendances at the Womens' Road Race in Geelong next Saturday. That's because in AFL Football, which is a religion in this State, a drawn Grand-Final means a replay of the entire match the following week. Prior to this one there had only ever been 2 such draws in the game's history the last one being in 1977.

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
At this stage it looks like I'll be declaring Arnie the winner without a Poll as his is still the only entry!

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I send one tonight, but it doesn't look that easy!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Not only am I in Canada with a borrowed computer, but also I am driving around the Rockies as well!

If I get a chance I will see what I can do...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Still only 2 entries. Come on folks it can't be that hard.

Don't get me wrong
Try to be strong
And find a glee song
About a wee prong

or with the lazy pronunciation

You can all come along
And give me a gong
For wearing a sarong
While smoking a bong.

It can't be that hard surely...

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Do you mean I have to write another? Wink I struggled for so long on my first one, and even Greg admits it's minimal, at best.

Oh, well, I'll try again.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
quote:
and even Greg admits it's minimal, at best

I did no such thing!

Regards Greg

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
even Greg admits it's minimal, at best.
It can't be more minimal than mine! Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No, you were polite, Greg. But I read between the lines. Wink Heck, I pointed out my own flaws! I'm trying again, though,

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
This one has dragged on too long. Sorry about that but I still only have 4 entries, and I've got one of my own to make 5. I will give it 24 hours and then publish the poll even if I don't have any more so we can move on to a town that produces more input.

Regards Greg

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have submitted another one.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've sent a couple of not very good ones.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the extras. The Poll will be posted shortly.

Regards Greg