Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game - Olamic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game - Olamic Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Our next Bluffing Game word is olamic. Please send me daffynitions via PM.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Mine will be in your PM shortly

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've received 3 now. Keep 'em coming! Big Grin

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
You've got mine now.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
I sent mine but I had a hard time coming up with anything. The only thing I could think of when looking at the word was that big, old talking rock on that canceled Nickelodian game show. His name was Ol'mac or something like that.

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have 9 now, but I am kinda waiting to see if one of our newbies might want to join in. We have 3 recent ones, with interesting profiles, and I 'd love to see them play. Paul Millius, especially, might like to play, as he said he had joined specifically for word games. Come on, newbies, dive in! The water's warm, and the sharks are friendly!

I will post the daffynitions, along with the correct definition, on Sunday.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I see Paul Millius is a fellow webfoot!

posted Hide Post
You received mine a few days ago. Mooooahahahahaahahahah (insert evil diabolical laugh here).

Posts: 79 | Location: Cochran, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I did, SciFi, and I was soooo happy! I love it when newbies play the bluffing game.

Yes, Paul is from Portland, too. Come on, Paul, send me a daffynition! We're waiting...

At any rate, I will post them tomorrow, with or without Paul's.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I just sent one. Hope you get it in time.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Paul didn't join us, but at least SciFi did! One of our learned posters actually guessed the correct meaning. Hab, you are a real smartie! Therefore, I'm not able to include his. Here we go:

Olamic means:

1. Silent during religious ceremonies and observations

2. A type of ceramic tile

3. Of or pertaining to a branch of philosophy founded by Petros Olamos; generally, obtuse; impenetrable.

4. Consisting of or being made of oleanders

5. Having or possessing the qualities of Olma from Stargate SG1. Note: Olmamic would have been too cumbersome to pronounce so the 1st "m" was dropped to create a word more pleasing to the ear and easier on the tongue.

6. Eternal; infinite

7. Hermit known for his sage advice

8. generic name of the pre-nomadic tribes originally occupying the Dar-es-Olam region of the Middle East

9. Of or pertaining to the fatty cells in tissue

10. Adj. describing a buyers' market; one where there are few buyers but many sellers

Not bad, eh? I am sorry that I couldn't include yours, Hab, but it was just too close.

Thanks everyone...and start guessing!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm tempted by 9, but I'll take 6 instead.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I hate to be a copyer of a cat, but I think Wordmatic's right.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Why hate it? Cats are superior beings and the actual owners of the universe, and I say this as a bi-speciest--owner of two owners, one canine and one feline!

Ms. Word Matic

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Because i agree with Hemingway that we should Eschew the monumental and shun the Epic, my choice is number SIX.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As a Stargate fan frustrated by Channel 4's decision to buy the last three seasons but not show them - five if you count Stargate Atlantis - (presumably to prevent any other channel showing it) I'd love it to be 5.

It isn't though, so I'll try 7.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Blast! How did I miss this game? Very tough word, Kalleh. I have my guess... & I was o so sure until I saw another entry that was my 1st guess & they say to go w/your 1st guesss... Hmmm! I am on tenterhooks.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by wordmatic:
Cats are superior beings and the actual owners of the universe, and I say this as a bi-speciest--owner of two owners, one canine and one feline!

Ms. Word Matic

Bah, humbug! Cats are the only creatures that show greater hubris than humans. Dolphins, however...

"It is an important and popular fact that things are not always what they seem. For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars and so on -- whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man -- for precisely the same reasons."

Douglas Adams

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
I like #2.
I don't necessarliy think it is the correct meaning, but I like it.

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'll go along with the herd ...

Six for me, please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Anyone else?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay then. Here are the answes:

1. Silent during religious ceremonies and observations - Bob's daffynition; guessed by no one

2. A type of ceramic tile - Kalleh's daffynition; guessed by TrossL

3. Of or pertaining to a branch of philosophy founded by Petros Olamos; generally, obtuse; impenetrable - Wordmatic's daffynition; guessed by no one

4. Consisting of or being made of oleanders - TrossL's daffynition; guessed by no one

5. Having or possessing the qualities of Olma from Stargate SG1. Note: Olmamic would have been too cumbersome to pronounce so the 1st "m" was dropped to create a word more pleasing to the ear and easier on the tongue. - SciFiJunkie's daffynition; guessed by no one

6. Eternal; infinite - The REAL THING; guessed correctly by Wordmatic, Asa, arnie, Jerry

7. Hermit known for his sage advice - TrossL's second daffynition; guessed by Bob

8. generic name of the pre-nomadic tribes originally occupying the Dar-es-Olam region of the Middle East - Jerry's daffynition; guessed by no one

9. Of or pertaining to the fatty cells in tissue - Asa's daffynition; guessed by no one

10. Adj. describing a buyers' market; one where there are few buyers but many sellers - Arnie's daffynition; guessed by no one

Now...as an addendum to this, I had PMd our new person, Paul Millius, to play the game since he enjoys playing word games. Here are his great submissions, which unfortunately arrived too late:

Pertaining to the Olmec people of ancient Latin America

A plastic dinnerware that was not as succesful as Melmac

I am hoping he will do our next word!

When I first looked this word up, there was a one-word definition, with no etymology or anything. Hab sent me a daffynition of:

olamic = worldly, from the Hebrew olam, "world"

Had he not added "now don't tell me that's the real definition!" I would have just thought, "close...but no cigar!" But that got me thinking, so I researched the word in other sources. Sure enough olamic does come from the Hebrew word olam. I hadn't found that out until I was ready to post the daffynitions (and it had already been too long!), so I just didn't post his daffynition. Normally I would have asked him for another daffynition, but there really wasn't time.

Even though this word was a bit of a fizzle (and it's supposed to be rare!), at least I have to thank TrossL for guessing my daffynition. Smile

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Good game! Though 'eternal' gave me pause-- I must have seen the real word in context-- my vote would definitely have gone to 'fatty cells'!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post