Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    a Sterling example of limerick writing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a Sterling example of limerick writing Login/Join

posted
Okay, folks, here's our next challenge:

STERLING

As in engine (phonetically, anyway). As in silver. As in excellent. Plenty of opportunity for rhyming and for innuendo.

(Why does he keep using nearby place names? Because they're there.)

PM me with your good efforts and we'll have some results in a couple of weeks. (Vacation is no excuse!)

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of places called Stirling dotted across the globe, as well.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certainly there are. That's the "engine (phonetically)," too. But my local town is Sterling, MA, pop.7,808 by the 2010 US Census.

posted Hide Post
This is the only one I know about: http://f1greatestdrivers.autosport.com/?driver=8

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I always thought Sterling Moss was great groundcover.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll get you one tomorrow - thinking. Poor Hab, being talented means you have more work to do. Wink

We have a Sterling Illinois.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
Certainly there are. That's the "engine (phonetically)," too. But my local town is Sterling, MA, pop.7,808 by the 2010 US Census.
Hi, hab, I'm waving-- can you see me? I'm only 123 mis away in Brewster, on vacation. Smile

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm only 123 mis away in Brewster

"Only"? Eek

We have a very different idea of distance. 123 miles is literally halfway across the country here. Smile There is nowhere more than 100 miles away from the sea.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
There is nowhere more than 100 miles away from the sea.

Blame erosion.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
We have a Sterling Illinois.

There's also one in Washington. And in Colorado, Missouri, Ohio, etc., and there are two in Wisconsin. There are quite a few Sterlings.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
123 miles is literally halfway across the country here.
You are right, arnie, it is a matter of perspective. Generally, I think of cities in the East as being quite close. You should see the West! In Montana and Wyoming, for example, they don't talk about miles, but instead about hours between cities.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
quote:
I'm only 123 mis away in Brewster

"Only"? Eek

We have a very different idea of distance. 123 miles is literally halfway across the country here. Smile There is nowhere more than 100 miles away from the sea.

Wow, that is AMAZING, Arnie! I would love living in a country where I was never more than 100 mis from the sea! 123 mis to me seems like a hop, skip, & a jump.

I grew up about 400 mis from the Atlantic, but it seemed "do-able" cuz we in fact did it annually. It was a horrible 9-hr trek across NYS & MA [to Brewster!] in my '50's childhood, before there were high-speed roads. But we stayed for wks once arrived; I always felt "near" the ocean.

I lived in MI for 3 yrs as a young adult, where locals claimed one was never more than 10 mis from a lake, nor more than 100 mis from a Great Lake. But I felt like a fish out of [salt] water, & have lived ever since w/n 20 mis or less from the Atlantic-- can't see it, but we do get sea gulls. & of couse, creatures of habit, we keep trekking 350 mis up to the New England coast every Aug. Rich & I aren't true NJ'ans like the kids we raised tho, & they take frequent advantage of the vast NJ shore nearby.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
quote:
There is nowhere more than 100 miles away from the sea.

Blame erosion.
& soon, global warming! Eek

<Proofreader>
posted
Trump called the mayor of an island off our coastto tell him he needed worry about rising sea levels sinking hid fiefdom, that global warming was a hoax. Then tonight theres a story about a South Pacific island which soon will be washed away by rising sea levels. Maybe DJT shouls call them and tell them not to worry.

Gurgle, gurgle.

Too late.

posted Hide Post
This is proving much more diccifult than I'd imagined. I am trying, though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
This is proving much more diccifult than I'd imagined. I am trying, though.

I am not even trying! lol

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff: I am trying, though.

I've heard that.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff: I am trying, though.

I've heard that.
Oh, yes, you HAVE chatted with my spouse! Frown I have managed to submit one, although it more resembles a starling than anything sterling.

posted Hide Post
So. After ten days I have six Limericks. Getting there, but not Critical Mass yet. We can do better. Keep at it, folks!

posted Hide Post
quote:
So. After ten days I have six Limericks. Getting there, but not Critical Mass yet. We can do better. Keep at it, folks!

I will pay you or someone else to write one for me!!! LOL I would definitely have a better chance for getting a vote or two!

posted Hide Post
quote:
not Critical Mass yet.
Is that a catholic ceremony with kvetching?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Let me get on Shu!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me get on Shu!
Eek

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Let me get on Shu!

If we're going to allow salacious material, I must protest by toppling the statue of Jeb Raltar.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Still not enough, Hab?

posted Hide Post
3 1/2 weeks of summer (?doldrums?) have produced seven limericks from five budding Edward Lears. Nine or ten would be better.

Let's give it another couple of days for a final PUSH (c'mon, you guys !), and then I'll post 'em before the weekend.

posted Hide Post
Hab, see my last PM. I've finally worked out the one I was struggling with.

posted Hide Post
Got it, thanks.

Well, folks, any more? I'll post tomorrow evening so they can be viewed before everyone leaves for the weekend...

posted Hide Post
As promised. The limericks are here