Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Kew Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Kew Poll Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
Hi Folks,

Sorry folks for my tardiness in getting this up. Had a lot of things on lately. I didn't even get around to doing an entry myself this time. Thanks to those of you who embraced the not so subtle hint that the "Dancing Man" was a worthy subject. Our family loved him - we always gave him a toot when we passed him in the car, and occasionally had a chat when we passed him on foot. I believe the Local Council is going to honour him in some way.

Anyway here are the Kew limericks:

Question:
In a gentleman's garden in Kew
The long grasses are trimmed by a ewe
And at night this wool beauty
Has an alternate duty
Though there's some who might think it askew.

A Xavier poet with who
An MLC girl that he knew
Kept Meter and Rhythm
Spewed sexual jism
His Dancing Man came right on "Kew".

A crazy old matron from Kew
Did bloomers and hose long eschew
With arms held akimbo
This blue-blooded bimbo
Pranced high 'nuff her muff was on view

There's a horn-blowing hullaballoo
At a dancing man prancing in Kew.
People drove there for miles
To compare dancing styles --
But he died. Now they've nothing to do.

In Melbourne's fair suburb of Kew
The folks wash their socks in rose dew
They sip only nectar
And munch plum confecture--
At least, 'til the mortgage comes due

Outside Melbourne in beautiful Kew,
My lover and I had a screw.
I felt the earth move
And said to her, "You've
convinced me you're not an old shrew!

I'm for Adelaide, Perth, Wanneroo,
And for Horsham and Freemantle, too.
Put me for Port Augusta,
Swan Hill passes muster,
But most of all I say "for Kew."

Choices:

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are "Kewl". I've narrowed my picks down to like....five. Big Grin You'll get my vote when I can flip a coin a few times, or after I let them soak in a bit.

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
They aren't perfect, but there are some good ones here. One has the best 5th line, and another has one of my favorite words...but I voted for still another.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Do you want me to break the tie yet, or not? If I were to cast an unbiased vote it wouldn't be for either of those two, but it would just complicate matters further if I did, so I'll just hold on to it as a tie-breaker, when you guys think there are unlikely to be any more votes?

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Why don't you choose between the two so that we can start another game and then tell us the one you really liked? I find the tastes here so interesting. Often I totally agree with the winner (though I may not have voted for it), but sometimes I just don't get it at all.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
OK well this is very difficult. The author's were:

1, 3 & 5 - Bethree5
4 & 7 - Proof
2 - Tom
6 - Kalleh

So B35's No. 1 is suitably blue but subtly so (as was the 1 vote collector in No. 3), and deserves to win for the sheer volume, with 3 entries. And I loved the akimbo/bimbo rhyme in lines 3 & 4. But Proof also collected 2 votes for his Dancing Man limerick in No. 4 and one vote for his clever "for Kew" pun in No. 7. And I have to split the tie between 1 & 4. Well I am very sorry B35 but I am going to have to give it to Proof because of the Dancing Man theme, and also because with a free Vote I would have voted for Proof's No. 7 which had me in stitches when I first read it, so "For Kew" too Proof.

The other two deserve a mention too, because I am intrigued by how frequently Kalleh, writes her limericks from the male perspective.

And finally Tom, what an absolute killer punch line. Actually with a bit more polish Tom's limerick would almost certainly have been the winner, because he brought in the two big Private Boys and Girls schools in Kew, with the killer punch line, that brought the Dancing Man in and finished with a great pun. The imperfect rhyme with rhythm and jism, was a bit of an issue though, and there was really no need for the direct reference to sexual activity in line 4 anyway, because Line 5 said it all anyway.

So as a little exercise, here's a little challenge for you all while we wait for Proof to come up with the next Game. Let's see who can turn Tom's theme and killer last line into the hands down winner it could have been.

Regards Greg

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks for the mention. I didn't think #1 would be in contention because 'askew' is a homophones in disguise. I voted for Proof's #4 because the last line cracked me up.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I write mine from a male perspective mostly because there are so few females who write these. However, congrats to a fellow female, Bethree!

I guess a shrew is always a woman, but I don't know why. Then animal can be female or male.

<Proofreader>
posted
Thanks for the pick and the approval of my number seven. I liked that one best.

Unfortunately, over the next several weeks. I have some personal issues that will require a good amount of time. I don't think I will be able to check in to the site on a regular basis, although I hope that doesn't prove true. I'd hate having to delay the game, so I'll have to ask that the runner-up assume the position of moderator for the next game, if she will be so kind.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I didn't like my "jism" word much, but not because of the near-rhyme. It is just too crude to me, and I wavered on taking it out. But I didn't think the "near-rhyme" itself was all that bad. It is hard to come up with a good, rhyming word for "rhythm" in my mind.

If I did it again, I think I would have switched "meter and rhythm" with "rhythm and meter" and found a better rhyme for "meter".

I thought that all of bethree5's were excellent, and think she should definitely take the reins if proofreader steps down. (I was going to ask if the "askew"/"kew" was bad form, but to me it was good especially divided with a different rhyming word in between the two.)

(and while I'm typing anyway). I didn't(/don't) see anything wrong about writing a limerick from the male perspective. It's a limerick, not a biographical story... Not being an expert here, but I see it as kind of telling a joke in rhyme.

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am sorry, Proof. We will miss you! With Geoff taking a sabbatical from Wordcraft, and now you leaving for awhile, the rest of us will have to take up the slack.

We hope everything is okay, Proof.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:

I thought that all of bethree5's were excellent, and think she should definitely take the reins if proofreader steps down. (I was going to ask if the "askew"/"kew" was bad form, but to me it was good especially divided with a different rhyming word in between the two.)

Red Face
Now that silly season is over again (5 concerts & 2 orchestra rehearsals in 2 wks-- yet again, no yodeling nor throat-singing!?)... >pant pant< I shall step up to the plate anonce.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post