Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Qatar
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Qatar Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Bethree came up with the next limerick game word, but she must be away. So I'll post it for her. Please PM me your limericks.

However you pronounce it is fine. Here's an example or here. It seems close to "cutter" to me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B3's original post:
quote:
posted June 13, 2017 6:25 PM
How about Qatar? https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Qatar

That sounds like "cotter," to me, so I used that pronunciation for my limerick. Most of the news sources I've heard pronounce it "cutter." Maybe I can come up with something to rhyme with that. The Arabic pronunciation seems to be closer to "KA tar," with the r being trilled. I know I can't rhyme that.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Oh, thanks for picking this up, tinman!
I was away for a few days & also completely forgot I posted that suggestion.

sattva's 3 pronunciation links were very helpful. I have to admit I haven't heard any news reader pronounce it 'cot-ter as in the MW link I posted. The reporters/anchors I listen to all say 'cut-ter (tho some close the "uh" a bit so it's closer to 'caw-ter). I especially liked the 3rd of sattva's links, where a student of the language explains in detail, & opines that 'cut-ter is the closest approximation for English speakers.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
Oh, thanks for picking this up, tinman!

No, no, not me! Kalleh. PM your limericks to her.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, please PM me with your Qatar limericks. I only have 2 so far!

posted Hide Post
Sometimes, I find it hard to get started, especially like now, when I have too many things on my plate.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Oh, OK, to Kalleh. Working on it.

BTW, just yesterday I heard the NPR reporter announce his headline w/the authentic Arabic pronunciation, then immediately shift to "Cutter" for the rest of the story. Wink

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
More please!

posted Hide Post
I'm trying! Other than Grizzly Adams' fuzzy friend Hairy Potter, I can't think of any rhymes.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mentioned this game to a friend in Oregon and he sent me two limericks. I can't seem to convince him to log in here and join in! Frown

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few now, but only from a couple of authors. How about the rest of you?
'

posted Hide Post
Does it count if i have only just started thinking about it? Sorry!

posted Hide Post
Finally, sent one in to you, Kalleh.

posted Hide Post
I scent one. "Scent" because it stinks.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow - I have a lot. Now I just need to get them all posted. Remember, with our new format I'll post and number the limericks and you choose the number of your favorite. Greg, I don't have one from you. Anyone else I've missed?

posted Hide Post
Maybe Greg's suffering from catarrh?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Alright - I am starting another thread with the limericks. Because some people sent some separately, please forgive me if I miss yours. Just PM me and I'll add it, since we're not using a poll.