Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Burrundie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Burrundie Login/Join

Picture of stella
posted
Rightio, here we go. I decided to stick a pin in a map of Australia, since I'm going over there for a week - and that's how I discovered Burrundie (buh-RUN-dee).

All I know about Burrundie is that it's in the hot, dry Northern Territory. Googling it, the first site that comes up is Burrundie, Australia travel blogs and clicking on that the first page says Travel Blog Photos from Burrundie (0) Big Grin Big Grin

So ... give it a burl, Shirl, and send me some of your little rippers. If I don't respond for a few days, it doesn't mean I don't care, I'm probably just out shopping. Big Grin

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since I've been dragged into this game kicking and screaming and frothing at the mouth, I've sent one to you, Stella.

The folks here at The Home who wear the white coats were really watching me closely as I muttered out loud bizarre syllables they'd never heard from a normal person, so if you don't hear from me for a while, I've been put away.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
One on the way. I'll send more if I can find more words that rhyme with "dirt."

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
You're into humourous humus? Laughable loam? Titillating talus? Comedic compost?

<Proofreader>
posted
Guffawing gravel
Cackling clay.
burlesqued basalt
slapstick soil
pleasant pavement
funny fill
merry marl
tittering turf
giggling glebe

<Proofreader>
posted
Google's sat of Burrundie shows scrub
And then scrub, and more scrub and more scrub,
Lots more scrub, then more scrub
Scrub that's piled upon scrub
And then scrub and more scrub and a road.

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Heh, heh! Sorry for dragging the chain on this competition - I can't get online easily and the hotel computer keeps throwing me out on account of "forbidden keywords" - whatever have you all been writing?! Big Grin

I will get on to this as soon as I get back to NZ. You have a couple more days to enter - so rattle your dags, why don't you?!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'm not sure what dags are. Is it OK to rattle them in public?

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
what dags are

drooping dugs?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Does Blondie know about Dagwood?

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Dagwood?

A sub-unit of the Plasticwood Home

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Or maybe Stella's channeling the late UN Secretary General http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dag_Hammarskj%C3%B6ld

<Proofreader>
posted
Too obscure. I think she means this.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
AOL?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
BTW, Proofreader, you forgot about chert in your above list. Please do something about it. Example:

Daniel, wipe that chertoff your ( ) this minute!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I confess I am having a lot of trouble with this limerick...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the delay, folks - I had a little bit of a hiccup. My husband, Dave, had to have an emergency cardiac stent a few days ago but he's home now and is OK. What a week!

... back to the limerick game - you know I kind of agree about the word choice, Richard - I don't think it was that great either. However I have got 3 good entries so it's possible. Shall we say 24hrs to give the stragglers a last chance?

PS: Rattle your dags (Urban Dict)
... meaning to hurry up. Has its origins in the crusted dry dags that gathered in the wool around a sheep's rear end. When dry and hardened they rattle when the sheep runs. Commonly prevented by what is called crutching or shearing the wool around the rear end of the beast.

Big Grin

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Wow, Stella, that's quite the reason for the delay! Glad to hear all went well! Did this happen whilst on holiday?

As for dags, around here they're called dingleberries.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
they rattle when the sheep runs

I was wondering what that sound was that I heard when I ran for the bus.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've sent a couple now.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Stella...please give your husband a hug for us. Yes, that was quite a week!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! Dave is fine now and actually heaps better than before when we didn't realise anything was wrong. I got a call from him when I was in Melbourne that he'd had a check up and they were flying him to Wellington for an angiogram. By the time I heard next, the angioplasty was done and the panic was all over. Phew!

Yes, it was quite a good excuse for stalling on the competition wasn't it - better than 'the dog ate my homework' anyway. Big Grin Also, I don't know whether it was a sympathy reaction or not, but the entries went from 3 to 8 overnight - goodonya, guys! - so now we have a real contest.

I'll digest them with my carrot juice and boiled bean sprouts and get right back to you!

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
At long last ...

proof

Leaving Darwin, perhaps on a Mondie,
On Tuesday, you may reach Burrundie
Where there’s nothing but dirt
And the silence can hurt,
And no day there chalks up as a “fundie”.

Very nice, proof. This is classy and captures the bleakness of the Burrundie landscape. A line like “the silence can hurt” lifts the limerick to a whole new level – kudos to you for versatility! Also, one of the few (perhaps only) entry that had no spelling or punct errors - all that time on the OEDILF is definitely paying off, proof! Big Grin

Kalleh

We drove my reliable Hundai
From Sydney to northern Burrundie.
Way down by the hill along
The fabulous billabong,
We ate lollies and even a sundae!

Nice one, Kalleh - you got an extra point for local flavour by incorporating the billabong. Hundai (Hyundai?) however, seemed a bit ambitious as a rhyming word for line one. Still it was a very cute picture, you trundling all the way across Australia from Sydney to Burrundie in a little car! Smile

Asa

A naughty young lass from Burrundie
Had budgerigars nest in her undie
With the birds in her bush,
Quite a feathery tush
She displayed to a Canuk from Fundy

A comely colleen from Burrundie
Neglected her knickers last Monday
All the lads in the town
Soon went heads to the ground,
Including the vicar last Sunday.

Both of these delightful entries made me chuckle. Nice lateral thinking, Asa, especially the first one which is quite imaginative. Luckily for you the visuals compensate for the lack of punctuation - you’re forgiven for that this time, but even though they’re only limericks, the normal rules about commas and fullstops should still apply. Big Grin

Richard

A hooker who worked in Burrundie
Said, "Why should I work through to Sunday?"
If I charge the same price
But let them them try twice
I could get all my work done in one day.

Richard, I nearly asked you if you wanted to delete one of the “them”s from L4 but then I wondered if that was a poetic device related to “trying twice” so I left it. Sorry if I’ve misjudged that – it’s a very nice limerick with labour-saving advice for anyone who’s listening.

Bob

"Weer yoe gooin?" 'e ast me on Sundee
"Ahm off on me 'ols ter Burrundie"
"I air never eerd,
Uh Burrundie", 'e jeerd.
"When yoe gooin?" "Tomorrer, on Mundee."

Translation
"Where are you going?" he asked me on Sunday.
"I am off on my holidays to Burundie"
"I have never heard
Of Burrundie." he jeered.
"When are you going?" "Tomorrow, on Monday."

Some hard-line evangelist fundies
Took one look at the state of Burrundie's
Relaxed moral code
Said, "We're hitting the road"
"There are too many folks with no undies."

In Perth, Baron Duncan of Lundie
Said, "I simply can't visit Burrundie,
For though I like to roam,
The Perth that's my home
Is the Scots one, not that one down-undie."

Great, Bob. I really liked the dialect limerick and also your innovative use of the limited rhyme scheme esp the diminutive fundamentalists, “fundies” - this one would have been a strong contender for the prize except that the plural ending was marginally cheating. “Down-undie” was also inspired.

... and the winner is .... little glitches notwithstanding, Asa wins the prize this week, on the strength of great plot and colouful characters. Goodonya, Asa!!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
A worthy winner - although all were good (and most if not all of them better than mine)!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I agree. And let's have no cries of "I am not worthy" this time.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
But, buttttt, I CAN'T WRITE LIMERICKS!!! I vote for Bob's. Please be the judge of the next round, Bob.

With his usual naughty stuff firmly in check, Proofreader produced the only one that was actually ABOUT Burrundie. Impressive!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll happily take a pm from you and give you my opinion on the contenders. You can pick the place though.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Incidentally Baron Duncan of Lundie was a real person who came from Perth.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
OK, Bob, I'll select Winnipeg, and you can take it from here!

<Proofreader>
posted
Winnipeg? Why not Lake Wangamoggachogagomaggaloggabogitcheogg?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Don't forget this thread.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, you have now won twice, so I am afraid you'll have to admit it: You are a limerick writer. There's no shame in that. Wink

Yes, I agree with Richard. There were some wonderful ones submitted with a not-so-easy word to rhyme. Mine probably belongs on the bottom of the pile.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Winnipeg? Why not Lake Wangamoggachogagomaggaloggabogitcheogg?

Because I don't want to know what you do with your wang at the lake. Eek

BTW, this afternoon as I sat in the electric shock therapy session at The Home I pondered whether Dopamine might be Carmine's retarded brother?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Oh, an added thought: If Winnipeg isn't acceptable, Bob, please pick one that works.

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Much as I want to tell Asa not to weasel out of this Big Grin , I know what he means – frankly, judging the next round never seemed like much of a prize to me either. It certainly isn’t the fun part of the competition.

How about we try judging by vote again (one vote per person and it doesn’t matter if there’s no clear winner) and anyone can nominate the next place??

<Proofreader>
posted
Whoa! I should have put a "smiley" there. Winnipeg is fine with me. I can write badly about any city in the world, as I have successfully proven on numerous occasions. (I don't do Klingon)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
frankly, judging the next round never seemed like much of a prize to me either. It certainly isn’t the fun part of the competition.
Well, diversity is the spice of life. I love being the judge!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
(I don't do Klingon)

Aren't klingons similar to dags?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Winnipeg is fine.
I don't like the voting system as much as the picking a winner system. I'll happily help Asa pick one. Picking the winner isn't meant to be a prize. It's meant to continue the game. We could just as easily pick place names in alphabetical order of players. The limericks are the important thing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since I'm well over my head with these things, I'd be grateful if you would help, Bob.