Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Less than 1 day to enter this Chicago Cubs limerick contest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Less than 1 day to enter this Chicago Cubs limerick contest Login/Join

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted
This seems like the right place for this...

Contest Topic/Theme: 'Keep it Wrigley' Sun-Times Contest
Prize(s): 'Keep It Wrigley' T-shirt
Start Date: 2008/03/28
End Date: 2008/04/04
Link: http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/867639,CST-NWS-Limerick29.article
Condition(s): Must be about the possible renaming of Chicago's Wrigley Field (a baseball facility); you must be a legal resident of Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, or Iowa.
Notes: Looks like a lot of competition...

Long story short, Sam Zell, Chicago big shot, wants to sell the naming rights to Wrigley Field and the locals are all up in arms about it. What to do? Have a limerick contest about it, of course.

There are over 300 entries so far and most of them are horrible. This one is only a little bit worse than the average:

With his powers and voracity came the notorious Mr. Zell,
One Might say that history and play is no longer a memory but to sell,
Predicament to the finincial situation,
It is worth to mention,
That the name "Wrigley Field" will ever be remembered and a part of us as well.
-- Ken Lin

This one, granted, is a lot worse:

IT'S CALLED WRIGLEY
THATS THE NAME
IT'S CALLED WRIGLEY
KEEP IT THE SAME
WE WONT GO TO PIGLEY WIGLEY
--MICHAEL GATLIN

My entry is guaranteed NOT to win because I decided to take a point of view of the whole situation that I'm confident will be judged considerably snottier than what the contest sponsors are looking for:

Sam Zell has been under attack,
But just maybe he's on the right track.
We've played hard, all agree,
But no rings! Could it be
That it's "Wrigley" that's holding us back?

Chris Doyle and David Franks wrote limericks that I'm sure would have been good for a lousy T-shirt if they had been allowed to enter:

There's a fellow, a very hard Zell,
Who is asking some fat cat to shell
Out big bucks to rename
Wrigley Field—what a shame!
'Tis, for Cubs fans, that cold day in hell.
(CD)

That ballpark once founded on chewing
Is the scene of big trouble a-brewing.
It will make our skins crawl
If the Cubbies play ball
Without Wrigley. Stand by for the booing.
(DF)

They've got 100 T-shirts to give out so if you happen to live within the 4-state area that serves Wrigley Field (or vice versa), it wouldn't seem like that much of an impossibility for you to add to your wardrobe by way of this contest.

TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO ENTER!!

Kalleh, if you have posted this somewhere else, I apologize. I didn't see it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, how can I live in Chicago and have missed this?! Damn! And I am so steeped in work right now that I can't possibly get one in today, I don't think (though maybe Wink).

I like the OEDILF submissions, but those others really stink, don't they? They need to experience a little workshopping (or maybe not!).

BTW, CJ, we'd love a Miami limerick, if you saw the thread (here in Wordplay). You just have to write a limerick with Miami for the A rhyme. Not hard, and you might win! (Mine is pretty good, though, if I do say so myself!)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
According to my computer it is 11:57 pm, and I have 3 minutes to enter my limerick. But darn...they've already stopped the contest, apparently, because it won't let me enter one. Too bad, but it just adds to the way this lousy day has gone for me. Mad

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As it turns out, I won a T-shirt, having given them the address of a friend who lives in Madison, Wisconsin.

Come to think of it, she still has the shirt.

Posts: 25 | Location: Wichita, KansasReply With QuoteReport This Post