Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    The Moon: Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Moon: Poll Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
1. When the Beatles and Stones sang my tune,
Was when man once set foot on The Moon -
Such a desolate place,
So unfit for our race -
So the dish ran away with the spoon!

2. I once thought if I freed a balloon
It would fly all the way to The Moon,
But those wonder-filled days
Of the innocent phase
Are sadly all over too soon.

3. We made love in the dust of the moon,
Consummated our lust on a dune.
But we're both rather weak
Since our suits sprang a leak
And our parts shriveled up like a prune.

4. Folk often , when under the moon
Do folly and beg for a boon
Of a most loathsome lover,
Who, out from the cover
Of moonlight, appears as a loon.

5. My boyfriend is quite a buffoon...
He swoons and he croons, the old goon!
The baboon sleeps around -
His morals astound!
I'll kick the old prune to the moon!

6. I once met a girl in Rangoon
Dancing naked beneath the full moon.
I slipped off my trousers,
And we two carousers
Joined yin and yang nearly 'till noon.

7. Tell Ralph Kramden he must change his tune
Since an astronaut, searching a dune,
Found an object most plump
All curled up in a lump:
Alice Kramden -- she's up on the Moon.

8. I recently caught a raccoon
Cavorting under the moon.
He wouldn't pay heed -
he ate the bird seed;
He's changing his residence soon!

9. Today, Kirk just treks to the Moon.
His copilot is a baboon
(A relative rookie,
But looks like a wookie)—
The Solo eclipse came too soon.

Question:
Votes please

Choices:

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow! There area some good ones!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
How about more than three votes?

posted Hide Post
How about ditching this lousy poll? I can NOT tell which one I'm voting for! Why can't the graph be on the same line as the number it represents?

Grumble, gripe, bitch, moan, kvetch, whine.....

Geoff the confused

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree, Geoff. I just count down and pick that one. It's so stupid. We should probably make a oomplaint with Social Strata.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
What's so hard about clicking the button next to a number?

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bob, it's a piece of cake to work out which one you're voting for, it's looking up the results that's a bit of a pain in the backside.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
For anyone having problems I'm happy to rewrite the poll layout to your specification each and every time we use it here.
A small fee will be involved.

posted Hide Post
Yes, I erred. It's the results bar that gives me trouble. Why can't it all be on the same line?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I don't find the display that difficult. All you need to remember is that the bar refers to the number below it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree with Geoff that the problem is with the results bar. It is hard to read, and many here have said that before. Some have made mistakes and picked the wrong limerick. That's why I just count down when I am selecting the limerick I like, and then I click that number.

However, I don't think we should give up the poll feature because of that. It just takes getting used to.

[I haven't edited the above, so that the subsequent posts are understood. However, I acknowledge that my post is incorrect. Selecting the correct limerick is easy; the difficult part is reading the results once you've voted. Sorry for the confusion.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I agree with Geoff that the problem is with the results bar. It is hard to read, and many here have said that before. Some have made mistakes and picked the wrong limerick. That's why I just count down when I am selecting the limerick I like, and then I click that number.

However, I don't think we should give up the poll feature because of that. It just takes getting used to.

How can you pick the wrong one? I just don't get it. You can't even see the results bars until AFTER you choose your limerick. And the button for the limerick is right there next to the limerick number. I suppose, if you had a complete lack of confidence in your own ability to click a button next to a number you might, just might, then look at the results and think "OMG I clicked number five but it's showing on number 4" but half a seconds thought will tell you that a) you aren't that incompetent and b) arnie told you last time that the number is UNDER the bar.

I really don't understand why this is such a problem.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Bob, you surely cannot pick the wrong one when voting, unless you are voting according to the results so far, and you line those up incorrectly, and you think that one's got 1 vote and I think it should win so I'll vote for it, and then you go back to cast your vote and don't look at the actual limericks again and end up voting for the wrong one. You think it isn't possible to see results so far if you haven't voted, but I have to correct you on that point, you can. You just click see Poll results before voting and it will show them to you. I do it all the time, but I have never voted for the wrong one.

Regards Greg

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
That must have changed. I'm sure back in the early days it wouldn't let you look at the results until you voted.

So here's the thing - DON'T LOOK AT THE RESULTS TILL YOU HAVE VOTED

Problem solved

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
So here's the thing - DON'T LOOK AT THE RESULTS TILL YOU HAVE VOTED

Agreed.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, now I get it. Yes, you are correct; the voting itself is a given. My post above is incorrect about picking the wrong limerick.

What is difficult, and definitely not intuitive, is reading the results.

For my part, I have never looked at the results before I've voted. And I have never voted for my own limerick, even if I think it is the best one there (and I have a few times).

Sorry for the confusion.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is difficult, and definitely not intuitive, is reading the results.

I still don't find this difficult. As I said above, all you need to remember is that the bar refers to the number below it.

posted Hide Post
Alright already - who won?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
arnie, it's not intuitive - and I am not the only one here to feel that way. Several have commented on it, sometimes thinking their limerick had been selected when it hadn't or other times not even realizing they had won.

But, yes, who won? I know it wasn't I... There were some good ones here, but I didn't think mine was half bad.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll sort out the runners and riders and cast my vote if needed tomorrow...

Kalleh... og course it isn't intuitive but it's hardly a big problem surely. Get it wrong once and then you know... you know forever... how it's laid out.
I completely fail to see how anyone would get it wrong a second time.

It's right there in front of you, you just have to look. And think for about half a millisecond before. It's not as if the outcome can be affected by the mistake anyway.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'm completely with Bob in this case. The bar can only either refer to the number above it (wrong) or to the number below it (right). It surely isn't that difficult to remember. Besides, if you forget which it is all you need do is look at the first item. You'll see that it obviously can only refer to the number below. As Bob says, it's not as if it matters, anyway; votes have already been cast.

<Proofreader>
posted
Crossed my eyes are and mixed get the bars.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you win this time, Proof, kindly do not select Uranus as the next location. Big Grin I still can't say it the PC way.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
1. Greg S
2. Greg S
3. proofreader
4. Geoff
5. Kelleh
6. Geoff
7. proofreader
8. Geoff
9. bethree5

It seems that there is a tie between 6 and 7 which gives me a dilemma. I have trouble reciting number six as no matter how hard I try to make it happen the stresses for L5 just won't come out as “joined YIN and yang NEARly till noon” which is what's required. My mouth insists on “JOINED yin and yang”.
On the other hand 7 scans better but I had to wikipedia Kramden to get any idea of what it was about.
Oh, decisions, decisions.

I'll cast my deciding vote for 6 as at least two other people had no problem with L5.

So I hereby declare 6 to be the winner. Well done Geoff.

posted Hide Post
My problem with #7 is that Alice Kramden was not the least bit plump, as was her husband, Ralph. She had a fine figure. Ah, welll...

I'll defer to Proofreader, since I don't wish to go through the trauma of dealing with the poll. Having mental defects just ain't fun! The poll puts it on display. Normal people can do it easily; I can't.

OK, Proof, take it away - but stay away from the outer planets! Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Are you sure, Geoff? You won fair and square. I agree about Alice Kramden, though of course Ralph was more than plump. I liked both 6 and 7. If I recall (these seem so old now!), I voted for Greg's #1. I found the dish running away with the spoon all whimsical and fun!

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kalleh. I was pretty pleased with it and it still makes me smile. The thing that surprised me most about this game was that a couple of games ago I ran a game with virtually the same rhyme, "Bonnie Doon", and yet this location seemed to inspire many more and much better limericks. I liked most of them. I voted for the one that made me smile the most, which was Proof's number 3.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
I voted for Greg's #2, enjoying its whimsy.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought these were pretty darned good, too.

Geoff or Proof, what's up?

posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for Proofreader to post his new location. (Hmmmm... there's no twiddling thumbs icon)

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I liked 6 & 7 equally-- also had trouble w/l.5 meter of 6-- 7 made me laugh aloud-- but I voted for 6 just cuz I prefer those that don't refer to tv shows etc. (My #9 was horribly referential which made it hard to even understand).

I noticed the same thing Greg mentions re Bonnie Doon vs Moon. It is definitely harder for me to think up a limerick for a place I can't connect some experience to. I don't know how those folks at OEDILF manage such clever lims on words they've often never seen before.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
As the actual winner, I have to defer to Geoff. While I appreciate his offering me the chance, I am presently suffering recurring ailments which have sent me to the ER several times lately, so I can't guarantee I'll be available to superintend the contest.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, Proof, sorry to hear your health is in the outhouse.

OK, I'll post a location, but somebody else is going to have to do the poll - I'll muck it up again if I try it again.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Geoff, we can work together on that poll. I am happy to help.

Proof, I am so sorry. We are thinking about you, and treat those nurses well!