Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Minsk... er… Surrey
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Minsk... er… Surrey Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Surrey, I meant Surrey.

Forget I even mentioned Minsk.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
OK now that the voting is over it's official. I'm the winner! And in a trick even your new President couldn't manage I also came second. First AND Second!

So while the world as we know it still exists get your limericks about Surrey in and if we don't have an apocalypse before I get them all we can have another vote in this game in about a week.

Just in case anyone doesn't know ... it rhymes with "hurry", "curry" and even "worry".

(You never need to worry with a tin of Hurry Curry, poisoned especially for you. - King Crimson, Cat Food)

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Good luck Americans with your newly elected President.

I have a part-time job where I teach Primary (I think you guys call it Elementary) School kids, lots of interesting stuff, varying from programming computers, to making flying and tweaking Paper Planes, to how to solve Sudoku and Rubik's Cube. I have never before in my life, heard kids of that tender an age talk politics, ever, and certainly not about Australian politics. But as my classes this evening began, the result of your election was becoming blatantly obvious over here, and all the kids wanted to talk about was the result.

The most common theme in their discussions, was that one way or another, Trump was going to start World War III. Obviously their view is coloured significantly by the views of their parents, but I just found it fascinating that such discussions were taking place amongst people so young. Maybe our World will be in good hands when their generation gets to be our political leaders.

I just told them to wait and see, saying that there was a lot of grandstanding rhetoric uttered during political campaigns, that often don't mean that much in the cold light of the next day. I also pointed out that in the 80s the USA made an Actor their president, and the rest of the world thought it was a bit of joke, but he turned out to be one of the better US Presidents, and maybe Donald Trump will be too. For all our sakes I hope so.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Just curious as to why this is in this thread?

posted Hide Post
Response to your facetious comments, Bob. As for the actor, yes, he was great IF you were a wealthy white male. History repeats, and they won't accept me as a political refugee in Surrey OR Minsk!

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just curious as to why this is in this thread?

Because there are quite a few US citizens participating in this game, and they are my only American friends, so I thought I'd share it, but mainly I was just totally taken aback to see such young kids talking politics ... it would never have happened in my days as a kid, or at least not until I was almost old enough to vote. Certainly didn't mean to offend anybody, and didn't personally have a solid view on it myself, and didn't even know the result until I heard the kids talking about it.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hell, Greg, some of US are in shock! I guess it gives me an excuse to learn a bit more Russian

Черт!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Response to your facetious comments, Bob. As for the actor, yes, he was great IF you were a wealthy white male. History repeats, and they won't accept me as a political refugee in Surrey OR Minsk!

Er... What facetious comments? I usually know when I've made them. Don't think I did this time.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S:
... in the 80s the USA made an Actor their president, and the rest of the world thought it was a bit of joke, but he turned out to be one of the better US President ...

I don't think so. His economic policies favored the rich and worsened the plight of the middle class and poor.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:

Er... What facetious comments? I usually know when I've made them. Don't think I did this time.
On second thought, you're right; the world as we know it HAS blown away.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
When we first started on WC, Richard lived in Surrey.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
People. Rise above all the gloom and despair. Send me limericks about Surrey. It's the easiest one we've had for months and so far I have just one single entry.

posted Hide Post
I'm trying, but it isn't easy when faced with the prospect of living under a US Taliban.

I have submitted one. I have also written a scathing letter to the Democratic National Committee for throwing the election.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

posted Hide Post
I think in songs. So Stone Soul Picnic

Can you surry, can you picnic?
Can you surry, can you picnic?
Surry down to a stoned soul picnic
There'll be lots of time and wine
Red yellow honey, sassafras and moonshine
Red yellow honey
Sassafras and moonshine (moonshine)
Stoned soul, stoned soul
Rain and sun come in akin
And from the sky come the Lord and the lightning
And from the sky come
The Lord and the lightning
Stoned soul, stoned soul
Surry on soul
Surry, Surry, Surry, Surry
There'll be trains of blossoms (there'll be trains of blossoms)
There'll be trains of music (there'll be music)
There'll be trains of trust, trains of golden dust
Come along and surry on sweet trains of thought
Surry on down
Can you surry, can you surry
There'll be lots of time and wine
Red yellow honey, sassafras and moonshine
Red yellow honey
Sassafras and moonshine (moonshine)
Stoned soul, stoned soul
Stoned soul yeah
Surry on soul
Surry

By the way, I haven't been here lately, so I am just now looking at the limerick.

posted Hide Post
So THAT's what the words are! I've never heard well, and most song's words are unintelligible to me.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Still just the two... Frown

posted Hide Post
quote:
Still just the two... Frown

Not anymore Smile

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You are right. Four now. But it's still a pretty poor turn out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

posted Hide Post
I'm trying to think of another one, but it's hurting my head!

posted Hide Post
My headache's gone, but so is any semblance of decency and decorum. I've sent a second, even more atrocious one.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've been bad - but will send one tomorrow, I promise.

posted Hide Post
How about Shufitz?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
six

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Not calling it until I get AT LEAST two more. Most of the ones I have so far don't rhyme in British English and I am dubious about whether they rhyme in US English (though Rhymezone claims they do!)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll tell Shu to get to it, though that and $2.25 will get me on the CTA, as we say in Chicago. Mine is being written now, Bob.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mine likely won't win, but I love it!

posted Hide Post
Bob, please explain what rhymes with "Surrey" in your dialect? Must they have "ey?" Is ending in "ay" or only "y" not likely to rhyme?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
That's the problem... it doesn't relate to spelling

Surrey rhymes with curry, worry and hurry but not with blurry or furry .

YMMV

posted Hide Post
Sorry, Bob, but in my world blurry, flurry, hurry, curry, and furry ALL rhyme with Surrey. Brits must say those words differently than where I live, but I can't even begin to imagine how they could be pronounced, if they don't rhyme with Surrey.

posted Hide Post
Does it rhyme with Minsk? Or Gdansk? Confused

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
http://www.oxfordlearnersdicti...ition/english/blurry
http://dictionary.cambridge.or...iation/english/hurry

But, of course, I accept that they might rhyme for you. Though I have no idea whether you pronounce them both as I pronounce "blurry" or both as I pronounce "hurry". (Or, indeed, both as I pronounce "Gdansk")

Smile

posted Hide Post
I pronounce Gdansk "Danzig." I suppose it does depend on who one's ancestors were. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
http://www.oxfordlearnersdicti...ition/english/blurry
http://dictionary.cambridge.or...iation/english/hurry

But, of course, I accept that they might rhyme for you. Though I have no idea whether you pronounce them both as I pronounce "blurry" or both as I pronounce "hurry". (Or, indeed, both as I pronounce "Gdansk")

Smile

With the word "blurry", I pronounce it (at least, I think I do lol) as the North American version does in the example. That is also how I pronounce all the other words listed, including Surrey. The only difference is the beginning of each word. The rest of the pronunciation is the same.

posted Hide Post
I talked to two other online friends. One lives in Cleveland and the other lives in Denver. Both have lived in different areas of the country, but have lived quite a few years in the cities they reside at now. Both agreed that they pronounce all the words the same and think that they all rhyme. They were surprised to learn that they could be pronounced differently.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Tricky little buggers, vowels. They are often seriously different in the US and UK.

It's why rhymezone doesn't really work for non US poets. The most common one is the cot-caught merger which is similar to this issue of hurry/blurry.

I may record myself reciting a couple of limericks to really demonstrate the problem.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I have re-raised this a couple of times in the past when we have talked about pronunciation.
One of the very first things I ever posted here, all those years ago was this limerick about a colleague

John Rawlinson treated with scorn
Any food that had ever been born
He would simply not eat
Any dish made with meat
(But he might stretch a point for a prawn.)

I was told right away that "prawn" doesn't rhyme but it absolutely does in British English, not even the faintest shadow of a doubt. Anyway, that's not the same as the current question but it is smilar.

posted Hide Post
This is interesting, Bob. I wonder how, why, and when the pronunciation of these words changed. Does Australia and New Zealand say the words like Brits or are they different, too? Sounds like there needs to be a RhymeZone, British version. I nominate you for undertaking the task! lol

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And here is a link... should make it clearer

https://youtu.be/W1l-IDVlG_s

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Certainly "blurry" rhymes with Surrey for me too, and Shu says it works for him. As I have said to Greg here, this is not OEDILF. We have some poetic license, whereas they do not. You, Bob, who likes poems with no rhymes at all (unlike Richard), should be able to see that. Plus, accents are very different. Sometimes your and Greg's rhymes don't work for me too (in the Midwest words ending in er and a don't rhyme, for example), but I might choose it anyway because I like parts of it. Clearly the rhyme is not the only consideration.

Could I please ask that we not criticize pronunciations of words here? Let's leave that to OEDILF. I know there have been hurt feelings about it because I have received PMs from more than one poster. Just don't vote for it.

posted Hide Post
Personally, I have adopted a "have fun" attitude. I am doing it for the fun, the mental process, and just because I want to (I will end the sentence with a preposition to drive all of the perfectionists crazy Wink) . Like you, Kalleh, I don't find the limericks have to rhyme exactly to be enjoyable. So, good or bad limericks, I will still write them when I can, and continue to enjoy reading what everyone submits, including those who have great skill in writing them, and those who don't have as much skill. These are still enjoyable. Don't you just love how we start with the same subject and then take it in different directions, even when using some of the same rhyming words?

By the way, Bob, I enjoyed hearing the differences in how the British say certain words compared to Americans. I have to say though, for me, even the ones that were different could be considered a close enough, if not perfect, rhyme. But, I must admit to not having that good of an ear and not caring enough to haggle over it. I am nearing the end of my life. To keep living, I have to be hooked up to a machine three days of the week and it kind of puts things in perspective for the most part.

Even if your limericks are not everyone's favorite, you can do your best, still have fun, and be glad to just be able to be in the game Smile
Love and peace,
Louise

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I did say
quote:
So for the purposes of voting, keep in mind that what you may think isn’t rhyme might be a rhyme for the US.

Everything else has been a)because I think it's interesting and b) for information.

The simple truth is that just as in my "prawn" limerick NO American will ever consider it a rhyme for scorn/born, in all the ones that use "blurry" or "furry" no Brit will ever consider it a rhyme for Surrey/hurry/curry. I made and posted that little video so that Americans could just hear why that is.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
You, Bob, who likes poems with no rhymes at all (unlike Richard), should be able to see that.

I don't think you would suggest that I should write limericks with no rhymes though. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Here's one of the two that I submitted but withdrew once I learned that they didn't rhyme:

Regarding that evening in Surrey
Events even now are quite blurry
Met a woman named Glynnis
We had way too much Guinness
How'd her knickers end up in my curry?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think you would suggest that I should write limericks with no rhymes though.

And why not, prithee?

Do you recall
There was a young man from St. Bees
Who was stung on the nose by a wasp.
When asked, Does it hurt?
He replied, Yes it does,
But I'm so glad it wasn't a hornet!

posed by no less an author than W.S.Gilbert...

But if you're going to do that it has to be done poetically. Whatever that means.

(Just a digression...)

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shu and I love it, Hab. Smile And I would vote for that one.
quote:
he simple truth is that just as in my "prawn" limerick NO American will ever consider it a rhyme for scorn/born, in all the ones that use "blurry" or "furry" no Brit will ever consider it a rhyme for Surrey/hurry/curry.
You are correct; I do remember and they would not work for me. I think it's much like the a and er endings.

I'll ask Richard about the "Surrey" "hurry" and "curry," though I am sure he'll agree with you. Those rhymes are all perfect to both me and Shu, as I said. Like Sattva, I have wondered if my ear is good in hearing subtle differences. However, Shu's is, I know, and he says they are perfect rhymes to him. We had a good conversation about "Mary," merry" and "marry." He sees the differences in those pronunciations, while I do not.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
surrey hurry and curry are rhymes - it's blurry and furry that are rhymes for you but not us

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Gottcha. On to Richard English, though I expect he'll say Surrey doesn't rhyme with anything. Wink