Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick workshop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick workshop Login/Join

posted
re:

A limerick's easy to form:
This meter's the rhythmical norm
And the rhyme scheme should be
"A, A, B, B, A." See?
If it's not, then expect a small storm.

Actually, I though of sending it on to CJ but, focusing on the weak points, decided it wasn't worthy. Line 5 in particular lacks punch, unless you're part of a group that Workshops limericks. I haven't yet come up with a way to make it stand on its own.

And in Line 2 - should it be "This Meter's the rhythmical norm..." or perhaps the other way 'round - "This rhythm's the metrical norm..." ?

Any thoughts, anyone?

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Hi Hab, it may be just me but I actually pronounce limerick as if it only has 2 syllables, as in lim-rick, in which case I'd be adding a word to Line 1:

A limerick's quite easy to form:

For the record regarding Line 2, I think either way is fine but the alliterative nature of THis, THe and rhyTHmical seems to work better the original way you put it.

And because it reminds me of this:

1 1 was a racehorse
2 2 was 1 2
1 1 1 1 race
2 2 1 1 2.

I would write line 4 as:

"A, A, B, B, A." C?

But I guess it wouldn't work for most people. It also reminds me of the Two Ronnies skit where they are in a restaurant, Barker (B) is the customer and Corbett (C) is the waiter, and their conversation goes something likes this:

C: L O.
B: L O. F U N E M?
C: S V F M.
B: F U N E X?
C: S V F X.
B: I F M N X.

... etc

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post