Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game: Logaoedic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game: Logaoedic Login/Join

Picture of wordmatic
posted
Logaoedic is our next bluffer. Try well now, and guess your best! Please send me your daffynitions by PM.

Wordmatic

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordmatic,

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Just to ensure that the original thread pops to the top of the list, I'm posting this redundant message:

Wanted: your daffynitions for Logaoedic!
(Send 'em via PM ASAP!!)

So far, only Arnie and Jo have sent me theirs. I just know there are others out there waiting to break through...

Wordmatic

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordmatic,

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay...I missed this Wordplay thread, and we have 2 Bluffing game words going at once, as well as an Entitled game. Not a good time to be out of commission!

I have sent you one, Wordmatic, and we'll work on yours in a few days, Pearce.

Now to the entitled game...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kalleh:
OK. My mistake. I've sent my PM to wordmatic

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I know the teachers have loaded us up with homework this weekend, but the four entries in so far are feeling a little lonely.
Wink

Thanks--
WM

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
incidentally is the word logaoedic (as in the title) or logaoetic (as in the 2nd post)?

either way my def is on the way

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Oops, Bob: I made a typo in that second post, so I've just fixed it. I think I did that after I had fallen asleep in my chair in front of the TV, though I cannot claim that I was still asleep at the time. Red Face

wordmatic

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Hab and Asa, shall we wait for you?

Wordmatic

posted Hide Post
It's on its way, but a 48-hour turnaround-time requirement is really a bit fast for this kind of thing ... in submitting both candidates and selections.

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Oh, OK--it was the first one I'd done, and nearly 3 days had passed by the time I wrote that (since my original post, which got buried quickly and was missed by many.) So, is it customary to let these go five days, or even a week, before posting the replies?

WM

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
We normally run them for as long as it takes to get at least half a dozen definitions. If people are a bit slow responding a gentle reminder after three or four days is OK. If it goes much over about a week I generally make up the numbers with a couple of my own.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Here are your daffynitions for logaoedic. I've removed the spelling variations, since they were my fault! Please vote for the one you think is correct.

Wordmatic

1. Relating to a flowering plant of the Gentian family.
2. Listless or without energy; prostrate.
3. The results of underground long-distance exploration of terrain in order to determine its potential for producing petroleum.
4. A Canadian lumberjack who sings continually as he fells the timber.
5. To be knowledgeable in the art and science of transportation and dispersal of large quantities of materiel; a logistician.
6. A poem or line of verse in which different metrical feet are mixed to give an effect like speech or prose.
7. Relating to laws that are widely upheld but not written down.
8. One who coins words.
9. Having a broad knowledge of corporate symbols.
10. The feeling of loneliness while surrounded by people.

posted Hide Post
Can we old people with bad eyes request that in the future the lists of daffynitions be presented with a space between each? I'm having a very hard time reading this list. Sorry.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jo:
Can we old people with bad eyes request that in the future the lists of daffynitions be presented with a space between each? I'm having a very hard time reading this list. Sorry.

Sorry, Jo--I'm older with bad eyes too, but I keep my screen resolution at 800 x 600, which makes things look bigger, so I didn't realize. Here's the list again with spaces this time.

1. Relating to a flowering plant of the Gentian family.

2. Listless or without energy; prostrate.

3. The results of underground long-distance exploration of terrain in order to determine its potential for producing petroleum.

4. A Canadian lumberjack who sings continually as he fells the timber.

5. To be knowledgeable in the art and science of transportation and dispersal of large quantities of materiel; a logistician.

6. A poem or line of verse in which different metrical feet are mixed to give an effect like speech or prose.

7. Relating to laws that are widely upheld but not written down.

8. One who coins words.

9. Having a broad knowledge of corporate symbols.

10. The feeling of loneliness while surrounded by people.

P.S. If you hold down the CTRL button and hit the + key a time or two or three, it'll increase the typesize on the screen.

WM

posted Hide Post
Yes. I had forgotten that trick. Thank you for reminding me. In honor of being mixed up, I'll try #6

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
If you're using Windows you can also hold down the Ctrl key and turn the mouse wheel - assuming you have a wheel mouse, that is!

Six for me, please, too.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ohh, that control-mousewheel trick is a useful one. Thanks for the tip! Control-plus works on my Mac but not the PCs at work.

I'll have to be seduced by Number Six also. The pull of the OE-ligature toward the Greek is just too powerful to resist.

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
# 7, please.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Remember to vote early and often!

We have 10 candidates, but only 4 votes thus far, and even an anagram over on Jumbo V, but so far...no quorum. A few more ballots cast and I'll wrap this up so that we can move onto Pearce's next killer.

Alice! Good!

WM

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
jo and arnie say 6, it's gonna be 6.

So I'll pick the perfectly ridiculous 4.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Well, I'd say this game has rolled down the hill and come to a halt halfway to the finish line. It's been 11 days since the start, so I'll wrap it up:

LOGAOEDIC:

1. Relating to a flowering plant of the Gentian family. By Arnie

2. Listless; without energy. prostrate. By wordmatic

3. The results of underground long-distance exploration of terrain in order to determine its potential for producing petroleum. By Jerry Thomas

4. A Canadian lumberjack who sings continually as he fells the timber. By pearce, selected by Bob

5. To be knowledgeable in the art and science of transportation and dispersal of large quantities of materiel; a logistician. By Jo

6. A poem or line of verse in which different metrical feet are mixed to give an effect like speech or prose. The real definition (Encarta), as three who voted guessed: Jo, Arnie and haberdasher. OED says "a. Epithet of various metres in which trochees are combined with dactyls. Also, quasi-sb., a logaoedic verse." Merriam-Webster adds anapests and iambs to the definition.

7. Relating to laws that are widely upheld but not written down. By Bob Hale, selected by Kalleh.

8. One who coins words. By Kalleh

9. Having a broad knowledge of corporate symbols. By haberdasher

10. The feeling of loneliness while surrounded by people. By caterwauller

These were wonderful definitions, everyone, but unfortunately not quite enough to fool our brilliant friends! I'll try to choose a more kirtle word next time. ;-)

Wordmatic

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Good word! Sorry I didn't vote - don't know how I missed it.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
DAMN!!! I missed this game completely! I am no longer getting them as an e-mail as I used to. Can anyone tell me how to reset my computer?

Asa the frustrated

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Asa,

Go to the "Wordplay" Forums list and click on "Notify" in the toolbar at the top. You'll get three choices; choose the one you want then the "Add Notification" button. That way you'll get notification of all new posts in the "Wordplay" forum. You can also subscribe to individual threads in the same way from within the threads.

You might want go to your Personal Zone then click on "Notifications" to see the threads/forums to which you are already subscribed. It also might be an idea to check (again in your Personal Zone) that your email address is still current.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Thanks, arnie! I'll do that just as soon as I get back from visiting my son-in-law et famille. I'll be gone for a week.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post