Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game...theremin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game...theremin Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
The next word in the Bluffing Game is: theremin.

Please send me your daffynitions by PM. I will post them as soon as I receive enough. Thanks!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
The what? Or there what? Whatever, my guess is in the mail.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have 6 daffynitions. Going once...going twice.......

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Do what the rest of us have done, and add a couple more yourself!

posted Hide Post
Better late than. I'm in.

Posts: 6266 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Alright, Asa.

Now this will be very interesting! Here are the daffynitions, along with the real definition.

1. THEREMIN (mathematics) - (n) Preliminary step in a proof, to be established in the course of proving a theorem. Cf. lemma

2. THEREMIN - Small bits of rock sifted out from the ore after a mine site is blasted

3. THEREMIN - Low-end realtors

4. THEREMIN - Considered the first electronic musical instrument, invented in 1919 by Russian born Lev Sergeivitch Termen, which he anglicized to Leon Theremin

5. THEREMIN - 225 mg tablet; take one by mouth three times daily

6. THEREMIN - A radioactive bolus used in gastric diagnosis

7. THEREMIN - A triple dose of medicine in pill form, provided for patients who are liable to be away from home for a day and would be unable to take smaller doses regularly

8. THEREMIN - A Cretacious period shark-like creature which had a circular set of teeth on its lower jaw

9. THEREMIN - A two bladed plough in which the blades are mounted one behind the other at slightly offset angles

10. THEREMIN - A medieval device used by brewers for measuring the temperature of a brew vat

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It's a radioactive cretacious brewer's device for filling realtors with small bits of rock. Uhh, maybe not. Probably a funny electronic instrument. Let's try 4.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
For me, it's a toss-up, so I'm voting for Number Two.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Number 4 sort of sings to me.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Number four rings a bell with me.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm yelling FORE for FOUR. Whatever for? For the heck of it. That's the answer that's foremost in my mind, nothing else being forthcoming. And that, ladies and gents, is how the weird front is in Iowa today.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FOUR-score and six years ago...electricity had hardly just been invented, which makes it even more impressive. And Theremin lies the rub! All the others are subtle attempts to exploit our gullibility with hints of therapy, theorem, the remains, the ReMax, and stuff like that - shame on us! Wink.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,

Posts: 6266 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else want to make a guess before we put this baby to bed?

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I guess #8 . . . just to be different.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I have had a lot of private messages from people saying that they know this word, including with links and songs and all! My word barometer failed me...Shu! This is one word that he hadn't heard of, even though it apparently is fairly common. Thanks for humoring me, CW and Jer! Wink

1. THEREMIN (mathematics) - (n) Preliminary step in a proof, to be established in the course of proving a theorem. Cf. lemma Hab

2. THEREMIN - Small bits of rock sifted out from the ore after a mine site is blasted CW; guessed by Jerry

3. THEREMIN - Low-end realtors Hab

4. THEREMIN - Considered the first electronic musical instrument, invented in 1919 by Russian born Lev Sergeivitch Termen, which he anglicized to Leon Theremin correct; chosen by Hab, Bob, Jo, Arnie, Asa

5. THEREMIN - 225 mg tablet; take one by mouth three times daily Jerry

6. THEREMIN - A radioactive bolus used in gastric diagnosis Asa

7. THEREMIN - A triple dose of medicine in pill form, provided for patients who are liable to be away from home for a day and would be unable to take smaller doses regularly Arnie BTW, do any of you remember the Beach Boys and Good Vibrations, Arnie asks.

8. THEREMIN - A Cretacious period shark-like creature which had a circular set of teeth on its lower jaw Asa; guessed by CW

9. THEREMIN - A two bladed plough in which the blades are mounted one behind the other at slightly offset angles Bob

10. THEREMIN - A medieval device used by brewers for measuring the temperature of a brew vat Jo

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Wow - I really had no idea! I'm going to have to find out more about the Theremin . . . cool!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CW, as it turns out, I found this a very intriguing word. I almost wish we would have posted about it, instead of bluffing about it. Here is the link where I first found it, and here are two links that Hab sent me.

posted Hide Post
Wikipedia has an article on it, which includes a list of performers who have used it. The first sentence starts out "The theremin or thereminvox (originally pronounced [teremiːn] but often anglicized as [ˈθɛɹəmɪn] [1]) is one of the earliest fully electronic musical instruments. Invented in 1919 by Russian Lev Sergeivitch Termen (also Termin, later gallicized to Léon Theremin), ... ."

The pronunciation of the name of the instrument was anglicized but the name of the inventor was gallicized? Can someone explain?

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I can't explain it, Tinman...but will you, pretty please, post our next word????

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay...apparently Tinman doesn't want to. Anyone? Or is it time for a break from this game?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll take it if you like.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post