Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Vote for Limerick Game: Noosa
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vote for Limerick Game: Noosa Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
Looks like Kalleh's limerick is not forthcoming so I think it is time to Vote on Noosa and move on to the next game. I will try Richard's suggestion of labelling the limericks after their appearance to see if that makes the Results Form any easier to follow.

Question:
The morals are definitely looser
When the schoolies descend upon Noosa.
Though she was a spunk
And he was a hunk,
He was clearly too drunk to seduce 'er.
Limerick A

There once was a lady from Noosa
Who sported a shapely caboose-a
she carried a sap
to set straight the hap-
less freshmen so bold as to goose 'er.
Limerick B

A bad dentist, who’s now leaving Noosa,
Said, “I must bid to you an adieu, sa.
To old Alabam’
I’m going. I am
Assured that there all Tuscaloosa.”
Limerick C

In schoolies' week, students in Noosa
When spotting a young girl might goose her.
And it could work although,
As we older chaps know,
There are far better ways to seduce her.
Limerick D

A voyeur, a young film producer,
Was secretly filming in Noosa.
But the evil young swine,
Posted nothing online,
For his camera had lost a transducer.
Limerick E

At auditions for “Neighbours” in Noosa,
I swore at the TV producer.
The randy old fart
Had given my part
To a starlet whose morals were looser.
Limerick F

There once was a fellow of Noosa
Whose trousers got looser and looser
When they fell down completely
He behaved indiscreetly
And became called "the great reproducer".
Limerick G

A schoolie who came up to Noosa
And fell for a famous producer,
Soon found her new squeeze
Was nought but a sleaze
Who had used his big name to seduce 'er.
Limerick H

A breeder of horses in Noosa
Sought to purchase a fine appaloosa
But he said, “I must wait
Since I can’t afford freight
For the shipping from Kallamazoo, sir.”
Limerick I

Choices:
Limerick A
Limerick B
Limerick C
Limerick D
Limerick E
Limerick F
Limerick G
Limerick H
Limerick I

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Odd that the Wordplay view shows no views for this Page and yet there are 4 votes already recorded?

Edited this in after the original Post: As soon as I posted this message suddenly it had 28 views?

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Hopefully a few more votes will break the tie that exists at present. However should it not be broken do you guys have a precedent for breaking ties, such as the game initiator having a casting vote.

Regards Greg

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S:
Odd that the Wordplay view shows no views for this Page and yet there are 4 votes already recorded?

Edited this in after the original Post: As soon as I posted this message suddenly it had 28 views?

Yes, that sort of thing has been noticed before. It looks like the software only displays the number of views for threads with at least one reply.

We've never had a tie so far, but I suppose we'd better arrange a policy in case of need. I agree with your suggestion that the original poster has the casting vote.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Maybe some of the new members who haven't posted might like to get involved in the voting.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
As I wrote elsewhere, this form of voting will work far better if we have a reasonable number voting; six is no more than the votes of those who submitted limericks.

Maybe a posting on another part of the board might encourage those who don't write limericks and who therefore don't even bother to look at the limerick thread, to cast a vote.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Richard, unless you can go out and get more active members, please stop harping on about the number of votes. Six votes is around one fifth of the active members. You've no reason to expect other members to be interested in limericks.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
quote:
You've no reason to expect other members to be interested in limericks.

I'm not expecting them to be interested in limericks; I am expecting them to be interested in voting. With only six votes for nine limericks this poll system is neither effective nor fair.

And my suggestion for posting elsewhere on the site was a suggestion for getting more active members - and to get more of the active members voting. If there are 30 active members, as you suggest, and were that number to vote, this would make the poll idea sensible.

If you have a better idea then why not propose it?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I have no better idea. Since you have not either I suggest you refrain from repeating the same complaint each time we vote on limericks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Since you have not either I suggest you refrain from repeating the same complaint each time we vote on limericks.

It is more an observation than a complaint - but regardless of what it's called, if the deficiencies of the system remain then they need to be pointed out. Acceptance of the inferior ensures that the inferior remains inferior.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I apologize, Greg. I have been so busy at work, and it is showing up on Wordcraft. There are some good ones here, and I wish I would have sent something in!

It was interesting voting without having my own limerick to worry about. It's a truly different perspective.

I continue to be an outlier when it comes to limerick preferences, and I am now beginning to understand why mine seldomly win. I also realize that the polls, rather than having someone select a winner, force me to read and analyze the limericks in more depth.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Since I've been playing this game, 8 or 9 votes seems to be about as many as we'll get. I'll give it another day and if there is no tie-breaking voter coming forward, I will declare a winner using "the game initiator's casting vote", which since there has been no objection to the suggestion (and support from Arnie), I assume you're all reasonably happy for me to do.

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
OK - I am declaring a result using my casting vote. I would love to declare Stella the winner to make it a Southern Hemisphere Hat-Trick (3 in a row for those in the US who may be unfamiliar with the terminology), but it wouldn't be right to do that because I voted for Proofreader's very clever limerick. With its brilliant play on words with the Alabama town of Tuscaloosa as well as the clever rhyme with "adieu, sir" it certainly met my call for a somewhat obtuser rhyme than looser. Proof's other limerick also gave us appaloosa. But I did like Stella's "Neighbours" limerick a lot. Those of you that don't know "Neighbours" is an Aussie soapie that's been running over 20 years and gave the previously discussed best butt in the world, Kylie Minogue, her career start. The full list of authors was:

A - Greg S - Hunk and Spunk
B - Bethree - Caboose-a
C - Proofreader - Tuscaloosa (the winner)
D - Richard - goose her
E - Richard - transducer
F - Stella - Neighbours (only lost by my casting vote)
G - Bob Hale - reproducer
H - Greg - sleazy producer
I - Proofreader - appaloosa

So it's over to Proof for the next town.

By the way did people think labelling the limericks after rather than before made understanding the Results Form easier to follow, or not?

Regards Greg

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Proof!

I'm not surprised the voting was close; all the limericks were of a very high standard in my opinion. Even those that obtained no votes were very good.

I can't say that rearranging the limerick labels helped or not for me, Greg, but then I was used to the board's little quirks already.

<Proofreader>
posted
Thanks for the vote, Greg. I'll put out a new town shortly but hang on. My computer is acting up and threatening to destroy the universe.

posted Hide Post
if it destroys the universe, will we be left with the iverse?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'm having serious problems accessing the Net and my e-mails are unavailable. Have to post three or four times to get a message out. Or I may just lose the connection.

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Well done, Proof - great L5 pun.

I agree with Kalleh - I like the anonymity of the poll and the fact that everyone has to consider all the limericks and not just flick through them. All these limericks were good, I found I had to look for flaws to eliminate them because there were any number of contenders.

I don’t think it really matters how many votes there are or if it’s “fair” since we all know it’s only people’s opinions anyway … and since there are no big cash prizes involved (which, of course, would change everything). Big Grin

On the assumption that comments are acceptable, I really liked Bob’s limerick but it came adrift a little in L5 where the metre got tricky. Others had the same prob, IMO. Over at the OEDILF, Buonarotti called it “Delusional Scansion”

“… a psychological disorder characterized by a limitless ability to convince oneself that the natural stresses in a limerick fall only and exactly where one needs them.”

This is amazingly easy to do - if you say the thing over a few times you can force the stress pretty much anywhere you want it to be. One way round it is to let the limerick go cold and then read it over again or get someone else to read it, especially out loud.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Hi Proof,
quote:
I'm having serious problems accessing the Net and my e-mails are unavailable. Have to post three or four times to get a message out. Or I may just lose the connection.

If you want to just reply with your your chosen town (and a bit about it), I'm happy to collect the limericks and conduct the Poll, although there's probably someone else in your part of the world who actually knows something about your chosen town who'd be able to do it better than me, but I will if nobody else volunteers.

Also when you get your email working again I'd appreciate a reply to my PM to you on the worthiness for submission of some of my suggestions for the dis-game.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Just so you know, Richard, I chose yours. I loved the concept as well as the rhyming with "transducer." Yes, line 1 wasn't quite as smooth as I'd like, but it would only take some minor tweaking.

Congrats, proof!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
My provider has "apparently" fixed the glitch, or so I'm told, and everything seems to be wroking, although I lost a scad of e-mails. So, as I said, as soon as the Bluffing game ends, I'll post the next place name.

And while I'd like to take credit, I think my L5 was born in an old Marx Brothers sketch.

posted Hide Post
You loved the concept of a voyeuristic young man, Kalleh? Red Face

But thank you for your vote Wink

Richard English