Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Strange pronunciations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange pronunciations Login/Join

posted
Look at my name! Talk about strange words! What other words can you come up with, using unusual spellings?

posted Hide Post
OK, let me rephrase this!

My nicname takes letters from other words and puts them together to form an unusual spelling of a very common word.

laugh
women
caution

I especially love to twist word spellings, sometimes making a word easier enuff or sometimes making them harder ghoti! Can you come up with something along these lines?

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Here are just a few paragraphs from a tongue-in-cheek essay proposing to simplify our spelling by making one change each year. It is striking that by the time you finish the essay, you are having very little trouble with the new spellings.

In 1946, for example, we would urge the elimination of the soft "c", for which we would substitute "s". Sertainly, such an improvement would be selebrated in all sivic-minded sircles as being suffisiently worth the trouble, and students in all sities in the land would be reseptive toward any change eliminating the nesessity of learning the differense between the two letters.

In 1947, sinse only the hard "c" would be left, it would be possible to substitute "k" for it, both letters being pronounsed identikally. Imagine how greatly only two years of this prosess would klarify the konfusion in the minds of students. Already we would have eliminated an entire letter from the alphabet. Typewriters and linotypes kould all be built with one less letter, and all the manpower and materials previously devoted to making "c's" kould be turned toward raising the national standard of living.

In the fase of so many notable improvements, it is easy to foresee that by 1948, "National Easy Language Week" would be a pronounsed sukses. All skhool tshildren would be looking forward with konsiderable exsitement to the holiday, and in a blaze of national publisity it would be announsed that the double konsonant "ph" no longer existed, and that the sound would henseforth be written with "f" in all words. This would make sutsh words as "fonograf" twenty persent shorter in print.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
The above changes in spelling make English look German, and many German words are a whole paragraph long!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post