Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Kew
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Kew Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
Kew is an inner Melbourne Eastern suburb, that is home to some of its oldest and biggest mansions, as well as a number of Melbourne's big Private schools including Carey Grammar (co-ed Baptist), Xavier College (boys Catholic) and MLC (girls Uniting Church, formerly Methodist Ladies College). MLC occupied much news-time last year when its long-term much-loved Principal was sacked by the Board. Despite the fact that many of Melbourne's wealthiest people live in Kew, it's most well-known and possibly most loved resident,was also one of its poorer residents. His name was Robin Madden but he was better known as "The Dancing Man". Sadly he passed away last year. Type Kew Dancing Man into Google if you want to find out more about him.

As for the rhyming, Kew is a homonym for queue. For me it rhymes with due (dyoo) but not do (doo), but I'm sure we'll accept either as rhymes, especially since most Americans pronounce new as noo anyway, even though most other English speakers pronounce it as nyoo.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Interesting story about him in a Melbourne paper. The headline said, Kew Dancing Man Passes Away" directly under an ad which said, "Moved to a New Home." How appropriate.

Unfortunately, had he lived here, he would have been committed long ago.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I have received my first entry and it is setting a very high standard. Even my wife who hates most of our limericks, especially mine and especially the blue ones, thought it was very funny.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll get mine to you tomorrow. Herein lies the difficulties with understanding everyone's rhyming: due and do are perfect rhymes for me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Well yes actually they are really perfect rhymes for me too, but the point I was really trying to make is that to me they are not homonyms. Looking at it another way, I couldn't use queue as a rhyme for Kew because it is a homonym, but I could use coup, which is not a homonym of Kew (to me).

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
Hopefully you got mine. It sounds like you might have already gotten a winner, but I like to keep trying. One day I'll get a vote Smile

Kew seems like a good rhyming word.

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah...I had wondered about queue. Shoot!

posted Hide Post
I might have a couple of bad rhymes in mine now.....I better think about it a bit.

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
If your name falls between A and Q,
Then you must stand on left in your queue.
Put a space if you please
Between all Qs and Ps,
Dot your eyes, cross your teas while in Kew.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Sheesh. This thread made me realize I've lived in the metro area so long I've lost this component of my hometown accent. I'm sure I grew up in upstate Nyoo York. But now I'm from Noo Jersey. Nu.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Got a few coming in now. Should be able to publish a Poll in few days

Regards Greg

<Proofreader>
posted
I don't think this one would stand a chance but why waste it?

The butts of the women I knew
Were deficient in size, never grew.
They all learned, just too late,
Men won't look for a mate
Anywhere near that "Little Ass" Kew.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I've got 6 to date, do we want to go to the Poll now, or is there someone out there still working on one that's nearly done?

Regards Greg

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
One more on its way

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am ready to vote!

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
The Poll is posted

Regards Greg