Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Beer Names Quiz
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beer Names Quiz Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
For the last two days I have been attending the Wolverhampton Beer Festival and I have in front of me the program.

The following quiz occurred to me.

All you have to do is, for each of the name pairs given decide which of the two names is the brewery and which is the beer. To make it a bit harder if the beer name included words like "bitter"/"mild"/"IPA" and so on I have left it out.

Here are two examples to show you what I mean.

example 1: Arundel/Black Stallion
example 2: Pale Rider/Kelham Island

In example 1 the Brewery is Arundel which makes a beer called Black Stallion so the answer is brewery/beer.

In example 2 the Brewery is Kelham Island who make a beer called Pale Rider so the answer is beer/brewery

OK here's the quiz. Fifteen pairs of beers and breweries.
Answers in a PM if you are interested. I'll be especially interested to see how many fellow British enthusiasts can get.

1. Fallen Angel/Cowgirl Gold
2. Entire/Hopback
3. Weetwood/Cheshire Cat
4. Catnap/Barngate
5. Macbeth/Deeside
6. Pheasant Plucker/Fuzzy Duck
7. Howardtown/Milltown
8. Kirby Lonsdale/Ruskin's
9. Quercus Folium/Oakleaf
10. Wharfebank/Camfell Flame
11. 500/Tryst
12. Old Mill/Yorkshire
13. Liverpool Session/Liverpool One
14. Golden Bolt/Box Steam
15. Acorn/Gorlovka

You probably won'y know the answers but try to guess. It will be interesting to see if the names really are as interchangeable as I think they are,

(And it was a rather nice festival. Not too crowded this year; I sampled 23 different beers (in halves of course!) over two sessions. Very well organised and very enjoyable.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Fascinating. And it goes to show just how diverse our brewing industry is nowadays. It is also one of the few British manufacturing industries that is growing and profitable - in spite of the Temperance movement-led attempts to ruin it.

Incidentally, one of the breweries cited (I'll maybe tell you which one when the results have been announced) has some of the best bottle label designs I have ever seen.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've sent Bob my answers. There were two where I'd already heard of the brewery but the rest were a real challenge - and I'm a real ale drinker myself. Good quiz!

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there are more than two people who would like to have a go at this. I know it's impossible but give it a try anyway.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And after attending a workshop on the use of metaphor and simile in poetry yesterday I afternoon I popped out with a friend for a meal and a few beers around Codsall bringing my total to twenty eight different beers sampled in three days.

I'm taking a few days off from the pub now.