Wordcraft Community Home Page
Bluffing Game: [b]Nicker[/b]

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/4800014686

March 22, 2017, 10:26
Geoff
Bluffing Game: [b]Nicker[/b]
There are several uses for this word, both slang and mainstream. Some say it's another term for a horses's neigh or a person's laugh; some say it's slang for a Pound sterling; some say it's half a pair of knickers - which might get a bit drafty, IMHO. There's another definition I'm wanting you to discover. Meanwhile, do your worst to submit daffynitions via PM, and let's see what else it might be.

Hey, why isn't Nicker in bold in the topic line?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,
March 22, 2017, 20:44
Kalleh
Not sure why, Geoff. Perhaps you can't bold in the subject lines? Mine is in.
March 23, 2017, 04:39
sattva
The subject line has it already in bold and so it doesn't need and can't be added or taken away.
March 23, 2017, 13:20
haberdasher
---and [formatting]*[/formatting] instructions don't apply to the title line
March 23, 2017, 14:59
Geoff
Where's a Russian hacker when you need one!
March 23, 2017, 15:21
sattva
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Where's a Russian hacker when you need one!

In meetings with Trump or one of his hackies?
March 28, 2017, 21:20
Kalleh
How are we doing with this one?
March 29, 2017, 04:59
Geoff
Not so well. I need a couple more. If I don't get more by tomorrow I'll add a few of my own and publish them.
April 03, 2017, 07:46
Geoff
No more have been forthcoming, so here are the daffynitions, and the real one:

1. A bookmark

2. A slice of cheese

3. In woodworking, a plane blade placed ahead of, and perpendicular to, the main one, to prevent damage to cross-grain sections

4. A type of flat bottomed boat used especially on the Norfolk broads.

5. A dog leash

5. A person who is stingy.

6. A term for bargaining until one attains the desired goal, usually involving paying the lowest amount possible for an item.

7. (v.t.) steal

8. To cuckold

9. A good footballer (rhyming slang for "kicker")

10. obs. One who starts an aeroplane by grasping the propeller and pulling downwards

Which is real? Which is your favorite phony one?
April 03, 2017, 12:52
arnie
1. and 2. are the same, surely? Wink

I'll go for 10, mainly because I know some of Geoff's interests. 3. sounded plausible but difficult to visualise.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
April 03, 2017, 13:51
sattva
I am going for 7 as the correct one and 10 as the most original!
April 03, 2017, 17:51
BobHale
I'm also tempted by ten because of Geoff's interests but I'll go for 3 as both the most original and the most likely.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
April 04, 2017, 09:23
haberdasher
I'll take #4. I like also 5, 6, 7, and 8 but they're all the same generally derogatory theme, and I eliminate the lot of them as duplicates

Clever: 3, 4, 5, 10. Can't elevate one over the others.

Bob - if 10 is the cleverest and the most inventive, it can't be simultaneously the real thing. Or is that your point?!

And apropos of 3...I don't see how a blade perpendicular to the main blade of a plane could cut anything at all ! It's moving parallel to the edge!
April 04, 2017, 14:54
sattva
I have always known I am not a detail-oriented person. I just now noticed that there are two number 5's. How many of you noticed that the first time reading the list? So, we have a dog leash that's stingy or a person that's so stingy that they bought the cheapest dog leash possible. Big Grin
April 04, 2017, 19:17
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
I'll take #4. I like also 5, 6, 7, and 8 but they're all the same generally derogatory theme, and I eliminate the lot of them as duplicates

Clever: 3, 4, 5, 10. Can't elevate one over the others.

Bob - if 10 is the cleverest and the most inventive, it can't be simultaneously the real thing. Or is that your point?!

And apropos of 3...I don't see how a blade perpendicular to the main blade of a plane could cut anything at all ! It's moving parallel to the edge!
My vote was actually for three but your point would still stand... except that I assert that WHOEVER coined the phrase originally was most inventive.

April 05, 2017, 05:05
Geoff
TWO #5s? AAAAAARRRRGGHHHHH!!! Mea clutza! What say y'all: Correct the numbers and start over, or let it stand?
April 05, 2017, 07:46
BobHale
Let it stand. If anyone votes for 5 it's easy enough to ask which 5 they mean.

April 07, 2017, 11:33
sattva
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Let it stand. If anyone votes for 5 it's easy enough to ask which 5 they mean.

Good idea, Bob! It's the logical thing to do.
April 07, 2017, 13:05
Geoff
I'll post the daffynitions and the real one tomorrow.
April 08, 2017, 12:39
Geoff
Here they are:
1, 2, 8 and 10 must have been mine since I can't find any PMs from anyone with those daffynitions.

3 is the real one. It also applies to a spur on a traditional wood boring bit. https://www.google.com/search?...mgrc=oRau9LNqO0OGyM: and https://books.google.com/books...boring%20bit&f=false Scroll down to fig. 84

4 was Bob's

5a was Kalleh's

5b and 6 were Sattva's

7 and 9 were Haberdasher's