neologisms by children

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/4841098872

December 11, 2005, 13:10
hepburn26
neologisms by children
i love this!

http://finslippy.typepad.com/finslippy/2005/12/i_recover_henry.html

what words or phrases have you heard- or invented as a child?
December 11, 2005, 14:12
Cat
I think I've said this on here before somewhere, but when I was very young (from about 2ish), I had the phrase 'owy owy cumpa' ('owy' pronounced to rhyme with 'cow-ee'), which according to my mum could be a substitute for a word I didn't know, or an expression on its own. And presumably, anything I wanted it to be.

I make up words now if I can't think of anything suitable that already exists, although they're usually just mutations of 'real' words, so my friends generally know what I mean. I'm not the only one either.
December 11, 2005, 20:43
Kalleh
How fun! I loved "shnerb!"

My sweet youngest daughter used to sit in her car seat, thrusting herself backward and forward, sing heartily...3 songs that she made up! Her neologisms were probably more that she had trouble with pronunciations, but they were hilarious anyway. She kept saying, while driving, "Look at all those Hoisonplays." We didn't get it for a long time...then it came to us "license plates!"
December 13, 2005, 05:05
hepburn26
hoisonplays...i love it!

i used to think it was 'a round of the plause' (applause) and called swings 'hours', I don't know why...
December 13, 2005, 18:21
haberdasher
I'm still partial to using a "fly-smacker" in the summertime...even though its inventor is now 37.
December 13, 2005, 18:32
Kalleh
I love "fly-smacker!" I think I am going to use that from now on, too!
December 14, 2005, 07:36
shufitz
quote:
My sweet youngest daughter used to sit in her car seat, thrusting herself backward and forward, sing heartily...3 songs that she made up! Her neologisms were probably more that she had trouble with pronunciations.
Ah yes, I renember it well.
December 14, 2005, 07:38
shufitz
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
I'm still partial to using a "fly-smacker" in the summertime...
I thought it was a flash-water, isn't it? Wink