Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing game - fucha
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing game - fucha Login/Join

Picture of TrossL
posted
Alrighty, here we go again...
Send me your daffynitions (that means your made up definition) for "fucha" (pronounced FOO-hah) by PM. After I get about 10 or so entries I will post them, along with the correct definition, and anyone and everyone can guess for their choice. The person whose daffynition garners the most votes will be the winner.
(The person who PMs me the actual definition, cut and pasted from the internet, will be publicly ridiculed.)
Just kidding... sort of...
Let the game begin!

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I'm in. Ante up!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You've got mine, and it is GOOD!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
You've got mine too.

Yet another word I've never heard before--only words that sort of look and sound like it! ;-)

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Okay, I've got seven so far, and they are sooo good! I just need a few more...

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Only 8.... All the usual suspects...
Kalleh, tell Shu to submit one and then with the real one we'll have 10.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Will do...though, he sometimes doesn't mind me! (Giving up those emoticons has been hard; a wink is necessary there!)

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrossL: Kalleh, tell Shu to submit
Eek

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Did he or didn't he? TrossL, you can make up the 9th and say it's Shu's. An old Faux Shu!

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Okay kiddies, here are the nominees for the meaing of fucha.
Pick the number of the one that you think is the correct meaning. The daffynition writer who gets the most votes for their daffynition is the winner.

You don't have to have submitted one to play the game. Come on in and guess!

1. A nonmigratory earless seal common to the Philippine, South China, and East China Seas.

2. A fine vicuña wool, produced in the northernmost regions of Chile.

3. FUCHA - military acronym - "Fouled Up; Coming Home Anyway". Compare SNAFU.

4. An Aboriginal Australian rite of passage wherein boys are subincised.

5. A woman who from behind looks like she is pretty, but appears ugly from the front. From the Japanese word fucha, "disappointment".

6. "fucha" is the species name of the virus that causes people to remember what will happen next year. Full Latin name: Baktuda fucha.

7. An ant-like insect of South America, now thought to be extinct.

8. Alternate spelling for a popular flowering plant, usually displayed in a hanging pot, with profuse flowers of a characteristic color (fuchsia) similar to magenta; named for German botanist Leonhart Fuchs (1501-1566)

9. An oriental furnishing consisting of a long low seat with ornately carved shelves beneath it.

10. A type of tree house found in some remote Polynesian villages, often built in a banyan tree.

11. Using company time and resources for your own ends.

12. A form of crewel embroidery; characterized by fanciful plant and animal shapes worked in a variety of stitches with two-ply wool yarn on linen; A popular motif in fucha embroidery is the Tree of Life.

posted Hide Post
Twelve beauties!

I'll take one.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
This is crewel and unusual. I'll take number TWELVE.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I'll try #2.

Wordmatic

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I have no idea, but I'll pick No. 9. please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Much as I'd love it to be 6 I'll go for 10 please.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, these are nice! I truly love 5 & 6 (do we give awards for exceptional imagination?), though I should probably go with something more mundane. But no! I am going for #3.

Great going, Wordcrafters!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
A nonmigratory subincised seal that used to eat ant-like insects in treehouses?

Since arnie says it's #9, and he's rarely wrong, it probably is. Nevertheless, I'll try #1.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hurry up people, and post your answers...I can't wait to say something!

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Me too...
And I don't even get to guess...

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
. . . interesting that 2 of them are "oriental".

I'll choose #2, just because I want to make socks . . . or maybe a hat.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
9 or 12 ...

I'll take #9. Final answer.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
OKay, only bethree is left. Should I do the winner/answer without her guess?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Why don't you give her another day? Still...I can't wait to talk about this word. I had the weirdest experience in trying to find the definition (after I guessed, of course!).

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Well okay, we can wait for bethree no longer. People are chomping at the bit on this one, so here we go...

1. A nonmigratory earless seal common to the Philippine, South China, and East China Seas. ((bethree5)Haberdasher & Asa guessed this one.

2. A fine vicuña wool, produced in the northernmost regions of Chile (shufitz)Wordmatic & Caterwauller guessed this one.

3. FUCHA - military acronym - "Fouled Up; Coming Home Anyway". Compare SNAFU. (haberdasher’s red herring)Kalleh guessed this one.

4. An Aboriginal Australian rite of passage wherein boys are subincised. (Asa Lovejoy)

5. A woman who from behind looks like she is pretty, but appears ugly from the front. From the Japanese word fucha, "disappointment". (arnie)This is the one I would have guessed had I been able to guess.

6. "fucha" is the species name of the virus that causes people to remember what will happen next year. Full Latin name: Baktuda fucha. (jerry thomas)no one guessed this but Bob & Kalleh (and Michael J. Fox) really liked this one!

7. An ant-like insect of South America, now thought to be extinct. (Caterwauller)

8. Alternate spelling for a popular flowering plant, usually displayed in a hanging pot, with profuse flowers of a characteristic color (fuchsia) similar to magenta; named for German botanist Leonhart Fuchs (1501-1566) (haberdasher)

9. An oriental furnishing consisting of a long low seat with ornately carved shelves beneath it. (BobHale)Arnie & Shufitz guessed this one.

10. A type of tree house found in some remote Polynesian villages, often built in a banyan tree. (Wordmatic)Bob guessed this one.

11. Using company time and resources for your own ends. (The real McCoy) NO GUESSES!!! Eek

12. A form of crewel embroidery; characterized by fanciful plant and animal shapes worked in a variety of stitches with two-ply wool yarn on linen; A popular motif in fucha embroidery is the Tree of Life. (Kalleh)Jerry guessed this one.

So I guess it's a 3-way tie for best stumper. Our winners are bethree5, shufitz and Bob Hale. Congrats to you three!

Now, where in the world did this word come from? Good question.
I found the word fucha in the book, "They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases" by Howard Rheingold. Fucha is a Polish word meaning The act of using company time and resources (machines, supplies, services) to complete a job for yourself or someone else.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TrossL,

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Yeah, THEY have a word for it - but it's not used in English! You got sneaky with us! Fun anyway! Smile

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, my story was that I looked it up in 5 different places and found 5 different definitions (not the accurate one). Strange!

one, two (movie title), the only Onelook entry, a Japanese dish, and a DJ. Interesting. This fucha is apparently a Portuguese word. Did your source say it was a Polish word? I wonder which it is.

Of all the definitions posted, I had thought this one to be the most useful. I don't think we have an English word for that, do we?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

posted Hide Post
this looked like a really interesting candidate for a worthless word; but it hasn't made any inroad into English that I can see.

as to the def'ns Kalleh found, 1) the UD entry gets 1 up and 7 down, so that's right out; 2) this movie is at least Polish; 3) the Wiki entry is a proper noun (in Spanish?); 4) this Japanese dish is consistent with the Japanese bluff; and 5) who knows where the DJs got their name, fusion music?

posted Hide Post
Another "source" that cites the word is The Meaning of Tingo; their authority has been questioned.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Now that was a fun round! I thought all the daffs were great, and personally don't care if the trick word is Polish. Thanks, TrossL.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
我不关心,或者。

(I don't care either.)

I fully agree .... it was a FUN round.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Eek Sorry I spazzed out at voting time! This was the best one ever! This game caught me at the intersection of an unforeseen long week-end drive/trip and the beginning of teaching classes-- for the past few days, I've literally been dozing off as I perused the site at bedtime! Thanks for a fun game, TrossL. I don't know which I would have voted for... certainly not No. 11!!!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, indeed! A fun game TrossL!

I don't think I can take much real credit for for my daffynition. I have a vague idea that a word for this does exist in some language, somwhere, although I've no idea how I came by this notion, what the word is, or in what language. Does it ring any bells with anyone else?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
The word fucha is indeed Polish. According to the book is is pronounced FOO-hah. There was a page and a half description of the various times this word would apply but I didn't want to do that much typing.

Basically in a communist state all that you grow on your land is supposed to go to the people and if you keep some for yourself that would be fucha. Or say if you worked in an engraving shop and you engraved stuff of your own; that would be fucha. Even though you weren't stealing anything that belonged to the company, you were still using the company's machines for your own ends.

The reason that I chose this word is that it was one of the only ones in the book, that when I googled it, I did NOT get any hits that were correct. I thought that would make this a more creative and challenging game.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason that I chose this word is that it was one of the only ones in the book, that when I googled it, I did NOT get any hits that were correct. I thought that would make this a more creative and challenging game.

and this method confounds.. well, not to put too fine a point on it, cheating.

the problem comes in finding words that aren't successfully googleable!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Kalleh's link to the IMDB entry for the Polish film Fucha lacks, alas, any indication of the plot. However, it looks like it is set in a gravestone carving plant(!) to judge from the cast list. Were the characters carving their own headstones in company time? Eek

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
Were the characters carving their own headstones in company time? Eek

Maybe... or if not their own, if they were making them for family, or just for anyone, and then the workers pocketed the money that was paid for the headstones.

Of course, if the head of the company found out about this, maybe they would have to carve their own headstone and dig their own grave...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, for the record, the only time I Googled was after I had guessed. In fact, if you were to look at my score in getting these words right, you'd see that, by no means, do I cheat.

I think it's intriguing, TrossL, that 2 sources call it a Portuguese word. I wonder where the confusion developed.

I agree that this was a great game, and it was a fine word...one we need in English!

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
OMG! I just did a google search for fucha polish (no quotes) and the first four ghits were for this meaning! Try it out.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Here's another interesting item to click

It's about tingo, etc.