Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Imaginary words...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Imaginary words... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Last Sunday Shu posted an Opus comic in Wordplay. He thought it might be a good game for us, but perhaps it's too hard as a game. You really have to be on the same wavelength to guess what made-up word somebody had in mind.

However, we could come up with our own definitions and punny imaginary words to define them with. For example, in today's Opus there were 3:

٭ Giving up all hope for a flat stomach - abdicate
٭ Destroying the American language with these made up words - little bon bon mots
٭ Vehicle for carrying squished folks to the hospital (my personal favorite!) - flatulance

Okay. Your turn!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Many of these things have been on an emailthat makes the rounds periodically, claiming to be the results of a weekly daffynitions contest in the Washington Post.

One of my favorites from this list:
Rectitude (n.), the formal, dignified demeanor assumed by a proctologist immediately before he examines you.

Here's another fun word-game attributed to the same source. I like it even better. My favorite from that list:

Glibido: (gli bë' dõ) All talk and no action.

Either or both would be fun additions to word games, I think. We would just need to think of a way to link the next entry to the last. Perhaps it would be required to start with the, say, third letter of the previous entry? Even easier, put them under Wordplay, and people will just post an entry when they think of one, as we do with Tom Swifties. (Or used to... hey, whatever happened to Tom Swifties?)

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I love the Tom Swifties, too!

I agree that we should just post them when we think of them. I can move this to Wordplay, I suppose. (Or...perhaps I should say arnie can move this. Arnie, would you mind moving this to Wordplay because I don't know how to move threads. Thanks!)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Done.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's an excellent list of Tom Swifties on Wordie

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post