Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing game: Nimmer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing game: Nimmer Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Okay, I will take a turn since no one else has. The word this week is Nimmer. Please send me definitions by Friday. You can either PM me or send me an e-mail at nspecto@aol.com.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
As of tonight I have 2 definitions (quite good, I must say!), from arnie and Jo.

Don't forget to send your definitions! For newbies, we'd love to have you join the game. Just send a made-up definition ("daffynition") for the word "nimmer." Then, on Friday I will post all the daffynitions, along with the real one. The winners either choose the right definition or someone chooses their daffynition.

Just beware of our big winner...arnie! Roll Eyes

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
'Tis Wednesday, folks, and I have daffynitions from Asa, Jerry, Bob, Jo, Cat and arnie.

Come on! We need more. I have to fool arnie this time! Razz

posted Hide Post
Kalleh,
Private posting didn't work.. I'm emailing you my correct definition..Smile

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here are the definitions:

1. A thief or a pilferer.

2. A person who lives in and glorifies the past. The present has no pull for a nimmer, and the future is a wasteland.

3. Psychotic mumbling that occurs during the dissociative state.

4. The humming that emanates from electronic equipment.

5. The portion of sprue in a sand casting that is deliberately built into the mold to ensure no air bubbles.

6. (n) A tool used by loggers for controlling masses of floating logs. Similar to a pulaski, but longer.

7. A term from greyhound racing. A dog that is thought to have little or no chance of winning.

8. (n) A disagreeable or unmannerly person.

9. In equestrian cross-country, a particularly tricky jump designed to encourage the horse to refuse.

10. [Of a sheep] lame. Mostly used to describe sheep suffering from footrot, caused by two bacteria —Fusobacterium necrophorum and Bacteroides nodosus.

Please post your answers by Monday. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
I'll vote for 6... but I like 7 also... OK, six...

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
That has to be the most diverse selection yet!

I'll try 10.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
.... always protecting -- and voting for --- Number ONE.

~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Being a disagreeable person myself, I'm pretty sure I've heard all the terms for it, so I don't think it's #8. I'll just go to the dogs and take a guess at #7.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
So many interesting choices!

I'm choosing #3 simply because it makes me laugh!

Ok, maybe also because I'm guilty of it . . .

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll take ("nim") Number One also. Comes from the Pennsylvania Deutsch, of course.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll guess 2.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
1 for me, please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Erm... I'll go for 7.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. 1 for me...

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will the missing contestant Sign In, Please? !

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, now for the answers (and I really do hate arnie! Razz...kidding of course!)

1. A thief or a pilferer. Correct answer guessed by arnie, Hab, Jerry, and Jo

2. A person who lives in and glorifies the past. The present has no pull for a nimmer, and the future is a wasteland. Sent by KHC; guessed by Tinman.

3. Psychotic mumbling that occurs during the dissociative state. Sent by Kalleh; guessed by CW.

4. The humming that emanates from electronic equipment. Sent by CW; guessed by no one.

5. The portion of sprue in a sand casting that is deliberately built into the mold to ensure no air bubbles. Sent by Asa; guessed by no one.

6. (n) A tool used by loggers for controlling masses of floating logs. Similar to a pulaski, but longer. Sent by Jerry; guessed by KHC.

7. A term from greyhound racing. A dog that is thought to have little or no chance of winning. Sent by Bob; guessed by Cat and Asa.

8. (n) A disagreeable or unmannerly person. Sent by Jo; guessed by no one.

9. In equestrian cross-country, a particularly tricky jump designed to encourage the horse to refuse. Sent by Cat; guessed by no one.

10. [Of a sheep] lame. Mostly used to describe sheep suffering from footrot, caused by two bacteria —Fusobacterium necrophorum and Bacteroides nodosus. Sent by arnie; guessed by Bob.

Well, this was a total disaster. First, it must be a fairly common word with four of you guessing it. I always use Shu as my word compass, but he failed me this time. Wink Secondly, I forgot poor Hab's definition! So sorry, Hab. It was: "Pennsylvania Dutch word meaning 'never' or 'no more.'" I bet some of you would have chosen it too! Futher, he is so sweet that he didn't even let me know. I realized it after it was too late. (Though, he did give me a subtle hint when he made his guess.)

Hab, I owe you one! Red Face So sorry.

Who would like to be next?

posted Hide Post
Kalleh, it was a great game! And,yes, Hab is a gentleman!
Since I'm handicapped, I vote for Jerry to try it again.. he has lots of time on his hands..Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I'm so happy that at least I fooled The Tinman..Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KHC:
I'm so happy that at least I fooled The Tinman..Smile

I'm easily fooled. I was thinking of Miniver Cheevy.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't it funny that three of us (Bob, arnie and me) sent in somewhat similar daffynitions in that they referred to some form of 'handicap' to an animal? Does a similar-sounding word exist that could have unconciously influenced us? (well, me - the other two probably already know it!)

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's also interesting that the three of us come from the UK...

I thought it sounded somewhat like a farmer's term for an animal disease, hence my daffynition.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So...is 'nimmer' fairly common?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I thought it sounded like some working class piece of slang. I could just hear in my mind some cloth-capped old man saying "'e don' wan ter bet un tha'run, e's right nimmer."

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
J..E..R..R..Y! You have been nominated as doing the next word. How's about it? Pretty please? Con azucar?

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Although I have been (correctly) labelled as the Guy With Time On His Hands, times do occur, from time to time, when I really have too little time to do that job with the diligence it deserves.

Two weeks from today my neighbor and I will depart for Hong Kong, as guests of our Chinese Friend. From there we will tour various places in Mainland China. We have our reservations for the trip to Hong Kong, and our Return Date is still OPEN.

For the time being, in response to the much-appreciated nomination, I must quote the man who said, "If elected I will not serve."

So, thanks, anyway.

~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll volunteer.

The next word is ASTEISM

I've started a new thread.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, arnie. Now, I must get it right!

We have our reservations for the trip to Hong Kong, and our Return Date is still OPEN.

Gosh, Jerry, we will miss you! Frown