Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    CJ would appreciate this one
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CJ would appreciate this one Login/Join

posted
Can you think of an eight-letter word with three Us in it and no other vowel? It's not unusual, nor is it uncommon, although it is uncommon. [Punctuate to taste]

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
Can you think of an eight-letter word with three Us in it and no other vowel? It's not unusual, nor is it uncommon, although it is uncommon. [Punctuate to taste]

Well, there's usufruct, from Roman law: the right to enjoy the use or advantage of another's property short of the waste or destruction of its substance (Oxford American Dictionary).

But I gotta confess: it's been months since I've used that word in casual conversation. Big Grin

Ranito

Posts: 141 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica (expat)Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's also unctuous. I haven't used that one often, either.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usufruct is what I had in mind. "Unctuous" is disqualified by its o.

Unless you're a lawyer, unctuous is probably more common, often invoked in conjunction with Uriah Heep. (Isn't there a site somewhere that lists English words in order of their frequency-of-use? Granted, ordered by someone's arbitrary-though-well-meaning algorithm...)

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post