Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: York
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: York Login/Join

Picture of Mike
posted
Well this should be an easy one. A fairly limited set of rhyming words, but surely many comic possibilities.

I have just spent a couple of weeks in Japan, and would have liked to have taken a place name from there to use. The problem is that all syllables take equal stress in Japanese, which make rhyming them a bit of a problem. Instead I have plumped for a nice easy one. York is an old Roman city I believe. Very picturesque, and well worth a visit. I spent many an hour there as a student, waiting for train connections. Smile

Posts: 71 | Location: OsloReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's also a town and a county in northern South Carolina - my home town. I dare not blaspheme and make a rhyme about it! Wink

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
It'ss also a town in Pennyslvania with a lot of Amish living there. So far, none have joined this site. I wonder why.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
It'ss also a town in Pennyslvania with a lot of Amish living there. So far, none have joined this site. I wonder why.

It's because of the Amish computer virus. You have to delete your abacus. Lots of Amish around here too. Lots of horse manure as a result. Free fertilizer!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
It's because of the Amish computer virus. You have to delete your abacus.

Hopefully this isn't the virus that replaces the abacus with the abba-cuss. I believe blasphemy's a big no-no.

posted Hide Post
Just think - when a monster computer named Hal finally DOES take over the developed world, the Amish will carry on civilization.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It does seem as though there are a lot of Yorks, and not to mention "New Yorks." Wink

I suspect the U.S. East coast people, Australians, British, and New Zealanders will all pronounce "York" differently from those of us in the rest of the U.S. and Canada (though I am curious about Canada). It will be interesting to see!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Abacus is what you do after hearing Mama Mia for the umpteenth time.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or when you fail your American Bar Association exam.

Picture of Mike
posted Hide Post
I thought that this would be a relatively easy rhyme, but so far I only have three limericks, whereof only one is recognizably about York, England (not that that's a deal-breaker by any means).

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I put one in, working on another

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't much like mine so I may do another as well.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Hold fire for a couple more days. I'm back at my own computer tomorrow and can submit more easily.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You're back, Bob. We've missed you!

Did you have fun?

Picture of Mike
posted Hide Post
OK, Bob, I'll wait a couple of days. I only have 6 limericks so far, and am lacking limericks from yourself and a couple of the other usual suspects.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Wasn't quite back Kalleh, but I am now. It's a bit late and I only just got in but I'll have a limerick in sometime tomorrow.

And yes.
Lots of fun. I even found a bar with a selection of got bottled beers. No British ones but some fine US and European beers.

Picture of Mike
posted Hide Post
Well I have a reasonable collection now, so I'll post the poll tomorrow. If you haven't yet sent in a limerick, you have a few hours left, so get cracking Smile

posted Hide Post
You now have my feeble attempt. The only thing I could think of that rhymes with "York" is "Geek." Confused Or is it, "Dork?"

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Of course it's Dork, and baulk, cork, fork, gawk, hawk, Mork (& Mindy), nork, squawk, stalk (or stork), talk and walk. I'm suspecting there's a little joke there Geoff that I'm not getting?

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm suspecting there's a little joke there Geoff that I'm not getting?

Just an allusion to the "Geek" thread. A very feeble attempt at humour.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Actually Greg while I personally agree with you, I'm not at all sure most of those would rhyme for an American. Idon't think the vowel in "talk" for example is the same as the vowel in "York" for most US accents.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And it made me chuckle Geoff.

Picture of Mike
posted Hide Post
A rash of late entries has boosted the poll size considerably. You'll need to set aside a good portion of your day to read through them all before casting your votes. Smile