Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    OOLLY deciphered
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OOLLY deciphered Login/Join

posted
The Envelope, please (drummroll):

1. A traditional Scottish handkerchief.
- Geoff
- picked by Bob

2. Slang for money
- written by Kalleh; no takers

3. The viscous coating of the mesentery, particularly at the gastric fundus.
- written by Geoff
- chosen by Bob Hale

4. A derogatory term for extremely curly hair.
- written by Sattva; fooled no one

5. The sound the creature Chewbacca in the Star Wars saga makes when he is upset or calling out a warning.
- written by Sattva
- chops for creativity from Kalleh

6. A lump or loop of iron, as wootz, when taken as a pasty mass from the crucible. India.
- cited in Webster’s New International Dictionary of the English Language, Second Edition, 1943; p. 1704)(aka NI2)
- spotted by Geoff immediately
- cited for creativity by Sattva applying inductive reasoning. Makes sense, but not so. (Truth is stranger than fiction!)

7. Excellent, very good.
- written by arnie; nobody bit

8. A type of dam named for its designer, John Oolly.
- written by Sattva
- selected by Kalleh, if rather tentatively
- creativity: Hab

9. An exclamation when one is surprised, similar to "Oh, my gosh!"
- written by Kalleh; no takers here, either

A factoid for afterthought: No one picked up on the oô-, meaning "egg". Oolly comes out of the fire in little globules that must have suggested eggs to its early discoverers. It can also be found in nature as granules in meteorites of that shape, called (naturally!) oölites.

So there it is, folks. I learned the word from a college roommate who liked to be obfuscatory whenever he could get away with it, and delighted in running around the room proclaiming loudly, OOLLY IS WOOTZ! OOLLY IS WOOTZ! " And no one could contradict him, even after he told us what he was talking about.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, kalleh and Hab for your votes for two of my daffynitions! it was the first time I did any good at any of the games here. That's saying a lot with such bright people on this forum!

posted Hide Post
I remembered oölites from a very long ago geology class, but, as you said, Hab, didn't connect them to ooly

Great word! And good going, Sattva!

Who's going to follow in Haberdasher's footprints and find another REALLY obscure word? Maybe something from Beowulf? Roll Eyes

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(You don't really need a good word, just a good roommate!)

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
or a smart friend, hab! Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Sattva! I've got to work on my daffynitions.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post