Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing game: Ghrelin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing game: Ghrelin Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'll not fool arnie, but maybe I can fool a few of you with ghrelin.

Sand daffynitions via PM, please!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Asa. Mine's on the way...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll not fool arnie

Don't be so sure. I have no idea what this word means so if I get it right it will be pure luck. I'll send you my daffynition in a few minutes.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, we all trust you to get it right. You'll remember some ancient Latin rule, or something. Roll Eyes

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
That would only work on a word from ancient Latin. Wink It doesn't look like a Latin word to me. However, we'll have to wait for the daffynitions!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
May I please have a few more daffynitions of this word? Pretty pleeeeeeze? Smile

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Oh, good--I didn't miss the vote. I was out of town at a conference for most of the week and just realized I needed to visit Wordcraft.

You have mine, Asa, and so long ago I don't even remember what I wrote! hmmmmm. A bad sign.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'm hoping to get a couple more before I post the daffynitions. How about some of you new folks? Or more old folks? Anybody else? Pleeeeeeease?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It appears that this game is dead, or at least moribund. I'll post such daffynitions as I have, plus a few of my own creation, and hope that someone else will have better success than I've had.

1. Ghrelin: In Malaysian mythology, a spirit guardian, especially of those who hunt and fish

2. Ghrelin: Celtic animal spirit

3. Ghrelin: Process that improves on the Hunter method of titanium extraction from titanium tetrachloride. Eponymous, after Alexei I. Ghrelin

4. Ghrelin: The opening in the mouth of a gargoyle used as a water drain pipe

5. Ghrelin: Hormone that stimulates appetite

6. Ghrelin: Teutonic legendary heroines

7. Ghrelin: An invasive weed in parts of North America that proliferates in human-distributed areas such as agricultural fields, lawns, roadsides, and construction sites

8. Ghrelin: Late Neolithic burial mound in Ireland

9. Ghrelin: Abnormal constituent of heparin in obese persons

That's all, folks. Pick the real ghrelin from the imposters.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
These Bluffing Games seem to ebb and flow, Asa. It's a natural phenomenon, perhaps worthy of a doctoral dissertation! Wink At any rate, we've all been there.

I will choose number 8.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... Confused

I had a theory (before the list was published) that it might be a hormone, by analogy with heparin, etc. However, both 5. and 9. seem to cover close to the same ground. I'm therefore bereft of ideas. Jumping on one at random, then, I'll try 4.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I have no idea if there is a word for definition 4 but there certainly ought to be so that's the one I'll pick.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I like that Celtic animal spirit, so I'll take #2, but I'm tempted to take #1. still, I'll stick with 2.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
four

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
results are trickling in, and I should really wait a bit longer, but I just can't help myself..
but I will try to mask this: in ref to #4, a gargoyle generally *is* a spout that terminates in a grotesquely carved figure

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Tsuwm, these days grotesque spouting figures are called politicians. Big Grin I wish you had submitted a daffynition!

I'll post the results on the morrow.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Here are the results of this round:
quote:

1. Ghrelin: In Malaysian mythology, a spirit guardian, especially of those who hunt and fish

Wordmatic tried to waylay us with Malay.
quote:

2. Ghrelin: Celtic animal spirit

Bob Hale's spirit seduced Wordmatic. Cool[/quote]

quote:

3. Ghrelin: Process that improves on the Hunter method of titanium extraction from titanium tetrachloride. Eponymous, after Alexei I. Ghrelin

I fooled nobody with this metallurgic malarkey.[/quote]
quote:

4. Ghrelin: The opening in the mouth of a gargoyle used as a water drain pipe

Another one I tossed in, and fooled even arnie! Also Bob and Jerry.[/quote]
quote:

5. Ghrelin: Hormone that stimulates appetite
The real thing! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghrelin
quote:

6. Ghrelin: Teutonic legendary heroines
Jerry's dream girls. Big Grin
quote:

7. Ghrelin: An invasive weed in parts of North America that proliferates in human-distributed areas such as agricultural fields, lawns, roadsides, and construction sites
Kalleh's version of kudzu, I recon!

quote:

8. Ghrelin: Late Neolithic burial mound in Ireland
This is my favorite daffynition, compliments of arnie. Kalleh liked it too! Big Grin
quote:

9. Ghrelin: Abnormal constituent of heparin in obese persons

Another that I concocted - and it's not similar to ghrelin, although one can't fault arnie's logic!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've been whining to Asa privately...I should have known that word. I did know it at some point. Why I didn't get it is beyond me! I suspect that my brain is 180 degrees different from arnie's. He can get them when he has the slightest hint. Me? I can have the dictionary open to the word and I won't get it! Mad

Congrats, Asa!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Pyrrhic victory, Kalleh, since so few participated. Sure, fooling arnie IS a big deal, but it's tempered by my knowledge that he DID have a notion about the proper definition, and we had so few participants.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I still think "ghrelin" sounds more like a spirit protector than a hormone.

But then, I am not an endocrinologist, nor do I play one on TV.

As for numbers in the game, March is one of the busiest months of the year for people with kids in school, and even for those of us whose offspring are grown. The "hordes" of summer will be back.

Wordmatic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Agreed, WM. March is always the busiest month of the year for me...hey...that's my excuse for not getting the correct answer even though I knew the word! Cool