Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Word Patterns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Word Patterns Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I have no idea if this will work as a game, but it might be fun to hear some of your odd word patterns anyway.

Last night my husband told me of some fun word patterns (I wish he would post more and talk less!) What is the pattern? Post the pattern, and then post one of your own:

Sequoia

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Fri Dec 5th, 2003 at 11:48.]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Well, not to nitpick, but how can just one word show a pattern? Had you listed Sequoia and facetious, the pattern could have been words containing A, E, I, O & U. On the other hand, had you said Sequoia and sandwich, the pattern would have been that both are eponyms.

How about an easy one?: defenestration (one of my favorite underused words) and first.

And to make the game last longer, instead of identifying the pattern when you recognize it, you could simply follow the pattern and provide another example.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll see your three and raise you one:

understudy

Posts: 6266 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
Sequoia and facetious, the pattern could have been words containing A, E, I, O & U.

Yes, and "sequoia" is the shortest word that has each of those letters once and only once.

What's the longest such word?

posted Hide Post
Before we leave the issue - "facetious" has the added distinction of having not only each of the five vowels once but also having them in alphabetical order. Add -ly and make that all six. Abstemious is another.

Sequoia is shorter, but less well-ordered. Its additional "pattern," if you will, is having four consecutive vowels. "Queue" is another, and I can't come up with more off the top of my head... (Maybe "onomatopoeia," but the œ ligature would tend to disqualify it for taking unfair advantage.)

[This message was edited by haberdasher on Sat Dec 6th, 2003 at 12:43.]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I can see that this game is already over my head. For the life of me, I can't figure out CJ's or Hab's pattern, so I can't post another. Confused

posted Hide Post
I think you've seen them, but don't call them a "pattern." Maybe "quirk" would be a better word for it.

The original one was having all five vowels, in or out of order.

Next was having consecutive letters in alphabetical order: r-s-t in first, d-e-f in defenestrated.

Final proposal was to have a whole bunch of consecutive vowels.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
OK, you've gotten words with three consecutive letters that are consecutive in the alphabet. I'm impressed.

Can you do four?

Oh! I see you did! Any other 4's?

And Wordcrafter's challenge is still pending.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Hab. I will have to analyze these words better!
quote:
Well, not to nitpick, but how can just one word show a pattern?
Good point, CJ, especially since I don't know of another word (though maybe there is one) that has all 5 vowels, but only 7 letters. "Pattern", for that example, was definitely a poor word to use.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hic et ubique:

And Wordcrafter's challenge is still pending.

Plenty of examples (some of them arguable) here.

Why should I let the toad work
Squat on my life ?
Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork
And drive the brute off ?
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thamnophile: Meeting Hic's challenge.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
New pattern:

What do these words have in common? Post your reply with similar words, as CJ suggested:

in, are, golf, sweat, bolster, uncopywritable

posted Hide Post
...in, are, golf, sweat, bolster, uncopywritable...

I don't know if this is what you have in mind, but they do show something also shared by each word in this post!

(PS Is "uncopyrightable" maybe also our "longest word with the six vowels in it, each exactly once"?)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You are right on both accounts [sic]! (At least in my humble opinion [sic]!)

posted Hide Post
I give you a sequence, you find a word that contains it. Uniqueness not assured, by any means.

Proposed house rule: "contained" can mean beginning, middle, or end.

Proposed house rule #2: proper names are permitted.

(elegance points for shortness of word)

__LELE__

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Allele

Smileless

Guileless

Ukelele

Paralleled

[Is this what you mean?]

posted Hide Post
Exactly. I had in mind ukulele but any of the others will also do. "Ukulele" has a distinctive pattern recognizable to cryptogrammers, as does "little."

Now you get to pose the next letter-combination.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
Sequoia is shorter, but less well-ordered. Its additional "pattern," if you will, is having four consecutive vowels. "Queue" is another, and I can't come up with more off the top of my head...

While looking up something else, I stumbled the authority of etyl-online, which says, "The Hawaiian word hooiaioia, meaning 'certified,' has the most consecutive vowels of any word in current human speech; the English record-holder is queueing."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is "uncopywritable" maybe also our "longest word with the six vowels in it, each exactly once?"

Perhaps. What else is true about "uncopywritable"?

posted Hide Post
I'm not going to repeat myself.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not going to repeat myself.

You got it! Now your pattern?

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
A hint: "Aa," a word for a certain type of hardened lava having a rough surface, is the shortest word in the English language NOT to follow this pattern.

posted Hide Post
Wel, I thought it should be YOUR turn because you got the __LELE__ word, but I won't argue.

____KIIN____

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sigh. I have been informed by private topic that I have misspelled "copyrightable" throughout this thread. Thanks for the heads up, but feel free to correct me here. I have admitted in the past* my vice for misspelling words. Arnie said, in that old thread, that if you'd "learnt" Latin, you'd be a better speller. I did learn Latin, but no dice!

kiin

skiing (Now, I'd better check the spelling! Wink

Other ----kiin---- words?

*That was a hard post to find! I used the word "Latin" to search. Without checking wordcrafters Razz, how many times do you think we've used the word "Latin", and how many times do you think Arnie has?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Perhaps there are no more words with the pattern "kiin"? If you can find one (not one containing the word "skiing", such as "turfskiing"), you will get the Wordcraft Prize of the Day! Wink Big Grin

How about words that have more vowels than consonants. Let's especially try to find words with high ratios of vowels to consonants, e.g., EUTOPIA.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's especially try to find words with high ratios of vowels to consonants,

That inner mathematician just insists that I point out that both "a" and "I" have ratios of 1:0, in other words infinity.

How about the word you originally started the thread with, sequoia or miaou with 5:2 and 4:1 respectively ?

Squat on my life ?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale, re words with high ratios of vowels to consonants:

That inner mathematician just insists that I point out that both "a" and "I" have ratios of 1:0, in other words infinity.
Oooo, you're right! Big Grin

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordnerd:
you're right! Big Grin

That was fun.

The other two - one letter words and all consonant words were pretty good too.

Squat on my life ?

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of a very similar party challenge I was part of years ago. My crowd of friends at that time were the sort of people who preferred playing word games over, say, "Strip Twister." You know the type - Language geeks and proud of it!

Someone offered the challenge: How many words can you come up with containing more vowels than consonants which describe something that you can wear? The sample given was TIE.

I jumped out to an early lead with TIARA, which I was rather proud of, while someone else offered HOUSECOAT. I then crushed the competition with the quick tri-fecta MUUMUU, TOUPEE, and HAIRPIECE.

Someone else jumped in with EYE MAKE-UP and then I was docked two points for TATOO which I swear I never knew was spelled with a double-T in the middle. I countered with A TATTOO, which led to the on-the-spot "no articles" ruling and my total being reduced by one more point for arguing. I suspect my penalties were largely due to the substantial lead I was enjoying at that point plus the fact that I was being overly smug about it (a longstanding character flaw, I admit) but I accepted this outrage since the primary judge in this case was an attractive woman with large breasts. (Words aren't my only passion!)

More arguments (You know how parties like this can go) resulted when I offered a BEIGE TUXEDO which I graciously withdrew before more points could be assessed against me and we agreed on a "no colors or other adjectives" ban.

My favorite entry was an AIR OF AUTHORITY which I had to fight long and hard for, finally winning the point on the logic that "something you wear" could certainly mean items other than those you actually put on your body. In another on-the-spot ruling, however, it was decided that I had had enough to drink that night.

The game went on throughout the night and, in the end, it was a mixed success for yours truly. I won the game but the woman with large breasts went home with someone else. Ah, well...

I miss those days. My friends today are fine enough people but no one is all that passionate about the English language as that old crowd was. That's why I'm glad I've got you guys. Cyber-word-obsessed friends are better than no word-obsessed friends at all. (And, under the category of "We Probably Never Say It Often Enough," I'd like to offer a sincere thank you to all Wordcrafters for your excellent company over this past year or so.)

So, how about it? How many things-you-can-wear-more-vowels-than-consonants words can you come up with? I've got a few more but will hold back since I'm posing this one.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
An ear-piece, CJ? An eye-piece. Or in line with your beige suit, a beige shoe.

posted Hide Post
Nothing particularly clever, but Japanese women wear an obi from time to time. Or used to.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, these may be disqualified (though they are better than "air of authority"!), but how about tie dye and suede? Also, Pea Coat, outerwear, Patagonia?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
(And, under the category of "We Probably Never Say It Often Enough," I'd like to offer a sincere thank you to all Wordcrafters for your excellent company over this past year or so.)
CJ, how nice of you! Cool And, I would like to say the same to everyone here. I recently was at dinner where some wonderful, albeit naive, colleagues were going on and on about how the U.S. is the only place to live, we have all the freedoms, we have the best economy, blah, blah, blah. Two years ago I probably would have agreed. However, I argued against that naive attitude, often using data or commments that some of you have made. My horizons have been widened because of the international flavor of this site. Thanks to all of you! Big Grin

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hic et ubique:
An _ear-piece,_ CJ? An _eye-piece._ Or in line with your _beige suit,_ a _beige shoe._

EARPIECE and EYEPIECE both came up and were accepted. EAR HOLE, meaning the piercing in one's ear lobe through which earrings are inserted, was, much to my consternation, also accepted though I'm sure this was due to the person coming up with this flawed gem being in roughly 11th place at the time, contest-wise. Plus maybe she had large breasts; I really don't recall. Had I suggested it, however, there would have been no end to the howling.

But BEIGE SHOE? Judges say "Honk!" No good!! A clear violation of the "No adjectives" rule that would also block things like OLIVE COAT and AZURE FEDORA. Now, I did argue successfully for TOE SHOE since the "toe" in this case is not just an adjective but an intrinsic part of the noun as a whole.

(Don't you just love parties like this?)

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Well, these may be disqualified (though they are better than "air of authority"!), but how about _tie dye_ and _suede_? Also, _Pea Coat_, _outerwear_, _Patagonia_?

1. Yes, they are disqualified.
2. No, they're not better than AIR OF AUTHORITY. I can't tell you how proud I was to have come up with that one. And what a fight!

3. TIE DYE, judges say "Honk!" No good. "Tie Dye" is an adjective as in "Tie dye fashions" or a "Tie-dyed shirt."
4. SUEDE, however, while also disqualified as an adjective (as in "suede shoes") is given a reprive by our panel of judges (me) since the word can be used as in "He was wearing suede." I tried to argue with myself on your behalf that it could also be said that "He was wearing tie dye" but, no, sorry. As arguments go, I wasn't suede.

5. PEA COAT came up at the party and was accepted (see note ref "toe" above)
6. OUTERWEAR didn't come up but is a winner.
7. PATAGONIA also didn't come up but ("Honk!") once again the judges say that, seeing as how "Patagonia" is defined as the region in southern South America between the Andes and the South Atlantic, we're sorry but technically it's not exactly something one can wear. (Can I assume there is another definition you have in mind?)

Good one, H., on OBI but where is everyone else on this one? So far all responses have come from the states* suggesting that our European bretheren are slipping, maybe, linguistically speaking. I've got 6 or 8 more entries to go (not all my originals - like "obi," some were terms I hadn't heard before) that I'll list, oh, let's say next week.

*Hic's biography is blank, location-wise, but I'm guessing east or west coast U.S.)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The only questionable one is "tie dye." The rest are perfect. One does wear suede, whether it be suede pants or a suede vest, or whatever. I don't think you really wear "tie dye", though; you are right. However, if one wears an "air of authority", one surely wears "tie dye!" Mad

These aren't as easy as I had thought they'd be, though. I was a little jealous of "housecoat"; that was a good one.

Bootie [Middle-aged men might not get this one, thus the link.] I think I should receive the Emmy for this one! Wink

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only questionable one is "tie dye." The rest are perfect. Sorry. Judges say "Honk!" One does _wear_ suede, whether it be suede pants or a suede vest, or whatever. I don't think you really wear "tie dye", though; you are right. However, if one wears an "air of authority", one surely wears "tie dye!" Mad

These aren't as easy as I had thought they'd be, though. Heh, heh! Heh, heh, heh! I was a little jealous of "housecoat"; that was a good one.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bootie [Middle-aged men might not get this one, thus the link.] Judges say "Buzzz!" (meaning "OK"). We also had this one, twice yet, as "booty" and "baby booty." The sexual meaning of "booty" spelled that way (vs. "bootie") had not hit the scene at that time. I think I should receive the Emmy for this one! The Emmy??Wink

One more day to get your entries in before a well-earned holiday break. I've got 6 or 7 more to add although, to go along with what Kalleh said above, some might not be as well known by men as by women.

And K., since you object so to an "air of authority" as something you can wear, I won't irk you further with your coat on inside-out which, since many of them are reversable, is certainly also something you can wear.

(Oh, yeah. That was one loud and raucous party...)

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I had written these down somewhere long ago but, natch, I couldn't find the list when I needed it. The ones I can remember:

Beanie - a type of child's hat, sometimes topped with a propeller (non-functional).

Chapeau - another word for hat, propeller optional.

Regalia - as in "military regalia," ribbons, badges, and such. Not a great answer (and, obviously, not one of mine; all my answers were great) (especially "air of authority"!) but they bought it.

A-Line - a type of women's dress. I objected under the No Adjectives Rule but was informed that "She was wearing an A-Line" was heard all the time. Not by me, maybe, but apparently by everyone else in the room. The women, anyway.

Onesies - a combination undershirt/pants for babies that snap at the bottom (the onesies, I mean, not the babies) to allow easy access to the diaper. Another new term for me then but now that I'm occasionally buying clothes for my grandsons (and, yes, changing diapers. Woo-Hoo!) I can vouch for this odd word.

Footies - I think most people call these "slipper socks," those things that are sort of a cross between a sock and a slipper.

Beau - meaning boyfriend and, yes, another "spirited" (meaning spirits were involved) argument. A woman claimed that her boyfriend was wrapped around her little finger and therefore qualified as apparel. She was given the point when said boyfriend agreed to this assessment. (What a wuss!)

Oolong tea - if given to a child who has not yet adequately mastered the ability to drink from a cup. While not one of mine, the judges definitely said "Honk!" anyway.

Black eye - When it was pointed out that the vowels here were in a distinct minority, the guy offering it said "If someone comments 'Wow, that's a beauty!' they aren't." This was the result of him mentally straining over "beauty mark," "beauty spot" etc for half an hour and coming up short. I'd like to think we gave him a point for originality but I really don't recall.

It seems to me that there were at least six or eight more. I'll find that list eventually.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Just recalled another one:

Bolo tie - those string ties that Texans often wear.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have so many "balderdashes" for CJ that it's not funny! Razz Razz Roll Eyes

I agree with beanie, chapeau (though is it an English word?), footies (a good one! And, there is no reason for the "s" because it is spelled "footie").

I am still looking.....

However, in the meantime, I still award myself the Wordcraft Emmy for "bootie."

BTW, I haven't heard of "onesies," so I am assuming it is either regional (Honk!) or a family name for it (Honk! Honk!). Occasionally Wink, I have been wrong, though.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have so many "balderdashes" for CJ that it's not funny! Razz Razz Roll Eyes
As noted above, I also objected to numerous entries. A large part of the fun of this sort of game is in the arguing!

I _agree_ with _beanie_, _chapeau_ (though is it an English word?),
Yes, taken directly from the French.

_footies_ (a good one! And, there is no reason for the "s" because it is spelled "footie").
But what good is one footie? Hence the "S."

I am still looking.....
As are, I assume, our trans-Atlantic friends. A bit dissappointed with the turnout for this one...

However, in the meantime, I still award myself the Wordcraft Emmy for "bootie."
You still haven't explained why an "Emmy" (or, for that matter, how the heck one wears a "Patagonia") and, furthermore, if "bootie" deserves an Emmy, so does "footie" and an "air of authority" rates a Golden Globe at the very least!!

BTW, I haven't heard of "onesies," so I am assuming it is either regional (Honk!) or a family name for it (Honk! Honk!).
Hold your honker, K.! No less an authority than Gerber Foods (which has branched out into baby apparel) uses this word. I just bought a pack for my 10-month-old (crawling but not yet walking) grandson for Christmas. I'm going to have "Don't laugh - I'm helping Mommy!" put on to the back of one, add fluffy pants and a bandana to the outfit, and then spray the kid down with End-Dust. The more the kid gets around, the cleaner my daughter's home will be!

Occasionally Wink, I have been wrong, though.
How about "A-Line" then? Would you have honked that?

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Kallah: footies (there is no reason for the "s" because it is spelled "footie").
CJ: But what good is one footie? Hence the "S."

Do I need to change my name to shuzfit?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
One can wear an "A-Line" IF one can wear suede Razz.

Oh, drat! You win with "onesies." I found them on a Google site. I do need a grandchild so that I can stay in the baby clothes loop!

quote:
But what good is one footie? Hence the "S."
I am shopping for shoes. When I try on shoes, I ask for "footies." However, one of them has a big hole in it. So, I say, "May I please have another footie?" "Footie" surely can be one word; however, your official word was "footies", while mine was "bootie." Sorry!

Hoisery

posted Hide Post
...can you think of a word (without resorting to *onelook.com*) that contains the ordered subset of letters _____ROOR_____ ?

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
(not to appear to be starting a power struggle, but...)
no, back to overly-voweled articles of clothing:

Kalleh - 1.) I never argued against suede. Not much, anyway. and 2.) Sorry, the judges say "Honk!" regarding your "hoisery." Turns out that there's no such word. Nice try, though. Thanks for playing and here's a copy of our home game.

Your entry did, however, inspire Hosiery for which I award myself two points - one for the word and one for the steal. (Heh, heh, heh!)

Others which came to mind over the holidays:

Ready-made tie - AKA Fake tie or a "clip-on tie," a must for every well-dressed, if less than dexterous, pre-teen gentleman.

Beau tie - another term for a wedding ring. (Save your honker, K. I'll honk this one myself on the grounds of it being way too cynical.)

OK, back to tricky patterns. ____ROOR____ you say, Hab? Ahh... How about Mr. O. Orboni, my high school shop teacher? And that's on the assumption that his first name was Orville which, frankly, doesn't seem likely. Other than that, no, you've got me on this one.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Oh, and a P.S.:

I really was going to outfit my 10-year-old grandson as I described above but changed my mind at the last minute. My daughter's boyfriend is Hispanic and a nice enough guy but I began to fear that he might take offense at the idea of me using his son as a dust mop.

Under the category of "cultural differences," I was stationed in Panama for 5+ years, working with a wide variety of Hispanic nationalities, and experienced any number of incidents in which the Hispanic male was highly offended at something that didn't bother me in the slightest. And the reverse, of course, as well. So, anyway, even though my blonde blue-eyed daughter thought it was a funny idea, we won't be using little Mikey to help dust until he's old enough to hold a cloth.

Which brings to mind an old Emo Phillips line:

Bully: (menacingly) "I'm gonna mop the floor with your head!!"
Emo: "You do and you'll be sorry!
Bully: "Oh, yeah? WHY?!!"
Emo: "Well... You won't be able to get into the corners..."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Having flight of ideas today, CJ? Razz I think I deserve the hosiery point; you never would have gotten! I will give you footie, if you give me hosiery. Wink

As for Hab's challenge, unfortunately my teachers didn't have such creative names. How about "microorganism?"

posted Hide Post
No need to be cross Wink ; that's why it was there.

When we get to pursuing the thread in this direction, it's your turn to put up the next letter sequence.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
DZTEGTBCRSTH BTS HMBTR!

This is an experiment. It may be way tooooo hard! Hints are available upon request.

[BTW, Honk! Honk! for "ready-made tie", AKA "fake tie", as well as "beau tie." These have to be acceptable terms! Razz]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Read the threads; there is a hint elsewhere. Wink