Wordcraft Community Home Page
Next limerick Game - Geoff?

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/6410032786

June 12, 2017, 11:08
Kalleh
Next limerick Game - Geoff?
Geoff, we're anxiously awaiting our next limerick game word. Please let us know what it is so we can get started.

Since you don't like the poll system, why not post them in a thread when you have collected them all, and we'll choose from there? Variety is the spice of life!

Congratulations on winning - with such a hard word to rhyme!
June 12, 2017, 17:43
Geoff
I sent that limerick to Tinman "for his eyes only." He asked me to allow him to publish it. I said he could, but with the understanding that it was NOT a part of any competition. Therefore, let arnie do one.

I'll continue writing them just for fun, but will no longer mess with a system that baffles me. It's Bob's game, so he can run it as he sees fit - even if it flummoxes dyslexics! Roll Eyes
June 13, 2017, 04:30
Geoff
PS: Tinman DID have my permission to publish mine.
June 13, 2017, 09:30
Kalleh
This is a collaborative site. Nothing here is owned by anyone. Yes, arnie and I are administrators, but that's about it. So - no, this isn't Bob's game.

Let's please forget about the limerick poll discussion. From now on, let's do limericks like we do the Bluffing game. We'll list them by number and people will choose the number. Geoff, if you don't want to start this game, would someone else, who got a vote, please do it? Thanks so much.
June 13, 2017, 18:25
bethree5
How about Qatar? https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Qatar
June 13, 2017, 19:40
Kalleh
Perfect! Would you please be the host, Bethree?
June 14, 2017, 13:01
Geoff
Is that the place they sang about in the sitcom?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzEzDkeHzI
June 14, 2017, 13:32
sattva
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Is that the place they sang about in the sitcom?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzEzDkeHzI

Haven't heard that for awhile. The song made it on the charts, reaching #1 on Billboard in May or '76.
June 15, 2017, 19:58
Kalleh
It has been awhile! Is it pronounced like that? I have never known how to pronounce Qatar.
June 15, 2017, 20:41
BobHale
I've always pronounced it kuh-TAH but I'm not sure that's right.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
June 16, 2017, 00:20
sattva
It has been in the news here recently and they are pronouncing it like ka-tar, or as Bob said kuh. I am not sure if that is correct, but it is how people are pronouncing it in the news.
June 16, 2017, 04:32
Geoff
Bethree5's link has a pronunciation included. It sounds like "Kotter" to me. Maybe my ears are plugged up due to catarrh?
June 16, 2017, 06:06
sattva
You're right Geoff. The link does pronounce it that way. I wonder why newscasters are pronouncing it differently?
June 16, 2017, 06:19
<Proofreader>
I've heard a number of variations but CUT-er seems used most often (Though it may not be the accepted ron). Why cant the foreigners write in English. If it'sw good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me.
June 16, 2017, 12:57
Geoff
Oh, Proof, you silly twit, "Jesus" is Spanish! Big Grin There IS, however, a flower named for the folks you're thinking of: Baptisia australis That's Latin for Southern Baptist.

Hmmm... I wonder if a Shiitake is a Japanese Muslim with a fungal infection?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,
June 17, 2017, 09:42
haberdasher
Hi all...I'm back from the Sunny South, none the worse for the wear.

Am I right to conclude that Qatar our next destination? And B35 is our guide?
June 17, 2017, 12:09
sattva
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:

You were missed! Glad to see you back! How was the trip south?
June 17, 2017, 13:50
haberdasher
Grandson graduated HS without a hitch. Next fall - Duke Smile
June 17, 2017, 14:18
Geoff
quote:

Am I right to conclude that Qatar our next destination? And B35 is our guide?

Yes and yes. Glad to have you back!
June 18, 2017, 06:45
sattva
I found several pronunciations of the word "Qatar". One is the most commonly accepted, but the second one is probably the correct way. The third is probably how an English speaking person would do it as correctly as possible. For me, it would be difficult to pronounce correctly, indeed, and difficult to rhyme.

Qatar

Qatar 2

Qatar 3

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sattva,
June 18, 2017, 13:59
tinman
I've heard several pronunciations, too, and I doubt any of them do justice to the actual Arabic pronunciation of the word. I'll use bethree5's link as the accepted pronunciation for my limerick. It sounds like "Kotter" to me.
June 18, 2017, 15:55
sattva
quote:
Grandson graduated HS without a hitch. Next fall - Duke Smile

Great!
June 20, 2017, 21:17
Kalleh
Well, I don't know where Bethree is, so I'll post it for her. While you were away, Hab, we decided not to use the polls anymore. We will post the limericks like we post the Bluffing Game words, numbering them and the people will select their favorite numbers. One advantage to that way is that we see everyone's selections.
June 20, 2017, 23:57
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
One advantage to that way is that we see everyone's selections.

Not sure that's an advantage. When you can see how others have chosen that might mean that you change your own choice influenced by what has gone before.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
June 21, 2017, 05:43
haberdasher
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Well, I don't know where Bethree is, so I'll post it for her. While you were away, Hab, we decided not to use the polls anymore. We will post the limericks like we post the Bluffing Game words, numbering them and the people will select their favorite numbers. One advantage to that way is that we see everyone's selections.

Okay, but where do candidates get sent? Bethree or Geoff?
June 21, 2017, 14:25
Geoff
Not to me.

PS: Merry solstice!