Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Is this new, or is it a re-run ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this new, or is it a re-run ?? Login/Join

Picture of jerry thomas
posted
Typoglycemia

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruern. Dfetiniley.

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Jerry. We have discussed this from time to time. We had a parent/school rift in our community about this (grades 1 to about 3). Many of the teachers thought it was important to just get kids writing. They thought if kids saw lots of corrections, it would deter them from writing. The parents thought the teachers should require good writing mechanics.

It reminds me a bit of wordcraftjr, and I have to keep holding myself back from being too negative there. We are in a sensitive position. We don't want to scare the kids away, and we want to teach them that language is fun. Yet, we do want them to use good writing skills. I suspect that kids learn by good role models, as well as constructive feedback.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post