Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing game: lirp
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing game: lirp Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Here's a nice short word: lirp.
What does it mean, though? Please PM me with your daffynitions. No looking it up! Cool

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'm in.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Six daffys from three people so far. Keep 'em coming!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've received a couple more but several of the regulars are still missing. Get your thinking caps on and come up with a daffynition (or two, or three ...)!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Eight from four so far but several people are still missing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
No new suggestions have been received in a couple of days. I'll post the ones I have received plus the true definition at the weekend, so there's still time for those (like Kalleh or B3) who haven't yet responded to send in a daffy.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mine's finally in. Sorry about that.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Lirp

Daffynitions for lirp:

1. An esophageal spasm.
2 A flippant comment.
3. An escarpment.
4. The call of a hare-lipped lark.
5. A loaf-shaped knoll.
6. A non-round quantity of measurement that cannot be easily expressed in other terms, e.g. 29ft, 13oz, 7 pints, etc.
7. Disproportionately long and thin in comparison to another
8. Desiccated food; just add hot water and eat (from acronym LRRP: rations used in Vietnam by soldiers on "Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol").
9. A small sip, less than a slirp.
10. A snap of the fingers
11. A guardian of the gates at Valhalla.
12. To place a bit in a reindeer's mouth.

Guess away! Smile

Picture of Stanley
posted Hide Post
Ee, it's a tough one.

For no special reason, I think I'll go for 5.

------------------------
If your rhubarb is forwards, bend it backwards.

Posts: 98 | Location: Reading, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's eight I ate, causing esophageal spasms, thus leading me to the gates of Valhalla at the snap of my fingers where I heard a hare-lipped lark making flippant comments.

I'll guess #8

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll choose the fingersnap for real, but the flippant comment sounds the most enticing.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shoot! I can't wait for arnie to guess on this one. I do like #4 a lot! Smile But somehow I doubt there are a lot of hare-lipped larks around. Still, that and # 9 deserve the most creative awards.

I'll choose #2.

posted Hide Post
I like 4 as well. I'm having trouble picturing a lark with lips....can't quite add the hare-lip on top of that.

I kind of like the "escarpment" but I sure have no idea. I'll go for number 3.

edit...I liked the LRRP...I think you would pronounce that as "lirp" as an acronym. But did they nickname their food "lirp"?

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Any more guesses?

<Proofreader>
posted
I'm pretty certain that, based on my Army experience, number eight is correct. I recall that after eating in the commissary the resulting sound from my stomach was often "lirp!', followed by the meal.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Last chance to vote! I'll publish the results soon.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Results for Lirp

1. An esophageal spasm.
Kalleh - fooled no-one
2 A flippant comment.
Geoff - fooled Kalleh
3. An escarpment.
Geoff - fooled Tom
4. The call of a hare-lipped lark.
Geoff - fooled no-one
5. A loaf-shaped knoll.
My own red herring - fooled Stanley
6. A non-round quantity of measurement that cannot be easily expressed in other terms, e.g. 29ft, 13oz, 7 pints, etc.
Stanley - fooled no-one
7. Disproportionately long and thin in comparison to another
Stanley - fooled no-one
8. Desiccated food; just add hot water and eat (from acronym LRRP: rations used in Vietman by soldiers on "Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol").
Hab - fooled Geoff
9. A small sip, less than a slirp.
Proof - fooled no-one
10. A snap of the fingers
The real thing - see http://home.comcast.net/~wwftd/jkl.htm#lirp - chosen by Hab Smile
11. A guardian of the gates at Valhalla.
Proof - fooled no-one
12. To place a bit in a reindeer's mouth.
Proof - fooled no-one.

posted Hide Post
As soon as Hab chose it a bell rang in my battered old skull and I remembered that he was correct. It was discussed somewhere on some word site a few years ago. So much for memory... Frown Did TSUWM post it here???

Picture of Stanley
posted Hide Post
Well. There that is. I think that might have been one of my very last choices - it doesn't sound like a word for snapping your fingers at all to me! Still, there you are, learned something new Smile

------------------------
If your rhubarb is forwards, bend it backwards.

Posts: 98 | Location: Reading, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
As soon as Hab chose it a bell rang in my battered old skull and I remembered that he was correct. It was discussed somewhere on some word site a few years ago. So much for memory... Frown Did TSUWM post it here???

Not sure whether he posted it here, but it definitely did appear under his byline on another site a good ten years ago.

And LRRP as "Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol" is historically accurate, more commonly transliterated as LURP. My definition was of the "lurp rations" rather than the patrol itself. Tasted rather good, as I recall, compared to the usual mess.

It's hard to accept that that was 45 years ago. The memories seem much more vivid than that would allow.

posted Hide Post
Oh, my.

What was that about the Lessons of History?

It's even been posted here ! [mildly-red-in-the-face e]

<Proofreader>
posted
I actually picked eight, though it was overlooked, because I too remembered LRRP from my jungle days at Fort Dix. And before anyone makes fun of my service there, I would remind everyone that while I was there not one Viet Cong made it past New Jersey. You can thank me later.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh dear! It was my word, Hab, and I still missed it this time! Red Face So embarrassing. I think I'd better stick to the limerick game.

I do like that there is a word for that snapping of the fingers.

posted Hide Post
I'm just happy I remember "hormesis." We had a little go-around about that one too, as I recall.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:

It's hard to accept that that was 45 years ago. The memories seem much more vivid than that would allow.
I think memories are like wine: They improve and alter in certain ways with age, then suddenly they turn to vinegar. Mine, it seems, have gone bad. Now I'm gonna go feed my hare-lipped larks.