Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game Login/Join

Picture of stella
posted
Having been involved in the limerick game for quite a few months, I can say 3 things about it

1. I love writing limericks
2. I hate judging limericks
3. I’m not much good at choosing funny, rhymable destinations

This started off being heaps of fun for me but gradually the fun part (1) has been overtaken by the hassle (2 & 3).

A couple of times I’ve suggested changing the way we select winners but it hasn’t gone down very well - which is fine, I’m only one person here. However, I still would really prefer that either we didn’t have a winner at all and took turns choosing a destination, or otherwise everyone gets a vote so that the judging involves a variety of people with different styles. Either of those two ways I think we’d spread it round a bit more. Anyone agree? Smile

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
There's merit in your suggestion. I don't mind judging or choosing a destination and thus would be happy for the present system to remain - but I would be quite prepared to accept a change in system just so long as it didn't make the game more cumbersome.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I don't care what system is used as long as it's one that makes it hard for Kalleh to win. I love to hear her kvetch. 8-)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love to hear her kvetch. 8-)

I'd not heard that expression previously; is North American Yiddish different from UK Yiddish?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I've only heard it used in the sense of "complain."

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
We could do it by rota.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Isn't a kvetch a Jewish sailing vessel for mothers-in-law?

<Proofreader>
posted
I don't know about sailing but I know Jewish men must like golf since they always mention their putz.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
A lot of them hate their Hispanic caddies. They're always going on about shooting a hole in Juan.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I feel as though I showed up here and ruined it for the regulars. Stella's suggestion makes good sense. I'd like to continue here if you adopt it, otherwise I'll drop out and let you regulars keep at it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, this has nothing at all to do with you, and please don't think that it does. I have posted about my frustration before, both here and on my Blog...and much before you came to the game. Heavens!

I guess I shouldn't have complained about not winning, and I have deleted that post. I have also sent you a PM.

However, I do agree with Stella about taking turns, rather than to have "winners."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Kalleh's right, Asa. The problem was there way before you joined in. It's why I suggested changing the judging ages ago. I don’t think it’s anyone’s fault. It’s just what happens when you set up a "winner" scenario – you end up with “losers” and they’re always the majority.

There’s talk of a Showcase over at The OEDILF and I’m actually pro that, but only because I see it as a collection of “Limericks that Somebody Liked” rather than the “Best” limericks, which is ridiculously subjective.

And Kalleh...!!! What are you thinking?? I love your limericks – you have an original voice and a lovely fresh style. So, your limericks aren’t winning this competition – it doesn’t mean you’re no good at it. Maybe you’re not the ‘best’ at it, whatever that means, but you can write great limericks. I’m a one-trick pony and I’m blown away by the erudition and wit of others here. You made all that possible, Kalleh. I can’t imagine having the vision, the motivation or the dedication to do what you’ve done at Wordcraft. Please don’t be bothered if I beat you at limericks! Pleeeease!! Smile

Another thing you know, this game’s been going almost 2 yrs – maybe it’s just getting a little tired and we should give it a break for a while.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've been convinced by a PM from Kalleh that my arrival was merely coincidental to the trouble here. She also said that neither she nor Proofreader ever wins. I agree with you, often Kalleh's stuff is great fun! The one and only limerick I've seen on this board that made me laugh out loud was one of Proofreaders - and it wasn't in this game!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about this and have come to the conclusion that the OEDILF project does it right. At the beginning of that project and when it was still here, CJ graded limericks and became the Emperor of DDs. While we had fun at that for awhile, soon people got irritated when they received "grades" they thought were unfair, and, indeed, we had a few tiffs. It's human nature. As the project evolved and the workshop developed (over on the OEDILF website), they made the good move of "approving" limericks after advice. While, yes, there still are tiffs from time to time, in the end most get approved. However, when only one can win, it leads to hard feelings.

Further, the OEDILF project is successful because they have pretty clear rules. You will get your limerick approved if you know the rules and define your word. Humor, play on words, and creativity are a plus, but not necessary. Here, from game to game it was hard to know what the judge wanted. You could definitely push the envelope for rhymes and meter for some, but not for others. Some really liked the idea of getting into the venue, while others didn't care that much.

So in the end, this game reminded me how well-designed the OEDILF project is. Indeed, I haven't been there for awhile, but I will now go back and do a little workshopping.

It is fun to write limericks, and clearly this game has been a success. I'd hate to see it end. I am not sure, though, how we'd decide who should provide the venue. Any ideas?

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I had missed this entire discussion until Kalleh tipped me off on it today. I think I'm with those who've said that maybe the game is "tired" or has run its course. If we were to play Monopoly every day for a month, by next month we'd probably want to play chess instead. I don't love writing limericks enough to always want to do them every week, which is probably why I faded from OEDILF and only play this game occasionally. I prefer the games involving a little mystery and guesswork (the Bluffing Game and Entitled).

If the Limerick Game is rigidly structured to go continuously, it doesn't give people a chance to rest between rounds. The other games don't have any imperative about who will start the next round or when. How about we just let people start a Limerick Game when they've thought of someplace interesting or funny sounding enough to be the A-Rhyme. Anybody can start a game any time. The initiator collects submissions via PM and publishes them as a group.

Then we all just enjoy them. Is that too tame just to enjoy each others' works without winners being declared, whether by the originator or a group vote?

Or, if we have to have writing awards, the Instigator could collect votes for "Funniest," "Rudest," "Most Lyrical" and "Miss Congeniality" via PM and then report on the results of the voting in a subsequent post.
Maybe each game initiator could set the categories for voting at the time of selecting the location of the A-rhyme. that way, the votes could be on different criteria each time, which makes it more interesting.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I like WM's suggestion that someone should post a place name when they think of a good one, rather than immediately after the last game.

Perhaps the person "hosting" the game could post a new forum poll with the collected limericks (possibly anonymous) so that the company could vote on the one they like best. Obviously you'd have to be honour-bound not to vote for your own entry. If the limericks were posted anonymously, perhaps after a certain period the "host" could reveal who it was got the most votes.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That does sound intriguing, arnie (and WM). Often if we haven't had a Bluffing Game word or an Entitled sentence (that game has had too long a hiatus!), when someone does start it, the results are quite good.

BTW, since I am in Philadelphia I got to have lunch with WM today. What a fabulous, talkative time we had!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
That does sound intriguing, arnie (and WM). Often if we haven't had a Bluffing Game word or an Entitled sentence (that game has had too long a hiatus!), when someone does start it, the results are quite good.

BTW, since I am in Philadelphia I got to have lunch with WM today. What a fabulous, talkative time we had!

Indeed!

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I had a nice PM with Stella and realize that I took this limerick game far too seriously, and I am sorry. There are far more important things in life, and I am a nurse and should know that. Please don't let the game stop because I am a whiner.

I have asked Richard to do the next game, and I hope he will. However we decide to choose the next person to post a limerick venue is fine with me. This game has been too fun to let it drop.

Thank you.