Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Linking Quiz - a variation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Linking Quiz - a variation Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, I am re-posting my occupation quiz here because by now someone should have gotten it; it really is quite easy. Perhaps you have forgotten? [Do I get more points for forgetful posters? Wink]

1. Person who cleans.
2. The purpose of this job is to straighten.
3. This person is quite mathematical and helps researchers to answer questions.
4. A scholar of human behavior, especially interested in cultural development
5. He/she (mainly female) entertains, oftentimes increasing release of sex hormones in the adoring audience.
[Hab solved this quiz.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
first steps

1. Person who cleans.
JANITOR

2. The purpose of this job is to straighten.
ORDERLY
wait, how about ORTHODONTIST !

3. This person is quite mathematical and helps researchers to answer questions.
LYBRARIAN (c'mon, stop being silly!)
Okay, STATISTICIAN (that would'a made a good anagram)

4. A scholar of human behavior, especially interested in cultural development
ANTHROPOLOGIST

5. He/she (mainly female) entertains, oftentimes increasing release of sex hormones in the adoring audience.
STRIPTEASER

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sidenote: Is quinine used much in the U.K.?

Isn't Schweppes Quinine Water of British origin? Or am I just being taken in by an old advertising campaign featuring an actor affecting a British accent, and to call it British is as gullible as calling chop suey Chinese or pizza Italian?

(Side note to the side note: Anecdotal reports say that for some people with nighttime leg cramps, quinine gives them relief. US FDA says it isn't so and therefore brought about the removal of Quinine tablets from drugstores, but a bunch of people avow that quinine water at bedtime helps them, FDA pronouncements to the contrary notwithstanding.)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hab gets 5 big ones!

I love the way you talk to yourself while you do these, Hab. Wink

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Quote "...Isn't Schweppes Quinine Water of British origin..."

I believe so. And it used to be called "Indian Tonic Water". It had quinine in it which gave it its bitterness - although I don't know whether it still does.

Quinine was at one time the only treatment for Malaria (still the world's biggest killer disease I believe) and was much used by the British who were, at that time, the explorers and rulers of much of the world. Malaria was a major problem in tropical parts of the Empire.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We call it Schweppes Tonic Water; it was (according to Cadbury Schweppes plc) introduced in 1870 and soon became popular with the British in India, as it contains quinine, used as a preventative measure against malaria.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
OK I'll post one.

(I couldn't gt Kalleh's "very easy" one because we don't use the word "orthodontist" in the UK so I wouldn't guess it if I sat here all day.)

Anyway, try this.
The theme is cryptic crossword clues to famous people. I hope it's not too easy.

1. Is the religious establishment sick of the old PM ?

2. Muddled brewer boldly rejects right tunesmith.

3. So Greenland wasn't eponymous then?

4. It's time for the talking horse inventor.

5. Continued like little sibling to be famously wealthy.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris J. Strolin:
The theme is _Wordcrafters and the Wordcraft Board_:

1.) Anyone beginning a new thread and seriously claiming that the sign "Apple's for sale" has merit will undoubtedly be opening a real one of these.

2.) Without this 3-letter acronym (and/or its siblings and/or competitors) none of us would be here.

3.) Another (slightly longer) acronym which might describe the disorder, especially as seen by a newcomer, that our cross-threading can sometimes create.

4.) On this board, R.E. has adamantly denied following any professional sports teams but I have it on reliable authority that he very much _is_ a big fan of _______.

5.) What Kalleh and Jerry Thomas and KHC and I and most of the rest of the Wordcrafter regulars will never see again.

Kalleh seems to have had success with re-posting her challenge so allow me to do likewise with the following clues added:

1.) A slang term which I know is used on both sides of the Atlantic.

2.) Think Bill Gates.

3.) This one's too easy - no hint required.

4.) My favorite clue of the five, keep in mind Kalleh & Shufitz recently visited R.E. in England. We know your secrets, R.E.!!! Kalleh & Shufitz are still barred from this challenge due to the inside information they have (and which Kalleh shared with me via email when I specifically asked) but I should add that there is absolutely no mean-spiritedness attached to this clue.

5.) A sad reality.

Regarding recent correct answers, once again controversy rears its attractiveness-challenged head. Haberdasher solved the "Women" challenge with the aid of KHC's post and graciously credited her with helping so all those responsible will share the points PLUS Hab get a bonus point for good sportsmanship. That's the good news.

The bad is that the judges say Honk! - one of the rules (and overall general guidelines with competitions of this sort) is "grey matter only" so Hab is docked 4 points for googling.

Additionally, I'm tempted to dock both B.H. a point for his U.K.-Only challenge (Americans so not speak "cryptic") and Shufitz for encouraging the use of the Eponyms page (see "No Grey Matter" rule above) but, believe it or not, I really don't want to argue. Plus it is great to see B.H. join in. My reaction? "Not in a pasture, ebullient plus two."*

And now the standings (and this is definitely getting sticky):

Haberdasher - 12
Me - 8
Shufitz - 8
Arnie - 5
Hic et ubique - 5
Kalleh - 2 7/8
Bob Hale - 2
KHC - 2
Wordnerd - 2
Google.com - 1

And one last word: Effective almost immediately, I'm going to have to go back to a Mondays-Only-Including-Tuesday-Mornings-Sometimes-Maybe posting schedule due to work constraints and other diversions. Since it has become obvious that I only gain points by posting challenges while, at the same time, I suck at solving them, I'm more than happy to declare Haberdasher the Marquis of this competition.

* Don't waste your time trying to puzzle this out. It's only "psuedo-cryptic."

posted Hide Post
quote:
It's been said that these things are easier to create than to solve and I suppose I would agree for the most part. One way to make them harder to write would be to narrow the focus of the theme SO! Without further ado, I would like to present the latest challenge with the theme of, believe it or not, _Gardening Puns!!_

A.) The best way to learn how to dig in your garden is by _____ _____ ______.

B.) This was a temple where ancient Greeks could get obscure or ambiguous gardening advice from a canine priestess.

C.) This old adage, eight words in length, is some no-shit good advice warning against ingratitude.

D.) What you should say to a friend after he or she helps you spread a protective covering of organic matter around your trees and bushes to help prevent the freezing of the roots.

E.) What Julius Caesar might have said (in English) about how he dealt with an infestation of Sequoias in his garden. "I came, I chainsawed, I conquered."

Postscript: OK, major problem here. In putting together this challenge, which I hope you will admit was a challenge in itself (I mean, "Gardening Puns" for God's sake!) I hate to have to admit it but I've screwed this completely up. The Julius Caesar quote was a clue for a previous version of this challenge in which I later wrote myself into a corner. In posting the above, I took it from my hand-scribbled notes and tacked it on to the challenge where it simply did not fit. My apologies, my apologies, my forehead scrapes the floor and 3 points off my total for wasting everybody's time. The correct letter E) is:

E.) You say you're raising your own vegetables because you're frugal but this is how the birds describe you when they're not ravaging your green beans.

Again, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry...

_Bwaaaah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!_ OK, Kiddos, _this_ challenge will be just slightly more difficult than my others have been. The Wordcrafter having the best chance of solving this one will be the person having a sense of humor closest to my own, something I realize most of you won't want to admit even if you suspect it might be true. If nobody nails this one right away (a distinct possibility but, then again, who knows?) I may supply hints Monday.

Here is the other challenge of mine still open complete with the whole wretched story of my totally regretable ineptness. Thanks to all for not responding with the cat calls, jeers, and brickbats I feared might be the result of what I posted the other day. (Or maybe no one bothered to scroll back to read it?...)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, my God, CJ! I worked day and night on that one....not eating, sleeping or doing anything. Tsk! Tsk! Tsk! What do you say, guys? Should we deduct points from CJ? Wink

we don't use the word "orthodontist" in the UK

So sorry, Bob. I surely didn't know that. Aren't the physician specialties at least the same? What is an orthodontist called in the U.K.?

posted Hide Post
Americans so not speak "cryptic"

Sure we do!
Thinking out loud:

1. Is the religious establishment sick of the old PM ?
Church-ill

2. Muddled brewer boldly rejects right tunesmith.
"boldly" + "brewer", rearranged ("muddled"), is lloydwebberr; now discard (reject) the r (for "right") and get the songwriter Andrew LLOYD WEBBER

(sounds as if it's trying to be "Eric the Red," or even the "Era of Eric the Red," but I don't see how that connects to the definition)

4. It's time for the talking horse inventor.
Ed-is-on (Mr Ed, the talking horse, is on the air now; Thomas Edison is the inventor)

5. Continued like little sibling to be famously wealthy.
"little sibling" should be "bro" or "sis" or maybe "sib"...
begins with ON, from Edison...
Yes - and "like" is "as" - that makes it ONASSIS. He was certainly famously wealthy.

That's a start Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,

posted Hide Post
from CJS:
D.) What you should say to a friend after he or she helps you spread a protective covering of organic matter around your trees and bushes to help prevent the freezing of the roots.

That should be "Thank you very mulch!"
Does that help with any of the others?

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
If that organic matter came from a place where animals are protected, perhaps the appropriate comment would be sanctuary mulch.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now, CJ says we can't even use Google to find some of the harder answers. Boy, am I dead meat! Roll Eyes So, I'll keep cranking out the quizzes for the rest of you.

This is another easy one, folks, with the theme being: Food

1) A luscious fruit, often eaten for breakfast (yes, in England too!)
2) This fruit is referred to in a popular Christmas song.
3) This vegetable has an interesting word history, beginning as an Arabic word, passing on to Spanish, then to Italian, which is the source of the English word. [If too hard, I will give an easier clue.]
4) This condiment can be spelled 2 ways.
5) What American people who will only eat French food are considered.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:

(sounds as if it's trying to be "Eric the Red," or even the "Era of Eric the Red," but I don't see how that connects to the definition)

It was. Perhaps not a very good clue. Sometimes (Over here at least) rather than being cryptic in the way that all the others were (I.e. the answer can be "built" from bits of the clue) crosswrod clues are simply bad jokes.
The spelling I usually see is Erik the Red but I'm not going to quibble about a "C" or "K".

5/5
I'll make them harder next time now that I know that it's only CJ who doesn't speak "cryptic".

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:

I'll make them harder next time now that I know that it's only CJ who doesn't speak "cryptic".

I look forward to it, but just be careful not to jump to conclusions. So far all we've established is that I do speak cryptic. If I'm the only one, we'd have a fine dialogue but not much company!

Is the connection to your definition the notion that if Greenland had been eponymous it would have been called "Redland" then? (in both senses of the word "then")

posted Hide Post
quote:
The theme is _Wordcrafters and the Wordcraft Board_:
And, one week later, the answers are:

1.) Anyone beginning a new thread and seriously claiming that the sign "Apple's for sale" has merit will undoubtedly be opening a real one of these. a can of worms

2.) Without this 3-letter acronym (and/or its siblings and/or competitors) none of us would be here. MSN

3.) Another (slightly longer) acronym which might describe the disorder, especially as seen by a newcomer, that our cross-threading can sometimes create. SNAFU

4.) On this board, R.E. has adamantly denied following any professional sports teams but I have it on reliable authority that he very much _is_ a big fan of Fuller's 1845. (heh, heh...)

5.) What Kalleh and Jerry Thomas and KHC and I and most of the rest of the Wordcrafter regulars will never see again. 45

So, R.E.! Were you afraid that I had photos of you in your wayward youth in full football regalia screaming in the stands at some cricket match?

And Kalleh, I already docked myself 3 points for that screw-up. I could dock you a point yourself for wasting a whole day on this nonsense but, nice guy that I am, I'll let it slide. Plus, if you worked that long on it you should have it at least 4/5 completed. Answer tomorrow.

As I mentioned before, I'm going to have far less time in the near future for this board than I've had in the recent past so if anyone else wants to take over informal ThreadMastership of this competition (compiling standings, insulting contestants, etc.) feel free.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Far be it for me to be a nitpicker, but...does one have to have MSN in order to "be here?"

And, CJ, I wish you and Shu and all the rest of you would talk about your own ages, and not mine! Here I was trying to make everyone (who hasn't seen either me or my photo) think that I am a 20-something gorgeous doll. Sheesh!

I suppose it was clever to use 45 for the next clue, but I was stuck trying to come up with something that began with "F" (only now that I see this in print do I realize what I could have come up with! Wink)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Since I screwed this one up slightly, I'll give you all a couple more days or so plus the following hints:
A.) The best way to learn how to dig in your garden is by _____ _____ ______. The middle word is "and."

B.) This was a temple where ancient Greeks could get obscure or ambiguous gardening advice from a canine priestess. Dogs, like U.S. Marines, are always faithful. (This hint is more likely to help Arnie, R.E., KHC, or aput than WinterBranch or Kalleh.)

C.) This old adage, eight words in length, is some no-shit good advice warning against ingratitude. If you're looking for quality fertilizer, you're in the wrong neighborhood.

D.) What you should say to a friend after he or she helps you spread a protective covering of organic matter around your trees and bushes to help prevent the freezing of the roots. This one was answered by Hab above.

E.) You say you're raising your own vegetables because you're frugal but this is how the birds describe you when they're not ravaging your green beans. Think homonyms.

And Kalleh (who turns 83 this summer, God bless her!) I included "and/or its siblings and/or its competitors" to cover the fact that MSN is not universal, regardless of the best efforts of our beloved Bill Gates.

posted Hide Post
Talk of the Beatles elsewhere inspired the following.

The topic: The Beatles

A.) Very short slang term, popular in the U.K. during the sixties, often used to describe the foursome.

B.) The best Beatles album ever. (Yes, I know this is an opinion but no arguments, please.)

C.) Some of the more inelegant Beatles lyrics included a reference to "Yellow matter custard dripping from ____ ____ ____ ____."

D.) One of the few songs on which Ringo sang the lead.

E.) When Beatle music became unpopular.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
The topic: The Beatles

A.) Very short slang term, popular in the U.K. during the sixties, often used to describe the foursome.

Fab

B.) The best Beatles album ever. (Yes, I know this is an opinion but no arguments, please.)

Abbey Road

C.) Some of the more inelegant Beatles lyrics included a reference to "Yellow matter custard dripping from ____ ____ ____ ____."

a dead dog's eye

D.) One of the few songs on which Ringo sang the lead.

Yellow Submarine

E.) When Beatle music became unpopular.

Never!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
Picking up loose ends

theme : Food

PEACH

CHERRY Tree Carol

3) This vegetable has an interesting word history, beginning as an Arabic word, passing on to Spanish, then to Italian, which is the source of the English word. [If too hard, I will give an easier clue.]
Haven't a clue, in spite of what you gave. RYE goes nowhere.

?

?

posted Hide Post
Here's the other loose end

GARDENING PUNS

First thoughts:

A.) The best way to learn how to dig in your garden is by _____ _____ ______. The middle word is "and."
______ and spade

B.) This was a temple where ancient Greeks could get obscure or ambiguous gardening advice from a canine priestess. Dogs, like U.S. Marines, are always faithful.
Delphi-nium

C.) This old adage, eight words in length, is some no-shit good advice warning against ingratitude. If you're looking for quality fertilizer, you're in the wrong neighborhood.
________TH

Thank you very mulch!

E.) You say you're raising your own vegetables because you're frugal but this is how the birds describe you when they're not ravaging your green beans. Think homonyms.
CH_______

Does that give anybody any ideas?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
FOOD
Ah, not quite Hab. BTW, is the point of this game for all of us to post quizzes and for poor Hab to have to answer them all? I think we're making them too hard!

Okay, I will make it easier.

1) Think BREAkFAST fruit (peach???)
2) Okay, maybe I was too subtle here. It is a really famous Christmas Carol, but this is only one of 12 areas addressed.
3) Too hard a cue...scratch it. Instead: When you eat this you have a heart.
4) Easy enough! Think guys....condiment (and common). I know you Brits have it because I saw it when I was in England, so don't pull, "Oh we don't have that here."
5) Once you get 4, you should get this.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
FOOD
Ah, not quite Hab. BTW, is the point of this game for all of us to post quizzes and for poor Hab to have to answer them all? I think we're making them too hard!

Okay, I will make it easier.

1) Think BREAkFAST fruit (peach???)
2) Okay, maybe I was too subtle here. It is a really famous Christmas Carol, but this is only one of 12 areas addressed.
3) Too hard a cue...scratch it. Instead: When you eat this you have a heart.
4) Easy enough! Think guys...._condiment_ (and common). I know you Brits have it because I saw it when I was in England, so don't pull, "Oh we don't have that here."
5) Once you get 4, you should get this.

grape ?
pear
artichoke
ketchup
uppish ? upstart ? uppity ? upper class ?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
My suggestions in green

_GARDENING PUNS_

______ and spade

trowel and error

B.) This was a temple where ancient Greeks could get obscure or ambiguous gardening advice from a canine priestess. Dogs, like U.S. Marines, are always faithful.
Delphi-nium

oracle at delphinium ???

________TH

Thank you very mulch!

CH_______

cheep

posted Hide Post
Definitely making progress!

_GARDENING PUNS_

A.) The best way to learn how to dig in your garden is by _____ _____
TROWEL AND ERROR I like it!

oracle at delphinium ???

________TH

Thank you very mulch!

E.) You say you're raising your own vegetables because you're frugal but this is how the birds describe you when they're not ravaging your green beans.
CHEEP
Definitely! And if it isn't right, it should be!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
oracle at delphinium ???
Some musings, in the hope they will inspire someone...

I just can't get the connection here. The priestess of the oracle at Delphi was the Pythia, named after a dragon slain by Apollo, Python. She went into a trance and her utterances were interpreted by priests for the questioner. What has this to do with gardens? Where do dogs come into it? The motto of the USMC is Semper Fidelis (always faithful). Dogs are supposed to be faithful, but so what?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've got a feeling this will star with oracle and end with fido but other than that I'm still in the dark.

And that would make this (maybe) start with don't and end with earth or patch

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
grape ?
pear
artichoke
ketchup
uppish ? upstart ? uppity ? upper class ?

Bob, you have all but # one (the last being uppity, though you have the right idea.)

However, do you really eat grapes for breakfast? I didn't see that when I was in England. Let me even make that easier: There are 2 words for this fruit, though one is a more general term, and I used the specific term.

posted Hide Post
canteloupe? I don't know any other term for it, and don't usually eat it for breakfast, and don't think of it as particularly being luscious - tasty, certainly, if you get a good one, but not "luscious" - the only thing it really has going for it is its spelling... Great strawberries are luscious, maybe a fantastic peach, but they're not -pe words!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I love cantaloupe (melon). I see it at breakfast all the time, and when we were in England, they always had it available at breakfast. Just goes to show....

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
This talk of canteloupes reminds me of the old dog on my Grandpa's farm. That dog loved to go to the melon patch, where Grandpa grew canteloupes, watermelons, and honeydews. He'd expertly select a ripe one, then push it around till it came loose from the vine, and roll it down the slope till it broke open. Then he'd devour the inside part.

Question: What breed was that dog?

Answer: ... ...

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Melon Collie, of course.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
hab: canteloupe? I don't don't think of it as particularly being luscious - tasty, certainly, if you get a good one, but not "luscious"

Ogden Nash thinks differently. Wink
quote:
One cantaloupe is ripe and lush,
Another's green, another's mush.
I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe
If I possessed a fluoroscope.

posted Hide Post
Regarding the gardening puns, this series started off with "trowel and error," my original and I'm quite proud of it.

Unfortunately, it ends with "or" which didn't bring to mind a second gardening pun so the second in the series was a bit of a stretch. If anyone's still keeping score, I'll give B.H. 7/8 of a point for getting 7/8 of the way there. The answer was "Oracle of Del-Fido." (groan)

The third of the series was the one I considered the easiest of the lot but no one came up with "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

I was going to make the gardener of item #4 an Elvis impersonator but you got "Thank you very mulch" (another original) without that hint.

Ditto "Cheep! Cheep!"

I realize that no one completely solved this one only because doing so would imply that he or she had a sense of humor similar to my own.

So, a quarter point more for me. Big deal.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I like writing these quizzes....too bad I am not as good at solving them! Wink

A quiz about WOMEN:

1) Young, perky, pretty women are called this...but men hate to be called this.
2) What a man calls a woman who flirts around with him, but never (how to put this politely...?)does what he wants. Wink
3) Women with this kind of appeal often attract a lot of men.
4) What a woman often gets from a man when the marriage ends in divorce.
5) How good are you with remembering limericks? This is one of my favorites, dealing with a woman named Jill. What is Jill?

posted Hide Post
(1) cute
(2) tease
(3) sex appeal
(4) alimony
(5) nymphomaniacs..

Kalleh, how'd I do??!!

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of speaking Cryptic

I came across this on another board: "How to Speak Cryptic".
It's a bit lengthy, but more everyday-English than many such instruction sets.

(Feel free to ignore if your interest in the subject has already been exceeded!)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
KHC, you have just won yourself five big ones! (as my Dad used to say!)

Congratulations! Big Grin

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
CJ,

Just curious -- I posted a set of answers to your Beatles quiz a few days ago. Do I assume they were all right? Smile

posted Hide Post
Oh, yes. Completely on the money. Sorry not to acknowledge your correct answers. Possibly at the time my reaction was that the Beatles quiz was entirely too easy and that your answers were obviously correct.

Or, more likely, I simply had my head up my butt. Sorry.

posted Hide Post
OK, the last Beatles challenge was way too easy so here's a harder one. All answers have to do with the Beatles themselves and not their music.

A.) In my opinion, if you want to cite one person as being primarily responsible for the break-up of the group, Paul would be suspect #1 although the blame is more commonly placed on Yoko Ono. In this regard, I strongly feel that she has suffered a _____ _____.

B.) In the very early days, the name "Beatles" caught people's attention because of its odd spelling. Probably the worst way to misspell "Beatles" would be with an _____.

C.) The only reason Ringo was the oldest Beatle was that ____ ____ ____ ____.

D.) The first ex-Beatle to die was ____ ____.

E.) George Harrison's birth month was ____. (OK, you can google this one but it might not help you!)

Now, I realize that I screwed one of these things up before AND it may appear to you at first that I've done so again but I swear this is not the case. If someone is extremely sharp and solves this right away and, at the same time, would like to allow the rest of the crew to strain their grey matter and gnash their teeth in their unsuccessful attempts to do likewise, feel free to PM your answers to me.

posted Hide Post
two-fifths

A) is a BUM RAP

B) is with an APOSTROPHE

C)\
D) |> Yer on yer own!
E)/

three to go!

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher: B) is with an APOSTROPHE
C.) The only reason Ringo was the oldest Beatle was that He was born first.

D.) The first ex-Beatle to die was Stu Sutcliffe.

E.) George Harrison's birth month was February.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good, both of you. I had thought including Stu Sutcliffe in the mix would have thrown you a curve (baseball metaphor - see related thread) in that "John Lennon" was the obvious incorrect answer. This would have left George Harrison's birthmonth beginning with "On" and various Wordcrafters scratching their heads in puzzlement, much to my delight, but such was not to be.

Is anyone going to pick up the scoring in this thread? I abandonned it long ago but I'd be curious as to how Hab's 2/5 and Shu's 3/5 and all the rest totalled out.