Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Linking Quiz - a variation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Linking Quiz - a variation Login/Join

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted
As I understand the rules of the Linking Quiz as put forth in K&S's other thread, the idea is for each person to supply just one word or topic or whatever and for the string to go on indefinitely or, if one is feeling competitive, to come up with an entry which cannot be built upon. I'd like to suggest a variation on this theme.

It's not clear to me if the pub game is a competition but this variation definitely is. In it, one person will submit a list of five clues in which the correct answers fit the linking characteristic described. A series of such answers might be 1.) Happiness, 2.) S.S. Pinifore, 3.) remarkable, 4.) legume, and 5.) Me Tarzan, you Jane.

Rules & Scoring:

1.) As you can see by the above example, answers may be single words, phrases, proper names, or whatever as long as one might be reasonably sure that most people would be familiar with them.

2.) Any person submitting a challenge gets a point for doing so. If there is a theme that fits all the answers, such as they're all geographical names or all having to do with beer (!!) so that the presence of a theme might help the guessers, one more point will be earned by the person submitting the challenge.

3.) The first person to post the correct list gets a point and an extra point for promptness if his or her answer is posted within 24 hours of the challenge first hitting the board. A bit of strategy: If you've got, say, four out of five but the fifth one is stumping you, feel free to PM what you've got to the ChallengePoster (Aha! Another new coinage!) since to post what you've got would only help your competitors. Plus maybe you'll get partial credit, especially if no one gets all five. I haven't decided yet.

4.) One more point to the person posting the challenge IF it stays on the board a full week with no one correctly supplying the list. Now, naturally, this would be an easy point to score if you simply wanted to construct an impossible challenge. Let's have an honor system sort of atmosphere about this. I won't post challenges revolving around 1950's American television programs if Arnie won't do one on Latin phrases or R.E. won't post one on, oh, I don't know, famous British footballers.

5.) Any disagreements regarding the fairness (or, more to the point, lack thereof) of any challenge will be settled in the usual way - arguments, sarcasm, angry finger-pointing etc. Play nice, people! Don't make me declare myself Prime Minister of this thread!

6.) There will be no confusion, as there sometimes is with the Bluff Game, regarding who goes next because several games may be played consecutively. In fact, one ChallengePoster may have up to three challenges going consecutively although let's agree to a maximum of just one per day.

7.) No extra points for imagination (how to judge fairly?) although, of course, it is to be encouraged.

Allow me to start. The theme of this first challenge is that all answers are made up of five letters or less:

A.) This pseudo-Italian (he was actually American) piano player was one of three or four brothers who made their marks in pre-WW2 movies. His real name was Leonard.

B.) It used to be that you put your elderly parents into an Old Folk's Home. Now you buy them one of these.

C.) This is an authoritative principle considered to be absolutely true or an excellent (in my opinion, though many disagreed) 1999 film satirizing modern religion.

D.) It's nickname suggests this place is Communist although this is not the case. It is the location, however, of a couple of not-too-stereotypical American rovers presently doing the usual touristy things - driving around and sending home photos.

E.) And, last but certainly not least, a proper way of saying "I'm coming!! I'm COMING!!!"

Late postscript: This one has been solved. Answers are below so do not scroll down it you'd like to play this one on your own.

OK, that's it! I've made the first one fairly easy, if I do say so myself, to start things off.

The official standings so far:

Me - 2 points
Arnie - 0 (knowing him, a close second)
Kalleh - 0
Asa - 0
Shufitz - 0
etc, etc, etc - 0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chris J. Strolin,

posted Hide Post
Chico (Marx/marks)

Condo (minium) (I wanted to make it "Harpo" and "Porch" at first)

Dogma

Mars (Spirit and Opportunity)

RSVP (if you please)

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(Not meant to be a hijack, but then this _is_ supposed to be a word Board...)

Addendum - but when you RSVP (repondez, s'il vous plait) you may equally properly say "I'm NOT coming!" Are there many questions where both the affirmative and the negative are correct replies?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,

posted Hide Post
DingDingDingDingDingDingDing!!! We have a Win-aaaah!!

And even more quickly than I had anticipated. Allow me to follow up with a second challenge, slightly harder, with an odd theme: All correct answers begin AND end with "DO."

A.) Two square dancers circling each other back to back and returning to their original positions, OR, a slang term for an action or exchange where little is accomplished.

B.) Advice often given by your hypocritical parents.

C.) Leave this on the street in many cities and you stand a good chance of being fined.

D.) A legendary radio and TV announcer, born 1918, most famous for his work as announcer on "Saturday Night Live," "Jeopardy," and "The Price is Right." (I admit to a very slight American bias on this one but the guy truly is famous.)

E.) You can't be any deader than this.

Late postscript: This one has been solved. Answers are below or, better yet, try to work them out on your own.
Present standings:

Me - 4
Haberdasher - 2
Everybody else - a close tie for third.

That's it for now. See you all tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
a) do-si-do (spelling optional. Comes from "back-to-back" in French - "dos-a-dos")

b) "Do as I do (Not, as I say." See how the movement of a comma can change the meaning!)

c) doggie-do (No disrespect, but shouldn't that be "doggie-doo"? As in "Deep Doo-doo"? You wouldn't say Deep dodo, would you? [see E below ])

d) pending. Donald somebody, no doubt.
addendum: Don Pardo (Didn't know the Mafia had been involved with TV quiz shows!)

e) dead as a dodo (I keep trying not to think of "do" in musical terms. What is do-si-do, a major seventh?)

All for now. 11PM and past my bedtime. Surely someone else likes this game?

posted Hide Post
quote:
c) _doggie-do_ (No disrespect, but shouldn't that be "doggie-_doo_"? As in "Deep Doo-doo"?

"Doggie-doo" is correct, yes, but "doggie-do," "dog do," and other variations are also findable in the dictionary. That's the good news...

The bad is that HONK, the judges say you did not score 5 for 5. Try again.

Present standings:

Me - 3 (I docked myself a point for posting two challenges on the same day. If I'm going to make up the RulesRulesRulesRules, I ought to be able to follow them.)

Haberdasher - 2 (no points off for incorrect guesses)

Everyone else - 0 (though I'm considering negative points for non-participation.)

posted Hide Post
OK, let's try another one. The theme of this series is: Geographic locations

1.) It's fairly common knowledge that you run the greatest risk of getting caught in the rain in this country if you happen to be in any one of a number of broad expanses of flat and generally treeless land there.

2.) The name of this state capital is almost unique in that it has the name of its state within it.

3.) This European area is the site of a long-standing governmental agency and is not, as I had once been lead to believe, favored by gay vacationers. (Sorry, my bad!)

4.) This is the only country that borders both France and the answer to #1 above.

5.) This city in southwest South Dakota, in the eastern part of the Black Hills, is a lot slower than its name implies, believe me!

Later Postscript: This one's been solved too. All mine are as easy as all get-out.

OK, so this leaves just me and Haberdasher playing with each other (Hey, wait a minute - That didn't come out right!) with the score a resounding 5 to 2. What's up with everybody else??

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Excellent, excellent game, C.J.

1.) It's fairly common knowledge that you run the greatest risk of getting caught in the rain in this country if you happen to be in any one of a number of broad expanses of flat and generally treeless land there. Spain

2.) The name of this state capital is almost unique in that it has the name of its state within it. Indianapolis (Indiana)

3.) This European area is the site of a long-standing governmental agency and is not, as I had once been lead to believe, favored by gay vacationers. (Sorry, my bad!) Isle of Man

4.) This is the only country that borders both France and the answer to #1 above. Andorra

5.) This city in southwest South Dakota, in the eastern part of the Black Hills, is a lot slower than its name implies, believe me! Rapid City

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Guess the theme here:

1) a severe critic
2) the tree bark that yields quinine
3) someone in love with himself/herself
4) an extremely loud person
5) a mechanical model of the solar system

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris J. Strolin:
A series of such answers might be 1.) Happiness, 2.) S.S. Pinifore, 3.) remarkable, 4.) legume, and 5.) Me Tarzan, you Jane.
Your fine quiz is in no way diminished by the quibble that the G&S play is entitled HMS Pinifore. Wink Big Grin

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by me: "Your fine quiz is in no way diminished by the quibble that the G&S play is entitled HMS Pinifore. Wink Big Grin"

er, make that HMS Pinafore. Red Face
(hic blushes)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This is a great game, CJ, and I enjoy reading it. However, it is too hard for the likes of me! Sorry! Red Face

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Me too!

And, by the way, I am the last person who is likely ever to post about British footballers, famous, infamous or unknown. I know the name of only one football player and that was Stanley Matthews. Who he played for and when, I know not, neither do I care.

And if every football player, football fan and football pundit were to be marooned at the North Pole with unlimited supplies of Anheuser Busch chemical fizz beer, nobody would be happier than me!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was whining that I couldn't get any of the answers, and then Shu told me that you can post a quiz without having to answer one! So, here goes....the theme is occupations.

1. Person who cleans.
2. The purpose of this job is to straighten.
3. This person is quite mathematical and helps researchers to answer questions.
4. A scholar of human behavior, especially interested in cultural development
5. He/she (mainly female) entertains, oftentimes increasing hormonal release of sex hormones in the adoring audience.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hic et ubique:
Your fine quiz is in no way diminished by the quibble that the G&S play is entitled _HMS_ Pinafore. Wink Big Grin

To a well-known (by most people, not necessarily me) tune:

I deal in Double Dactyls in a way that is imperial.
As Emperor they range from quite G-rated to venereal.
But when it comes to musicals, I'd go but I'm not free tonight.
I am the very model of a G&S play neophyte!

(ahem!) Well, first off, I'm glad to see this thread pick up some steam. If I have any quibble it is with the fact that so many of the clues posted here are of such high intellectual caliber that they make for a less enjoyable challenge for those of us with, let's say, a bit more limited grey matter than the rest. (And I definitely include myself in this category, believe me.) When making these things out, keep in mind that not all of us work out the London Times crossword in under 15 minutes. In pen!

Allow me to post another offering based on a subject I'm sure will appeal to all Wordcrafters of the Wordcraft board. The theme is Wordcrafters and the Wordcraft Board:

1.) Anyone beginning a new thread and seriously claiming that the sign "Apple's for sale" has merit will undoubtedly be opening a real one of these.

2.) Without this 3-letter acronym (and/or its siblings and/or competitors) none of us would be here.

3.) Another (slightly longer) acronym which might describe the disorder, especially as seen by a newcomer, that our cross-threading can sometimes create.

4.) On this board, R.E. has adamantly denied following any professional sports teams but I have it on reliable authority that he very much is a big fan of _______.

5.) What Kalleh and Jerry Thomas and KHC and I and most of the rest of the Wordcrafter regulars will never see again.

Present Standings:

Me - 7 (It isn't difficult to rack up mucho points here)
Shufitz - 3 (only 1 point for an entry without a revealed theme)
Kalleh - 2 1/2 *
Haberdasher - 2 (no credit for correctly solving 4/5 of my 2nd entry)

So where is everybody else? B.H. & J.T., I thought these would be right up your respective alleys. WinterBranch, are you still with us? And what's up with KHC computer-wise and TrossL any-wise? And Museamuse!! Were those last few posts nothing more than a tease??!

* Kalleh, I know how much you enjoy half points in the standings so I'm giving you one here for the assistance you provided in putting this most recent challenge together. As such, however, neither your nor Shufitz will be elligible for any points from this particular entry. My rules... Sorry! If you like, feel free to PM me with the correct answer, which undoubtedly will be easier for either of you two than for the rest of the board, and I'll award some sort of Honorable Mention if you like.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C. J. Stroblin

What Kalleh and Jerry Taylor and KHC and I and most of the rest of the Wordcrafter regulars will never see again.

WHO???

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry thomas:
quote:
Originally posted by C. J. Stroblin

What Kalleh and Jerry _Taylor_ and KHC and I and most of the rest of the Wordcrafter regulars will never see again.

_WHO??? _

Sorry, Sorry! I so often refer to you as "J.T." I got your name wrong when I used nothing but my (faulty) memory when making that post but have since corrected it.

I was confusing you with the June Taylor Dancers. I bet you get that a lot.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Present Standings:
Haberdasher - 2 (no credit for correctly solving 4/5 of my 2nd entry)

Ah think Ah have to file a protest heah. Ah didn't see nuthin' in the rules that indicated "the correct entry is what's written on the piece of paper in the top right-hand drawer of my desk" or words to that effect. If the answer satisfies the requirements of the problem, it's correct, even if it wasn't the one the poser had in mind.

GAMES Magazine gives a free T-shirt for "Eureka!"s, other correct answers that escaped the consideration of the puzzlemaker.

Now Ah don't want no CJS T-shirt, but Ah does want to make the point that the Roolz allow for other correct answers can exist. Make that two points. And no ex post facto changes, neither.

posted Hide Post
Nope, nope. I've checked with the judges and they still say HONK!

One of your answers was either incorrect or didn't make sense, depending on your point of view. It was close, maybe. I'll even give you a 4 1/2 out of 5 mark if you like but, sorry, no points.

I'd advise you to review your entry, admit the error of your ways, and correct same before some other clever Wordcrafter beats you out of your 2 points.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope, nope. I've checked with the judges and they still say HONK!

One of your answers was either incorrect or didn't make sense, depending on your point of view. It was _close_, maybe. I'll even give you a 4 1/2 out of 5 mark if you like but, sorry, no points.

I'd advise you to review your entry, admit the error of your ways, and correct same before some other clever Wordcrafter beats you out of your 2 points.

Ah don't care what yo' rationalization is! Y'all know what Ah meant! Do as Ah say now, Suh, not as Ah do!

[PS and thanks for the hint! - 4/13]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
A couple of things...
First, look at it this way, CJ; if Hab weren't playing this game, who'd be answering the questions? Don't piss him off! Give him the points!

Which brings up another point: It is much easier posting the questions than the answers. I think that should be reflected in the points (which screws me!).

Lastly, I got an e-mail from CJ saying that my #3 definition is too vague. I agree and blame it all on Shufitz; he said the definitions shouldn't be too easy. My original definition for #3 was: This person is quite mathematical and helps researchers to answer questions.

posted Hide Post
Hab - You're giving me the heebie jeebies with that Foghorn Leghorn - Master of the Plantation accent.. Stop it! Smile

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry. It was meant to convey that I'm only joking. I forgot that dialects really aren't a joking matter. (contrite-e)

And, Kalleh, it's virtually impossible to make me angry at people, so don't worry. Sometimes I'm not sure whether that's a virtue or a flaw...

posted Hide Post
Hab,
It's a virtue... !

And I just didn't want you stealing my Southern accent...
Are all y'all fixin' to come up for suppa? I just wrung the chicken's neck...Smile

posted Hide Post
Speaking of accents - remind me next December to post "Twelve Days of Christmas on the Bayou" ! Smile

posted Hide Post
OK, this game has been critiqued by a few of you and I agree that some fine tuning is in order point-wise. From here on in:

2 points for presenting a challenge and each entry must have a theme.

5 points for correctly answering a challenge and no extra points for promptness. (A bookkeeping nightmare - what was I thinking?!)

1/4 point to the originator of a challenge that goes a week without being correctly answered. (I'd like to think that the purpose of a game such as this is simply to have fun with it and not to out-braniac one's fellow posters, which, even in the highest of I.Q. circles, would not be overly difficult to do.)

Challenges posted under the old rules will now be scored under the new ones. As difficult as some of them are, this seems more than fair.

As it now stands, we have three challanges still open:

A difficult and unthemed entry from Shufitz dated Apr 10,

A difficult one from Kalleh on the topic of "occupations" (maybe it's just me but your "clarification" still left me scratchin' my noggin) dated Apr 11th, and

A ridiculously easy one (comparitively speaking) from me on "Wordcraft & Wordcrafters" (written with an eye towards generating interest in this thread) dated Apr 12th.

Hab is officially awarded another point for correcting an earlier effort bringing him up to a second-place tie with Shufitz.

And, while I'm feeling creative, allow me to present another relatively easy one (story of my life) on the topic of "Punctuation and Diacritical Marks."

A.) Besides Budweiser Beer, a _____________ __________ is the bane of R.E.'s existence.

B.) A part of a newspaper where it is often considered permissible to not use punctuation.

C.) (Honk! Honk! Warning! Warning! Trick question alert!!) If you were asked, "What language is that you're speaking?" your answer might be this, a word with a tilde, IF you were a native speaker. If English were your first language, probably not. (Multiple answers may be possible but **CAUTION!** they don't all end with the same two letters.)

D.) This cocktail contains whiskey, bitters, sugar, fruit, and a hyphen. (It sounds like it might be a favorite of your grandfather's but you know how he gets when he's had a couple!)

E.) Inability to properly use punctuation is a direct reflection upon a person's ______.

(Oh my God! Talk about five easy points!)

Later Postscript: Yep, they sure were! This one was another one solved quickly but (as of Apr 15th, anyway) there are a few challenges still open above.

Standings (if anyone cares) are Me - 9, Hab & Shu - 3 each, Kalleh - 2 7/8 including a bonus 3/8 of a point for being the primary noodge regarding getting me to ammend the point system.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
it's virtually impossible to make me angry at people, so don't worry.

Oh, yes, I agree with KHC that it's a virtue. And, I didn't mean to imply (but I did, I know) that you were anything but a mellow, easygoing poster who seems to love (and excel at) word games. My point was, CJ is walking on thin ice when he criticizes one of the few who is willing to figure out the quizzes; by taking away points (unfairly!...oh! oh!...), he may lose a participant. It's easier to post the quizzes than to solve them!

P.S. Since CJ and I posted simultaneously, much of this is already old hat! Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
My point was, CJ is walking on thin ice when he criticizes one of the few who is willing to figure out the quizzes;

I wasn't criticizing Hab, I was simply grading his effort and (correctly, mind you) finding it just slightly off. "Do as I do" (Honk!) is not the same as his new and improved "Do as I say, not as I do" with or without the Southern accent.

And as far as worrying about scaring people away is concerned, call it a character flaw maybe but it hardly ever crosses my mind. If I intend to piss someone off, they'll know it. On the other hand, if they take umbrage (another favorite underused word) at some innocent comment I make, sorry, but that's their problem.

And, Hell! I like it out here on the thin ice!

Sidenote & True story: I once made love one early-Spring evening on a frozen pond where the ice beneath us was so thin you could hear it cracking. I thought this was a tremendous turn-on but, sadly, my partner emphatically disagreed and would have nothing to do with me, sexually or otherwise, forever afterwards.

(And I was just about to invest in a toboggan!)

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
CJ: I once made love one early-Spring evening on a frozen pond where the ice beneath us was so thin you could hear it cracking. I thought this was a tremendous turn-on

Is that what you call risquéting on thin ice?

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
A.) Besides Budweiser Beer, a misplaced apostrophe is the bane of R.E.'s existence.

B.) A part of a newspaper where it is often considered permissible to not use punctuation. headlines

C.) If you were asked, "What language is that you're speaking?" your answer might be this, a word with a tilde, IF you were a native speaker. español

D.) This cocktail contains whiskey, bitters, sugar, fruit, and a hyphen. old-fashioned

E.) Inability to properly use punctuation is a direct reflection upon a person's education.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, blasted! (Unlike Hab, I do get mad! Mad)

I thought of headlines, but immediately dismissed it because I have seen many apostrophes there. I'll never get the 5 points!

BTW, for you geniuses, I have just made my quiz a lot easier.

posted Hide Post
Congratulations Hic on leaping into second place with a single bound (sounds like something a under-achieving Superman would do) with the above 5 correct answers. For letter A, I was looking for "a greengrocer's apostrophe" but your answer was fine as well. And Kalleh, please, no whining! It's not seemly.

It's been said that these things are easier to create than to solve and I suppose I would agree for the most part. One way to make them harder to write would be to narrow the focus of the theme SO! Without further ado, I would like to present the latest challenge with the theme of, believe it or not, Gardening Puns!!

A.) The best way to learn how to dig in your garden is by _____ _____ ______.

B.) This was a temple where ancient Greeks could get obscure or ambiguous gardening advice from a canine priestess.

C.) This old adage, eight words in length, is some no-shit good advice warning against ingratitude.

D.) What you should say to a friend after he or she helps you spread a protective covering of organic matter around your trees and bushes to help prevent the freezing of the roots.

E.) What Julius Caesar might have said (in English) about how he dealt with an infestation of Sequoias in his garden. "I came, I chainsawed, I conquered."

Postscript: OK, major problem here. In putting together this challenge, which I hope you will admit was a challenge in itself (I mean, "Gardening Puns" for God's sake!) I hate to have to admit it but I've screwed this completely up. The Julius Caesar quote was a clue for a previous version of this challenge in which I later wrote myself into a corner. In posting the above, I took it from my hand-scribbled notes and tacked it on to the challenge where it simply did not fit. My apologies, my apologies, my forehead scrapes the floor and 3 points off my total for wasting everybody's time. The correct letter E) is:

E.) You say you're raising your own vegetables because you're frugal but this is how the birds describe you when they're not ravaging your green beans.

Again, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry...

Bwaaaah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!! OK, Kiddos, this challenge will be just slightly more difficult than my others have been. The Wordcrafter having the best chance of solving this one will be the person having a sense of humor closest to my own, something I realize most of you won't want to admit even if you suspect it might be true. If nobody nails this one right away (a distinct possibility but, then again, who knows?) I may supply hints Monday.

Standings: Me - 11 (not counting the 5 points I feel I deserve for solving Kalleh's challenge via PM but she's not buying it), Hic et Ubique - 5, Hab & Shu - 3 each and, bringing up the rear, Kalleh with 2 7/8. Comments I've made elsewhere regarding non-participation apply here as well.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And Kalleh, please, no whining! It's not seemly
Sorry!

Don't forget about my quiz above on occupations. It really is quite easy.

Here is one on friends:

1) A flaky lady on an American television show about friends.
2) Our good wordcraft friend, Richard, loves this.
3) Diamonds and this kind of coat are a girls best friend. Wink
4) You always want your friends to be _____.
5) Our wordcraft friend who always helps us with our computer problems.

P.S. Arnie has successfully answered this quiz, which CJ describes as "excrutiatingly easy." Well, then pass an easy one my way!

[Sorry about the missed apostrophe in number 3; I didn't want to edit it in and then have CJ's post about it be confusing. I should have known better! Mad]

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
1) A flaky lady on an American television show about friends.
Phoebe
2) Our good wordcraft friend, Richard, loves this.
beer
3) Diamonds and this kind of coat are a girls best friend.
ermine
4) You always want your friends to be _____.
near
5) Our wordcraft friend who always helps us with our computer problems.
arnie Confused

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Five big ones for arnie!

Now, people, how about an easy one once in awhile so that I can get some points? Wink

[CJ, I hope that won't be considered "whining"! I don't want to be 'seemly'!]

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I had that same thought that you did. However, I felt that I need to accurately quote CJ.

posted Hide Post
quote:
And Kalleh, please, no whining! It's not seemly.

Kalleh, your thought was fine but your execution was slightly faulty. The original is above. I was commenting (jokingly, yes, B.H.) that the whining was not seemly or, if you prefer, was unseemly. Whining would not make you seemly. Quite the opposite in fact.

If this exchange has ruffled your feathers I truly do apologize and to show you my sincerity in this regard I won't even dock you a quarter-point for the lack of an apostrophe in your "girls best friend" above.

Also, to everyone, a suggestion: If and when one of your challenges is successfully met, how about putting a postscript to that effect somewhere in it. I've done so with mine and had Kalleh done the same with her most recent (excruciatingly EASY!) challenge, I would have been spared the let-down of thinking that I had racked up 5 points when I also zipped through her latest effort only to find I that had come in a pointless (again, story of my life) second place. Very well done, though, K.

One last note: After for trying to get my daughter interested in this site for months, this thread has piqued her interest a bit. She's working on a challenge of her own and so, hopefully, we may have a new member soon.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes, you are right, CJ & Jerry. Rereading my reply about "seemly" I see that I was wrong and CJ was right. Sorry! Oh, and then I missed an apostrophe too?! Rats!

I guess I have been spending too much time venting in the prognostication thread! Roll Eyes

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Kalleh)

Jerry, I had that same thought that you did.

That's good, Kalleh.

To think otherwise would be unseemly.

posted Hide Post
OK, if, like Kalleh, I am destined never to grab points in this thread 5 at a time, I'll continue to plug away with challenges which, yes, are easier.

Today's topic: Women

A.) Ethel Merman sang "There's No Business Like Show Business" in this movie.

B.) This is what Kalleh does not wish to appear.

C.) She has eyes that men adore so, and a torso even more so.

D.) This thrice hyphenated word describes what kind of Southerner KHC is.

E.) This fictional woman starved her dog. (though we'd like to believe it wasn't entirely her fault)

One or two of the above may be a bit rough but overall I'd say it's not a killer.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
CJ: only 1 point for an entry without a revealed theme.

Now CJ, aren't you changing the rules on me? You'd said, "If there is a theme one more point will be earned."

Nothing there requires that the theme be revealed. I'd kept it undisclosed for fear that disclosure would make the quiz too easy.

But since no one's yet answered, let's reveal that the theme is Eponyms.
1) a severe critic
2) the tree bark that yields quinine
3) someone in love with himself/herself
4) an extremely loud person
5) a mechanical model of the solar system

posted Hide Post
1) a severe critic aristarch
2) the tree bark that yields quinine chinchona
3) someone in love with himself/herself narcissist
4) an extremely loud person Stentor
5) a mechanical model of the solar system orrery

(didn't know chinchona and orrery were eponyms!)

posted Hide Post
Today's topic: Women

A.) Ethel Merman sang "There's No Business Like Show Business" in this movie. Annie Get Your Gun

B.) This is what Kalleh does not wish to appear.seemly

C.) She has eyes that men adore so, and a torso even more so.Brittany Spears? Ethel Merman? Wonder Woman?

D.) This thrice hyphenated word describes what kind of Southerner KHC is.a-steel-magnolia..Smile

E.) This fictional woman starved her dog. (though we'd like to believe it wasn't entirely her fault) Old Mother Hubbard

I think I've failed this test.. Hab has bested me 10 times over!

posted Hide Post
Small Things in Europe
1. strategic German port
2. river of German demarcation
3. Swiss capital
4. St. Petersburg river
5. tiny country

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
Now CJ, aren't you changing the rules on me? You'd said, "If there __is__ a theme one more point will be earned."
I didn't change the rules, I adjusted them. The point of having a theme (and, moreover, giving a point for same) was to make it easier for the guessers, A hidden theme defeats this purpose, as originally stated, so your entry earns a total of one, as in uno, point.

I'd kept it undisclosed for fear that disclosure would make the quiz too easy.
Right. "The tree bark that yields quinine" and you don't want to make it too easy!! (Sidenote: Is quinine used much in the U.K.? I'd say we're about as familiar with quinine over here in the states as we are with David Beckham.)

Present standings:

Haberdasher - 8
Me - 8 (including THREE POINTS OFF for my Gardening Pun entry. The full shameful story is now part of that post. Apologies to all.)
Arnie - 5
Hic - 5
Shufitiz - 3
Kalleh - 2 7/8
Wordnerd - 2

KHC, I'm not sure you've completely got the idea of this game. Each answer must link to the one before and after it letter-wise. Suggest you reread the original rules.

More later - gotta fly...

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
CJ, you can scoff all you wish at my claim that disclosure would have made it too easy. But the fact is that once disclosure was made, hab solved the puzzle in less than an hour.

With the word "eponyms," someone was sure to check the Wordcraft Eponyms page. Smile

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordnerd:
Small Things in Europe
1. strategic German port Kiel
2. river of German demarcation Elbe
3. Swiss capital Berne
4. St. Petersburg river Neva
5. tiny country Vatican City

posted Hide Post
let's make this a collaborative effort

A.) Ethel Merman sang "There's No Business Like Show Business" in this movie. _Annie Get Your Gun_
sounds right

B.) This is what Kalleh does not wish to appear._seemly_
UNseemly?

C.) She has eyes that men adore so, and a torso even more so._Brittany Spears? Ethel Merman? Wonder Woman?_
I would have guessed Venus de Milo, but it seems to be "LYdia the Tattooed Lady."

D.) This thrice hyphenated word describes what kind of Southerner KHC is._a-steel-magnolia_..Smile
Old Mother Hubbard sounds right, and beginning with DY and ending with OL suggests DYED-IN-THE-WOOL

E.) This fictional woman starved her dog. (though we'd like to believe it wasn't entirely her fault)_ Old Mother Hubbard_
I like it!

(confession: I Googled "Eyes that men adore so" to find Lydia. Google is marvelous as a source of obscure information and I feel just as much fun, and no more qualms about, invoking it, as I would using a dictionary. [I just don't believe as much of what I find there as in the dictionaries...])

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
With the word "eponyms," someone was sure to check the https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eponyms.htm. Smile
Not until afterwards, if the truth be told. Forgot all about it, actually (abashed-e). Thanks for the memory jog!

Speaking of the Wordcraft Eponyms page (now that I've reviewed it) I have the sense that Pooh-Bah, the Lord High Everything Else of Titipu, was named for a long-extant word rather than the other way 'round. Which (if true) would make it a namesake rather than an eponym, technically speaking, wouldn't it? Are there any earlier-than-G&S references to "pooh-bah" to be found? (TLTLIU-e)