Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Some Witty Modern Terms
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Witty Modern Terms Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
I stumbled upon these definitions, from US News & World Report, Dec 30, 1996

BEEPILEPSY. The momentary seizure of panic suffered when one's pager goes off.
CAFFEINATED WATER. H2O with caffeine added; this hot new bottled product is the latest cure for sleepiness.
CAR HOPPING. Soliciting or accepting an invitation for a joy ride, usually from a stranger. Oh, for yesteryear, when carhops were waitresses at drive-in restaurants.
CHIP JEWELRY. An obsolete or obsolescent computer ready to be discarded or cannibalized for computer-chip tie pins or earrings.
CORPORATE ANOREXIA. A debilitating business disease resulting from excessive belt tightening, known today as downsizing.
DEAD TREE EDITION. The paper version of a newspaper or magazine that also exists in electronic form. (cybernaut lingo)
DEMONIC MALES. Human males genetically driven to aggression in love and war. [Demonic Males by Richard Wrangham and Dale Peterson (Houghton Mifflin)] Humanity's only hope: the civilizing influence of females. Grandma said as much, but she had no DNA backup.
DILBERTED. The state a worker is in after being abused by a capricious and cruel boss.
EGOSURFING. The searching of databases, the Internet, newspapers, etc. for your own name.
ENHANCED UNDERWRITER ACKNOWLEDGMENT. Doublespeak in the Public Broadcasting System (where commercials are barred by law) for lengthened messages from private companies, acknowledging their contribution to paying for the show.
FILIARCHY. A tyranny of tots (example: America today). Coined by James U. McNeal, marketing professor at Texas A&M University, to describe the increasing power of children in family purchasing decisions in this era of working mothers.
FIND AND BITE. Method of using police dogs to track down and bite crime suspects until a handler arrives on the scene to apply handcuffs. Challenged by civil libertarians; deemed by police to be much less effective; but preferred by 9 out of 10 suspects.
HOTELING. Providing employees who are usually on the road with no permanent workspace in the office, just cubbyholes for rotating use. Sometimes called hot desking. Management tool to reduce overhead.
McMANSION. A faux chateau with gables, cathedral ceilings, a two-story foyer and a big family room. Creates the illusion of a rural estate--until the the master and mistress look out their windows and find no rolling greensward but an undersized lot and a close view of the neighbors.
STALKERAZZI. New vogue term for the paparazzi, photographers who stalk celebrities to get titillating shots of them topless or bottomless, canoodling with one who is not their spouse.
TRIP CHAINING. The combining of trips to and from work with other errands such as picking up laundry, buying groceries and delivering kids to school or day care and retrieving them. Trip chainers are the bane of mass-transit promoters because they have no choice but to use their cars.
TWIT FILTER. Computer software that blocks all messages from obnoxious people whose desire to communicate exceeds the desire of recipients to be communicated with.
WEB PRESENCE. An impressive website, one that suggests that the owning corporation, university or other institution is a cyberspace-savvy major player. Executives used to try to impress with tall headquarters towers now they stand tall on the information superhighway.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Interesting! I've actually heard about half of those.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I stumbled upon these definitions, from US News & World Report, Dec 30, 1996

Hmmm, I imagine there is a story in back of that. Wink

I hadn't heard of beepilepsy. I love it! Only...I would apply it to cell phone users. I get so sick of seeing people go to all sorts of machinations, in the middle of anything, to answer their phones. It probably is why I am one of the only people in America without a cell phone. I had one for a number of years and just couldn't stand the interruptions. I don't miss it at all.

Of course "corporate anorexia" is fun, too.

Those are great, Hic! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Another one I've heard:

Managerial Drive-by: when the boss zips by your cubicle and leaves a huge project in her/his wake.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post