Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Vote for the Limerick game: Dún Laoghaire
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vote for the Limerick game: Dún Laoghaire Login/Join

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Right then. Now we just need some limericks Smile

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
May I say that one of the great pleasures I take in this group is its passion for discussing rules. Not since my youth-- when my mother's clan gathered at the Cape annually & adults relatives spent every evening shouting each other down on the finer points of bridge-- have I been able to enjoy so extensively the hubbub of being surrounded by, shall we say, reglophiles.

Carry on!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes, I hear you, bethree. I remember the time my hands got slapped for rhyming the destination after lines 2&3, and not 1,4,5. That's why I was surprised that people don't agree about rhyming the whole word of the venue, instead of just part of it.

And, with all this discussion of rules, we'll still not please everyone.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I think one person should pick the city, then everyone else make up a lim on any other one they choose. I believe it's called the "anarchic system."
Now I'm off to my Wobbly meeting.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think one person should pick the city, then everyone else make up a lim on any other one they choose. I believe it's called the "anarchic system."

No. Those who indulge in that kind of behaviour are known as "politicians" and the system is known as "government".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
On the rhyming question, Kalleh, I don’t know that we can require that the whole name be rhymed. A name like Dún Laoghaire isn’t really different from Venezuela where the stress isn’t on the first syl and though not impossible to rhyme under that rule, I guess ... Dennis Mailer / tennis failure / menace whaler (with a little laxity) - it would cut down the options.

I’d rather we rhyme from the last stressed syl wherever that may fall – of course it’s a bonus if you rhyme the ones before that too, if you can.

As far as the slapping of hands went - was that me? I don't remember - you know that some of that judging was tongue-in-cheek, don't you. If I couldn't find anything to separate a few limericks, I'd just make something up ... and (she says, sharing the blame around) can I say I think I learnt that trick from bethree. Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the rhyming question, Kalleh, I don’t know that we can require that the whole name be rhymed.
Sure we can, just as we require the rhyming in lines 1, 2, and 3...and I think we should. At any rate, I will. If it means the limericks are harder to rhyme, so be it.
quote:
As far as the slapping of hands went - was that me?
Oh no. Of course not. I just meant that everyone said that wasn't the "rule." Ah well. I'll never get these "rules." Wink

posted Hide Post
Rhyme

3. correspondence of sound between stressed syllables at the ends of words or lines of verse; specif., perfect rhyme (sense )

4. a word that corresponds with another in sound, esp. end sound

Perfect rhyme

Rhyme in which the stressed vowels and following consonants of the rhyming words correspond, but preceding consonants do not (Ex.: make, take)

Webster's New World College Dictionary

(The first two definitions are of a rhyme meaning a piece of poetry)

Although it is perfectly in order to rhyme the syllables before the stressed syllable, it is not obligatory so to do. There have been many place-name rhymes in this game that have not rhymed the whole word. Of course we can do what we like in this game - and if we choose to insist on whole-word rhymes then we can do so. But as Stella suggests, it could make things very tricky.

My own preference would be to keep to the usual rules of rhyming, as defined by Webster, but those who choose to use a whole-word rhyme could be given credit for that in the judging.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Has anyone besides me send Stella a limerick on Cust? Shouldn't be much trouble rhyming that one.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have sent some.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I haven't. But I will.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have, but even I wouldn't vote for this one! I wrote it far to quickly; I think that's my problem with "competitive" limericks. While I haven't written on OEDILF for awhile, I can rely on them getting workshopped there.
quote:
Although it is perfectly in order to rhyme the syllables before the stressed syllable, it is not obligatory so to do.
If I was unclear, I apologize. Yes, I get that. However, this being a game where the whole point is to rhyme the destination, well, I just think it's nice to have a "perfect" rhyme.
quote:
My own preference would be to keep to the usual rules of rhyming, as defined by Webster, but those who choose to use a whole-word rhyme could be given credit for that in the judging.
Yes, I understand that no one wants to change that rule here (except for me!), so that's fine. After all, life isn't perfect. Wink