Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game: Pultrusion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game: Pultrusion Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Pultrusion is the new word for this game. Please PM me with a made-up, plausible or fanciful "daffynition."

If you're new to this game, do NOT post the actual definition if you know it, and don't look it up either!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, thank you for starting this game again! I've always loved it and hated to see it abandoned.

Let's keep it going, guys. Get your daffys to Asa! Mine's on the way...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Isn't this a limerick game? I just sent one to Asa. Oops!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Proof, this is a daffynition game. That is, we all make up definitions, trying to dupe our fellow players. Therefore, you can't be too ridiculous or no one will select it. When Asa gets about 6 or so, he will post all the daffynitions, along with the true definition, and we will all try to guess the right definition. Arnie rocks at this game!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
That's OK, Proofreader, we can make your daffynition work, although I may do a bit of editing. Wink Or you can edit yourself. Just pretend you're writing an entry for Webster's or the OED.

Valentine is in with one too. Keep 'em coming!

<Proofreader>
posted
Wow! Do I really come off as that dumb?
I just thought of my original daffynition in limerick form and my post was a JOKE! Tell you what .... if anything I write is serious, I'll end it with one of these :-|

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Don't sweat it Proofreader, Kalleh will be the first to tell you that she is rather prone to taking things literally. (And now she'll get all embarrassed that she did so. Oh, how well we come to know each other on these boards.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
:-)

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You should have mine now.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Don't sweat it Proofreader, Kalleh will be the first to tell you that she is rather prone to taking things literally. (And now she'll get all embarrassed that she did so. Oh, how well we come to know each other on these boards.)

Yeahbut - it was I, not Kalleh who took him seriously.
Frown Confused

<Proofreader>
posted
Time for Kalleh to enter in her most appropriate role (as I see it): Referee :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Edited typo. :-) :-) :-) :-)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I have to side with Asa here because I undoubtedly would have taken Proof's post the same way. Yes, Bob is right; I take everything very literally.

I've posted this example before, but it perfectly shows my literalism. My friend is half Hawaiian and half Chinese, and her husband is 100% Chinese. Therefore, she felt a little awed by some of the formal Chinese traditions. They were going back to China, and in a very proper tradition she told me she was supposed to "pour tea on my knees," in front of her in-laws. She told me how scared she was about that. Without missing a beat, I responded, "Won't that hurt?" She gave me a confused look, and then she laughed hysterically. Roll Eyes Oh well.

<Proofreader>
posted
I see no reason I should not have written a limerick on "Pultrusion." I've been there many times and have always been impressed by the very traditional "Pouring of the Tea," followed by the "Cavalcade to the ER."

Do I really need a smiley face here?

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Mine's in as well--

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

Do I really need a smiley face here?

Nah, I know the difference between smiley faces and smelly feces. Wait, no I don't! They both mean, "you gotta be shi**in' me!" Roll Eyes

Asa, who, when asked if he have a sense of humor, says, "Yes: black bile." (They NEVER say which humor!)

<Proofreader>
posted
There seems to be some mild confusion
If I’ve ever been to Pultrusion,
Where tea’s poured onto knees
As polite as you please --
Is this just my own mad delusion?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Last call before I publish the daffynitions and the real one for you to guess. (Or select if you actually know it)

posted Hide Post
Mine is in.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'll publish the list tonight. Anyone else got a daffynition?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Annnnnnd, the Daffynitions (plus the real definition)are:

1. A portmanteau word (pull + extrusion) for a manufacturing process that produces constant cross-section composite materials.

2. Technique in tool-and-dye manufacture.

3. The segment of a pliable substance that is shaped by being forced under pressure through a small openning.

4. An indentation or dimple in leather work, made with a stippling tool.

5. An artistic style in which the surface of the canvass is roughened or scratched before the paint is applied.

6. A birthmark that is felt to enhance the look of a face; a beauty spot

7. Interruptions by children.

8. The abcessed area at the site of a projectile injury where the projectile, such as an arrow, has to be yanked out.

9. The process of laying an egg.

10. In physics, the theoretical bulge in space-time at right angles to the main mass of a pulsar.
A portmanteau from pulsar + protrusion.

There you have them. Some are similar, but none are exactly alike. Now, will the real pultrusion please stand up? Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
4 for me, please.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I'll take 1, please.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I like #4, too.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
1 for me, please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
My favorite is #9!!!!

But cast my vote sensibly for #3, please...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Number 10. Pultrusion does have the feel of a portmanteau word, but number 1 doesn't work for me.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
In my usual spirit of contrariness, I shall try 6.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
One more day for selecting the real pultrusion! Those who didn't submit a daffynition may reply too.

posted Hide Post
1 for me.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
We've been pultruded long enough! Here's the results:

quote:
1. A portmanteau word (pull + extrusion) for a manufacturing process that produces constant cross-section composite materials.

The real definition. As usual arnie knew it, but how did Myth Jellies and Wordmatic know it?

2. Technique in tool-and-dye manufacture.

This was Beethree's, who also submitted another. I only used one, but should have used them both. Using "dye" for "die" probably didn't help either. :-(

3. The segment of a pliable substance that is shaped by being forced under pressure through a small openning.

Myth Jellies oozed through a small opening to pen this one.

4. An indentation or dimple in leather work, made with a stippling tool.

Wordmatic snared Proofreader and Kalleh with her dimples!

5. An artistic style in which the surface of the canvass is roughened or scratched before the paint is applied.

Bob Hale's artistic style garnered no takers, but I like it!

6. A birthmark that is felt to enhance the look of a face; a beauty spot

Bob Hale liked arnie's birthmark! Big Grin

7. Interruptions by children.

Kalleh's daffynition got no takers.

8. The abcessed area at the site of a projectile injury where the projectile, such as an arrow, has to be yanked out.

This mouth-watering daffynition came from the fertile mind of Proofreader.

9. The process of laying an egg.

Beethree clucked for Valentine's egg!

10. In physics, the theoretical bulge in space-time at right angles to the main mass of a pulsar.
A portmanteau from pulsar + protrusion.

Utter malarkey I threw in just to confuse Valentine!

Some good ones there, folks! Who's next?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Mine was a guess, based on the theory that No 1 was the least unlikely.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
#1 was the least unlikely, in one sense, because it (but for the detail of composite material) is a good definition of "extrusion". Since I didn't really see a need for a new word to describe pulling extrusion, and didn't think in any case that a portmanteau word would be coined, I went for the utter malarkey (thus demonstrating my almost total ignorance of advanced physics).

I'm next, with a twist. See the new topic.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
The real definition. As usual arnie knew it, but how did Myth Jellies and Wordmatic know it?

I'd like to claim that I can read Arnie's mind, but mine was just a guess too. I loved Kalleh's and BeThree5's, but could tell they probably weren't real. Almost bit on the space-time continuum, Asa!

WM

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Im amazed that three of you simply guessed it! Good going!

Now, on to Valentine's word(s)!