Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Spokane
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Spokane Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
Location for the limerick contest is Spokane [spo-CAN, hear it at below link]. Second-largest city in Washington State, USA, & largest city between Seattle and Minneapolis, it had its beginnings in the early 1800's as a fur-trading, then general trading center, later a center of gold & silver mining, logging, agriculture. It is the commercial center of the Inland Northwest region. Although downtown is hardly picturesque, 'Lilac City' has a notable parks& garden system designed by Olmsted brothers. Residents can vacation nearby at gorgeous mountain Lakes Coeur d'Alene & Pend Oreille, or drive 4 to 5 hrs to world-class sites for snow sports & rapids-shooting (Columbia R., Cascade Mtns)

pronunciation: http://www.howjsay.com/index.p...pokane&submit=Submit

Please PM me with your wordcrafty lims!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have a dear friend who just moved there from Chicago to be with her man. It's much smaller than Chicago, so she's adjusting a bit (not the number of cultural events, restaurants, etc.), but she says it's charming. Can't wait to write one! Thanks, Bethree!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thinn I ever found charming in Spokane was the White Elephant surplus store, which, if it still exists, is bound to be just another big box store. We don't seem to be getting any surplus stuff from our present wars. I wonder why that is? I mean, who wouldn't want their very own Predator drone to spy on their neighbors or wipe out the noisy kids down the street?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The US Department of Defense still holds auctions of surplus equipment and such. It's probably that tastes have change and folks don't want surplus anymore. Wait, that's not true. I shopped in a local surplus store about 5 or 6 years ago.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect you've been in the White Elephant too. Have you?

<Proofreader>
posted
Our local city council threatened to put a "Surplus Store" sign on my cellar.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Three lims from two respondents in so far-- all great! Let's have some more.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll get one in as soon as I can figure out how to rhyme "Cobain," cocaine," and Spokane. Confused

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I'll get one in as soon as I can figure out how to rhyme "Cobain," cocaine," and Spokane. Posts: 2525 | Location: Гулаг

Don't forget "insane" and "migraine".

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Bethree. I'll work on one tonight...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
BTW, I think it's pronounced spoh-CAN - that's how my friend who lives there pronounces it - not like CANE.

posted Hide Post
Yes, Kalleh, it is. I was playing with the non-rhymes.

<Proofreader>
posted
This relates to the other thread about alternate pron. I've heard it pron both ways, although "cane" is not common.

Locally there is a villae in northern RI named Pascoag. Like most of the other towns here which have Indian names, most people usea hard "g" when saying its name. But there is a minority who drop the "g" entirely and call it Pasgo.

posted Hide Post
Are they Monopoly players?

Consider how many UK towns are pronounced in a manner that gives little clue about their spelling. For that matter, Indiana locals murder the French pronunciation of the many French place names in this state. "Versailles" is "Versails, and "Notre Dame" is Noter Daym." "Terre Haut" is "Terra Hote."

As for Washington names, Tinman might want to chime in here with the REAL pronunciation of "Seattle."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Tinman might want to chime in here with the REAL pronunciation of "Seattle."

does it rhyme with Beatle?

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
HallOOOO, out there, may I have a couple more limericks for the hopper pliz?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:

does it rhyme with Beatle?http://historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=8156&PlayID=33

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Say-what-How-to-really-pronounce-Seattle-1250631.php

posted Hide Post
Rats, I don't know why I can't make links of them, but you can cut and paste, then after you hear the audio, I defy you to rhyme it! Big Grin

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Rats, I don't know why I can't make links of them, but you can cut and paste, then after you hear the audio, I defy you to rhyme it! Big Grin

Oh my gosh. Sounds like someone started to say 'Seattle', then interrupted themselves to slurp up spit.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
24-HOUR NOTICE - WILL POST SPOKANE LIMERICK POLL ON WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON OR EVE.
We have 7 limericks from 5 people. I'm inspired by these entries to try a 2nd myself.

posted Hide Post
I just sent you a last minute entry. See PMs
Whew! Right down to the wire!

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Got it

Posting poll now