Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    HONOLULU POLL
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HONOLULU POLL Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
1.The young queen of old Honolulu
Just loved to go bra-less in a muumuu
The chiefs eyed her bust
And decided she must
Henceforth wear Victorian frou-frou

2.In hiding, home in Honolulu
Just biding her time on 'er new loo -
Her hot-spot was gleaming,
As she was day-dreaming
Of riding it home on a Zulu.

3.Had a date with a wacko - a Zulu-
Who claimed she was from Honolulu.
And although she's not white,
She says to my delight
That her dad was the Star Trek's mate Sulu.

4.Though some may put down Honolulu,
Waikiki's not easy to poo-poo.
My Cape beach? No surf.
Rocky shores mar my turf.
And the beach is oft pocked with goose doo-doo

5.Trying to rhyme Honolulu’s
A pain because of the two-loos
My brain is all hazy,
It’s driving me crazy
Get it right, I win and you lose

6.My kids love the song, "Bunny Foo Foo;"
They sing it in fair Honolulu,
In beautiful Prague,
And in London's thick fog,
And the African language of Zulu.

7.When Desi performed Honolulu
Our Lucy snuck-in as Dancer “Sulu”
She did a strip tease
The men said "Yes please"
And Desi howled out "baba-Bu-Lu"

Question:
Vote for your favorite limerick

Choices:
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Quite a difference in taste with this one. The one I selected was for the content, not necessarily the technical aspects.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's down to two (or three) schools of thought as to what rhymes with LOO-loo. I thought zulu, sulu, boo-lu worked and not foo-foo, or doo-doo. I'm not sure I understand proofreader's point, which might be the third. (saying that out of respect, I consider Proofreader one of the experts.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom,

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
For me, it doesn't come down to the rhymes only. As I said, I selected mine because I loved the content. Sometimes I really like the flow of the wording and the meter. Rarely do I focus only on the rhymes. I suppose that's because I like fun, pushing-the-envelope, creative rhymes.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
We have 5 votes so far, most likely those of our 5 contributors. May we have some more from our reading public Cool? Vote early & often!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So far the winner is #2...

How's about a few more votes, though?

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I'll give it another day,then publish my detailed critique >kidding<

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I love your critiques! Smile

posted Hide Post
Kalleh, you posted about Honolulu on Pearl Harbor Day and didn't even mention it. Time flies, I guess...

I'm reminded of the guy who was half Japanese and half African. Every December 7th he attacked Pearl Bailey. There's nothing published about what ol' Pearly Mae thought about it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd go for Pearl Barley. Not so much chance of fighting back.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I'd go for Pearl Barley. Not so much chance of fighting back.

Launch your torpedoes!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Aunt Jemima cooked Pearl Barley for breakfast.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Limericks #2 & #4 got the most votes at two each. Run-off: I hereby exercise tie-breaker status by throwing my weight (at least 40# in excess of ideal) to-- by virtue of blatant bawdiness cloaked in limricky perfection-- #2, penned by THE WINNAH, Greg S.

The runner-up's lim (my own Cape Cod shore lament) gets a 1/2-pt for last line, singable to 'And the skies are not cloudy all day.'

Lim #1, also by yrs truly, no votes. For a fun comparison, check out the lead portrait shots on the wikipedia entries for "Queen Lili'uokalani" and "Queen Victoria"

#3 - Proofreader wraps peculiar content in nicely-parsed verse, garnering one vote.

#5 - Tom provides wise commentary on location rhymability, to no avail.

Kalleh's #6 reads as smoothly and sweetly as a nursery rhyme-- earned my vote but no others.

#7, Tom's second entry, gives a well-written nod to a beloved hit of yesteryear. One vote.

Take it away, Greg!

posted Hide Post
Well....I finally got a vote. Thanks to whoever cast that one. I'll get that $10 to you in the mail as soon as I get an address. Big Grin

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who wrote #4?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Who wrote #4?
That would be bethree5.
quote:
The runner-up's lim (my own Cape Cod shore lament) ...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Haven't checked in for a while. Sorry too late to vote, but I think I would have voted for Tom's, so I guess I still would have been the lucky winner, because B35 was in the awkward position, of having to cast a tie-breaking vote between her own and another.

I will try to post a good Aussie town soon. We have so many great place names here, including a few I have never heard of, like one that I saw mentioned in a newspaper article the other day called, believe it or not, "Tittybong" but we only very recently had the Hong Kong game so I will steer clear of that one. Another I would consider is "Tumbarumba", but even for my lazy Aussie speech that does not make an aural distinction between -a and -er at the end of a word I still think the "number" of useful rhyming words is too limiting, where slumber, lumber and of course number are the only ones that jump quickly to mind. Although I guess one could do some interesting things with cucumber given its size and shape but most of you wouldn't think any of those words rhyme, with Tumbarumba.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Greg au contraire we have had a numbah of that type ovah the yeahs-- doubles rhyming possibilities.

<Proofreader>
posted
Considering the equality of votes in this game, it is hard to determine if the quality of the limericks has improved substantially, or has deteriorated to a new low.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
it is hard to determine if the quality of the limericks has improved substantially, or has deteriorated to a new low

Or has stayed the same perhaps?

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Or has stayed the same perhaps?

Stationary status quo?

posted Hide Post
Since I no longer submit any it must have improved.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I voted for Tom's. I am a huge Lucy fan and couldn't pass it up. See, Tom. You almost won!

Congrats, Greg! Smile Nice poll, Bethree.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Sorry folks, still deciding on a town, so many great names like the nearby rhyming country towns of Quambatook, Ninyeunook & Chinkapook. Then I was thinking I'd go with Manangatang whose once a year race meeting boosts the town's population of less than 500 people by a few thousand for the day, but then the over the State border town that has formed a joint Football Team with Manangatang has the name Tooleybuc. And most of these towns are within a a very large stone's throw of the afore-mentioned Titybong. Where to go?? Oh damn it, I'm gonna go with the town across the New South Wales' State Border of Tooleybuc.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post