Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluff game 2/27/04
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluff game 2/27/04 Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here are the results for yirn:

1. A short, improvisational poem in Uighur that is declaimed upon meeting a person outside the poet's clan.
Author: jheem fooled: no-one

2. A decorative strap on a horse's bridle, particularly used in dressage events.
Author: BobHale fooled: KHC

3. The wooden peg holding a pilaster to a beam in formal Scottish houses.
Author: Asa Lovejoy fooled: BobHale, tinman

4. In Scotland, it refers to a small forest or a thicket of trees near a lake, pond or river.
Author: KHC fooled: CJ Strolin

5. A piercing sound such as produced by the high notes of a bagpipe.
Author: Kalleh fooled: jerry thomas

6. To whine; to pout or show petulance.
The real meaning guessed by: Kalleh, shufitz

7. The thread resulting from spinning steel wool, used in the manufacture of cables.
Author: jerry thomas fooled: no-one

8. A nonce word meaning "Military." Coined by WWII cartoonist Bill Mauldin and used extensively by Ernie Pyle, it sprang from "Up Front" characters Willie and Joe advising each other "Yirn trouble" for one military infraction or another.
Author: CJ Strolin fooled: Asa Lovejoy, jheem

Points for this round are therefore:
  • Kalleh 2 + 1 = 3
  • shufitz 2 + 0 = 2
  • Asa Lovejoy 0 + 2 = 2
  • CJ Strolin 0 + 2 = 2
  • BobHale 0 + 1 = 1
  • KHC 0 + 1 = 1.

Right, who's next up to choose the word?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Can't I get at least one point just for showing up?

Am I to remain forever pointless??

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry thomas:
Can't I get at least one point just for showing up?

Spinning steel wool into cables??! I'd be tempted to dock you a point!

posted Hide Post
jerry: Can't I get at least one point just for showing up?
CJ: Spinning steel wool into cables??! I'd be tempted to dock you a point!

"I don't know why I play," said jerry pointlessly.
"Please don't dock him," said arnie pointedly.
"If you dock him, CJ, we'll have to withdraw your title as putative 'king'," said wordnerd disappointedly.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Right, who's next up to choose the word?
I wonder if we might talk aput into joining us. I can just imagine the word he'd come up with!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Is this game dead? If Aput doesn't join in, I'll start it up again.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asa,
Please bring it back to life... it is great fun..Smile

Somebody PLEASE! Second my (e)motion....

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Seconded... Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
Well, everybody seems to want a new word but no one's stepping up so allow me.

I'm going to break with tradition and, instead of a single word, I'm going with two. This round's mystery term is: June pink.

Hint #1: Even though we're all adults here, this one may bring a blush to those with more delicate sensibilities.

Hint #2: Then again, it might not.

As always, grey matter only. Send in your definitions to me via PT and I'll post them by early Thursday.

AND, I hope you realize the sacrifice I'm making here. Being the first person to take a second shot at WordMasterhood while Kalleh is in the UK means I pass up an easy chance to catch up with here in the standings.

posted Hide Post
CJ,
Look out... Kalleh is on the Board tonight.. she has computer access... ! And she doesn't seem to be drunk on British ale..

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being the first person to take a second shot at WordMasterhood
Huh? Confused I've been WordMaster three times now, and lead the standings by a substantial number of points. Razz

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
I've been WordMaster three times now, _and_ lead the standings by a substantial number of points.

Sorry, my error. You've gotten so far ahead in the standings I lost track of you.

As they say, "Out of sight, out of my mind..."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here are the standings so far; let me know if I have made a mistake:

arnie - 29
Kalleh - 17
Asa - 15
CJ - 14.5
Bob - 10
KHC - 8
WinterBranch - 4
Shu - 4
Wordnerd - 3
Hab - 1
Jerry - 1

posted Hide Post
I don't know if y'all are familiar with "Seabiscuit", the movie, and the wonderful book from which it was derived... But looking at these points..

Seabiscuit should be Arnie's nickname... Smile!!

The rest of us are lagging far behind, waiting on the glue factory.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A word of caution here if you are going to send a PM to CJ. Remember that he has had difficulty logging onto the site using his old name of C.J. Strolin, and is now using the name of "Chris J. Strolin". I suspect that any PM sent to the C.J. Strolin name won't be read.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
I suspect that any PM sent to the C.J. Strolin name won't be read.

Very good point and one I hadn't considered. This may be why only 6 entries (including the correct definition) have been received so far.

For the record, I've gotten guesses from Arnie, Asa, Kalleh, KHC, and one other person who needs to remain nameless at the moment for reasons which will become apparent later.

As either a rules clarification or, I suspect, possibly a new rule, 3 points will be rewarded to anyone submitting the correct answer as his or her guess. I'm basing this on the fact that Asa granted me 1 1/2 points for being relatively close with one of my guesses a while back.

This round promises to be screwy in more ways than one. Seeing as how PMs may have been sent into cyberspace to my old name and never to be read, I'll extend the submission period a day. The quiz will be posted Friday morning, CST.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris J. Strolin:
[QUOTE] ...and one other person who needs to remain nameless at the moment for reasons which will become apparent later.

OK, first off, disregard the above. The nameless person was myself when it looked as though I might have to add a definition to the mix to bring the total to 6. Is interest in this game lagging?

Secondly, you'll note a decided similarity in a few of the definitions I received. They're not identical, however, so here, in alphabetical order, are the choices for "June pink"

1.) a blushing bride

2.) a bride's clitoris

3.) the name nursery growers give to the delicately "pink" dianthus, a perennial which blooms in early summer and multiplies rapidly from year to year.

4.) On the color wheel, June Pink lies midway between May Yellow and July Blue.

5.) (said of a maiden) of legal marriageable age; ripe for marriage June is the most popular month for marriages and "pink" implies that the maid is blushing in anticipation of her marital duties.

6.) the swamp azalea (Rhododendron viscosum) growing in swamps throughout the eastern U.S. and having fragrant white flowers (also

posted Hide Post
Chris,

I vote for #1...

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Number SIX has my vote.

~~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll guess 3.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
In view of CJ's "adult" warning, I'll go for number 2.

posted Hide Post
Answers tomorrow. Any last guesses?

In light of my screw-up the other day (turned out the fault was with my daughter's software - Sorry) I'll continue this in the "Bluff Game Part 3" thread.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I am all confused because I thought I had already guessed. However, maybe it was in another thread? Anyway, my choice was for number 2.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris J. Strolin:
Here, in alphabetical order, are the choices for _"June pink"_

1.) a blushing bride
Provided by Kalleh, fooled KHC.

2.) a bride's clitoris
Provided by Asa, fooled Arnie & Kalleh.

3.) the name nursery growers give to the delicately "pink" dianthus, a perennial which blooms in early summer and multiplies rapidly from year to year. Provided by KHC, fooled Tinman & Asa. PLUS - following Asa's precedent from the very first round, I'm judging KHC's guess to be close enough to the real thing to award her an additional 1 1/2 points half credit.

4.) On the color wheel, June Pink lies midway between May Yellow and July Blue. Provided by J.T. and fooled no one. (A damn shame, too, Jerry. I thought this one was right up there with your "weaving steel wool into cables" effort.)

5.) (said of a maiden) of legal marriageable age; ripe for marriage June is the most popular month for marriages and "pink" implies that the maid is blushing in anticipation of her marital duties. Provided by Arnie and, amazingly, fooled no one.

6.) the swamp azalea (Rhododendron viscosum) growing in swamps throughout the eastern U.S. and having fragrant white flowers (also known as the clammy azalea and swamp honeysuckle)
Straight from the OED with 3 points going to J.T. for his correct guess.

OK, first off, thanks a lot J.T. for spoiling my bid for 3 badly needed points. You wait for me to become ThreadMaster before getting hot - I appreciate that!

Secondly, only 5 people sent in definitions and then just 6 sent in guesses. Is interest in this thread flagging?

Thirdly, Asa, I can't believe you scored 2 points for "a bride's clitoris"! You could have said "a bride's clitoris used in the making of steel cables" and I wouldn't have been more surprised at your success this round. Why is it when I try to throw people off the track so that they choose my submission, nobody bites, but then Asa reaps the benefits of my off-the-cuff "adult" warning?! Life's not fair...

Lastly, the standings (which include a bit of a surprise) have been posted in the "Bluff Game Part 3" thread. I suggest we continue this game from there and, again, my apologies for the disjointedness.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought people got 2 points for the right guess, 3 points when the ThreadMaster fools everyone, and 1 point when fake definitions are chosen by others. Why again did Jerry get 3 points? I'm just confused, that's all. In fact, along the way I may have robbed people of points, if in fact you receive 3 points for making a correct guess.

posted Hide Post
Actually I think we've done it both ways. I didn't check back before awarding J.T. his hat trick.

As my last official act as ThreadMaster for this time around, I am declaring that the first person to reach a total of 29 points will be declared the overall winner. Congratulations, Arnie!

Seeing as how Asa both started this and is presumably the next ThreadMaster, what do you you say we throw all this back into his capable lap (??!) and let him restate (or restructure) the rules on the other thread.

(Of course, if you all insist on just continuing this one, this will just allow me the opportunity to pass Kalleh and goodness knows I'm feeling lucky lately...)

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
C.J, I still can't start a new thread, so I'll post a new word here, and beg you to transfer it to a new thread - pretty pleeeeease.

The next word is Codon

Put on your stinking - er, thinking caps, and e-mail the daffynitions to me at ama11285@hevanet.com I don't trust this new board to nuttify me of new PMs, so please e-mail them to me.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Asa,

I've copied your post above to the thread recently started by CJ:
Bluff game part 3