Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Venus Bay
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Venus Bay Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
Sorry for the delay folks. I was going to do some research on the town first, but I thought why should I hold up the game, when you guys can do your own research through Google. I think there are 2 places called Venus Bay in Australia, but I'm talking about the one in the State of Victoria. It is primarily a holiday town, where a lot of people with enough of the folding stuff have their "beach house".

Looking forward to receiving your limericks by PM soon.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my bucket and spade at the ready, and just wonder if one of the more technically minded limericists can confirm for me whether I'm correct in thinking that, for this place name, we only need to rhyme with "bay" as that is the stressed syllable.

Ta Cool

Posts: 153 | Location: Merrie Olde EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Yes Alphie that's correct - you only need to rhyme Lines 1, 2 & 5 with "Bay", but that won't stop me doing my darnedest to rhyme all three syllables, which I have very nearly done with my own just completed entry (and only one received to date).

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
quote:
that won't stop me doing my darnedest to rhyme all three syllables

I bet it won't Wink (That would rather defeat the object of including the word "Venus" I suspect Big Grin)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Greg! I'm thinking....

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I should have gone with "Indented Head", because "Venus Bay" has only seen me receive one excellent entry so far. If I don't get a few more in the next few days, I think I'll just declare that one the winner, so we can get on with a better name and game.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
I think 'Venus Bay' is a good setting with many potential rhymes (besides the obvious one. Razz)

It's just that the muse has been conspicuous by her absence only. I'll see if I can provoke her into making an appearance - do some chanting, sacrifice a goat, that sort of thing.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alphabet Soup:
I think 'Venus Bay' is a good setting with many potential rhymes (besides the obvious one. Razz)

It's just that the muse has been conspicuous by her absence only. I'll see if I can provoke her into making an appearance - do some chanting, sacrifice a goat, that sort of thing.

I must admit that my musings thus far haven't come up with too many "obvious" rhymes. I know that Elke Sommer in "Carry on Behind" did manage to mispronounce "Venus" so as to rhyme with "penis" - much to the consternation of Kenneth Williams's Professor Roland Crump - but I'd not consider it more than a near-rhyme when pronounced the way that I would say it.

Incidentally, my research reminded me just how good the Carry On films were although they are always scorned by "real" artists, just as limericks are scorned by "real" poets.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Of course if the stress is, as seems likely, venus BAY then it exceptionally easy to rhyme.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, I am forced to confess that all the rhymes I've thought of are, in fact, mere 'near rhymes'. I was working on the principle that, as we are obliged to rhyme with 'bay' only, near rhymes for 'venus' would be acceptible and work as a bonus.

From a technical perspective, would that be a fair assumption? Or would it be better form to simply avoid the 'venus' rhyme altogether?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alphabet Soup,

<Proofreader>
posted
Whar ah come from Venus and penis rhyme. However, I find that Rhymezone doesn't agree with me.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, the words 'penis' and 'venus' are inextricably entwined (and, in fact, enrhymed) thanks to that quaint little ditty by The Sex Pistols, Friggin in the Riggin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPGLNYAgL-8

Be warned, the above link is entirely unsuitable for work, unless you happen to work on a pirate ship. (And is rendered extra disturbing by the inclusion of the Muppets.)

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whar ah come from Venus and penis rhyme.

Me too proof. I guess when the Brits took their language to new lands, most of us became much lazier speakers of the language than they were.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
This sounds like a job for howjsay.

Venus
Penis

I'm not sure that it actually advances the discussion, but it did make me snigger.

<Proofreader>
posted
Reminds me of the old joke.

A young man took a young lady named Venus out one eavening. Her father let the man use his car for the date and later sent the young man a note that said:

I am sending you a token
Of a windshield that is broken
And footprints on the dashboard upside down.
And there must have been some pushin'
'Cause there's spots upon the cushion
And my daughter Venus hasn't come around.

The young man replied in a note of his own:

I'll admit there was some pushin'
'Cause there's spots upon the cushion
And footprints on the dashboard upside down
But since I was in your Venus
I've had trouble with my penis
And I hope the hell she never comes around.

posted Hide Post
Final unstressed syllables in UK English are usually schwas, and thus "Venus" is pronounced "Veen's". But Penis is an exception and, in my English, the final syllable is pronounced as it is written, "peenis".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard English,

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I sent mine in, though I wasn't happy with it. I did not find this one easy, but maybe it was because I stressed the Bay and not the Venus, but wanted to rhyme both. Wish I'd thought of Venus/Penis (I focused on the "bay") because they are perfect rhymes for me...and it could have been much more fun than the one I sent.

Usually we strike up quite a conversation about these limerick threads, and I wondered what happened here. We're back in the saddle again, I see... Big Grin

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
My fault, I guess, for coming up with such a troublesome location. People can't even complete a limerick, so they're unlikely to have much to say.

To date all I have is one limerick from each of 3 people, and one person who has been clever enough to come up with 2.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
It's coming along - there's been some discussion recently on OEDILF.com about how quiet it is right now - maybe it's just October. One contributor to that site did make the point that there are a lot of Jewish holidays in October, which is why she's not doing much posting; that might affect contributors to this site as well.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It certainly has been quiet here. I've found, having been one of the administrators here since the beginning, that peaks and valleys are normal.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'm a regular contributor to four other Web forums and a fairly frequent visitor to a further four or five. All are very quiet at the moment - one hasn't had any posts at all for five days when there are usually at least three or four a day. In a couple of forums there are similar posts bewailing how quiet it is.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I'm off today & shall get right on it, er I mean, set about it promptly (hmm)

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'll get write on it, getting the writing awrite.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I have received one more. There aren't many, but what the heck, if there aren't any more in the next 24 hours I'll post the Poll anyway.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
I am off to Malaga on Wednesday 26 October so, if the poll isn't posted by then, I won't be able to vote until Tuesday 01 November.

Richard English

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
What - no Internet in Malaga?

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S:
I have received one more. There aren't many, but what the heck, if there aren't any more in the next 24 hours I'll post the Poll anyway.
I'm still suffering from a complete lack of inspiration, so don't wait on my account. Smile

(It's all the dead goats I feel sorry for...)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S:
What - no Internet in Malaga?

I'm sure there's internet in Malaga but:

1. I don't have a laptop.
2. My telephone, which is supposed to be able to access the internet, gives me more than enough trouble just accessing telephone calls.
3. O2 charge obscene amounts for overseas internet access.
4. The hotel might have internet access, but the last hotel I stayed in (also in Spain) charged obscene rates.
5. The programme for the conference is so packed that I'll probably not have a lot of spare time.
6. Yes, I know, I should join the 21st century and get one of Apple's latest gadgets but, frankly, I can't really be bothered.

Richard English

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
The Poll is posted. Hope I put it up in time for you to vote Richard.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
There aren't many, but what the heck, if there aren't any more in the next 24 hours I'll post the Poll anyway.
That gives me more of a chance to win!

posted Hide Post
Yes. I'm off to the airport in about 30 minutes so I'll do my civic duty before I leave.

Richard English