Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    limerick game: Cape Cod
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

limerick game: Cape Cod Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Here's the new place for our game. Send me a PM with your offering.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll try to get one to you this weekend. It doesn't seem that easy to me, but then I complain too much, don't I?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Assuming the correct stress is on "Cod" then it seems easy enough to me - although, when I looked it up in Rhymezone, it initally gave me over a thousand rhymes, starting with "be" and ending with "American Angelica Tree"!

I realised after a few moments of puzzlement that they were rhyming C.O.D. not cod!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Another such word is "nice."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
My husband told me about this one:

There once was a man from Cape Cod
Who said it's exceedingly odd
To think that the tree
Will continue to be
When there's no one about in the quad.

Dear Sir, your confusion is odd
For there's always someone in the quad.
And that's why the tree
Will continue to be.
I will be there, sincerely yours, God!

<Proofreader>
posted
One from Richard. Come on, this isn't difficult (I almost said "hard" but that's a hint for a rhyme).

<Proofreader>
posted
When Jeb Raltar spent time on the Cape
He partook far too much of the grape.
When he bedded a hussy
(who wasn't too fussy)
His dick folded like waterlogged crepe.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, heck. I didn't get to it, but I will. It's perfect for the train.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
One from Richard. Come on, this isn't difficult (I almost said "hard" but that's a hint for a rhyme).

Remember that British English and US English rhymes WILL BE DIFFERENT for this one.

No British dialect would, for example, rhyme Cod and hard.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...or petard, facade and esplanade - which Rhymezone suggests are perfect rhymes. And it does rhyme with hod, mod. and plod - none of which rhymezone recognises!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
...or petard, facade and esplanade - which Rhymezone suggests are perfect rhymes. And it does rhyme with hod, mod. and plod - none of which rhymezone recognises!

All of which rhyme for me, so don't worry about that aspect.

posted Hide Post
Petard, facade and esplanade all rhyme nicely for me with guard and card - but not with cod.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
All of which rhyme for me, so don't worry about that aspect.

Well not for me! I'll probably select mine this time!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mine's finally in. Probably the rhymes won't work for you British posters or you Australians or you Easterners...maybe just for me!

<Proofreader>
posted
I'm taking this opportunity to ask a question that's been bugging me for several years. In this photo there are a number of squiggly lines on the pavement. What do they stand for? I've seen other pictures of English roads with even more squiggly lines like this but I've never seen any on American roads.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll let our English colleagues answer, but I bet it has something to do with their "roundabouts."

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm taking this opportunity to ask a question that's been bugging me for several years. In this photo there are a number of squiggly lines on the pavement. What do they stand for? I've seen other pictures of English roads with even more squiggly lines like this but I've never seen any on American roads.

So far as I know (and they are a relatively new phenomenon so far as I'm aware) the squiggly lines on the road (not the pavement - that's what we call the "sidewalk") are simply there to warn drivers that they are approaching a junction or similar hazard. They are far from universal.

I don't believe it is confined to roundabout-controlled junctions - but I'll try to find out. Probably tomorrow as I'm off to London shortly.

Richard English

<Proofreader>
posted
Three so far

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I'm working on one, with of course the correct "English" pronunciation, to rhyme with bod and not bard.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Four so far. When we get to thirty, i'll post them.

posted Hide Post
Zig zag lines can mean both "no stopping" and/or "no overtaking" according to the UK Government website here - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/...2/3113/contents/made - scroll down to section 4.

They are usually found near a pedestrian crossing and have nothing to do with roundabouts. The regulation goes back to 2002.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:

So far as I know (and they are a relatively new phenomenon so far as I'm aware) the squiggly lines on the road (not the pavement - that's what we call the "sidewalk") are simply there to warn drivers that they are approaching a junction or similar hazard. They are far from universal.

I don't think that's right. The zig-zag lines are there to indicate the approach to a pedestrian crossing. There's a light-controlled crossing in the foreground of the photo, so I assume they're there to warn motorists of that crossing - the roundabout is irrelevant.

They're not a new phenomenon, either. I remember zig-zags being introduced at the approach to zebra crossings when I was a child, at least 35 years ago. I think their introduction at light-controlled crossings is rather more recent, though.

Incidentally, the junction in the photo is the so-called "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon - an example of a very rare type of junction which isn't technically a roundabout, but a so-called "ring junction" consisting of five mini-roundabouts connected together. Unlike conventional roundabouts, it's possible to travel in either direction round the junction, which can make it quite daunting to those who aren't familiar with the idea.

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Unlike conventional roundabouts, it's possible to travel in either direction round the junction, which can make it quite daunting to those who aren't familiar with the idea.

I would imagine so.

Roundabouts (or rotaries here) were once fairly common locally but offhand I can only think of three or four out of those dozens that are still in use.

I recall one late night returning from the beach. None of us had been drinking but apparently our driver was more tired than we knew. We got to a rotary and he continued as if the road was straight. We bounced across the uneven surface and landed on the proper road on the other side. He stayed awake for the rest of the journey.

Thanks for the info, RE.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
quote:

Remember that British English and US English rhymes WILL BE DIFFERENT for this one.

No British dialect would, for example, rhyme Cod and hard.

Only a New Englander would do that!

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hey, WM, send Proof 26 limericks so he'll post them!

<Proofreader>
posted
Even one, WM!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've sent two now

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So have I...

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'm sending a winner tonight...and one from Shu

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
How are we doing? In the meantime we've played a whole Bluffing Game!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Can we vote, pretty please, with sugar?

<Proofreader>
posted
I'd still like some more entries. But I will post them this weekend.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So...plod, you odd-bod clods, and we'll nod. Big Grin