Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Tocumwal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Tocumwal Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
I thought about Rockbank because of its obvious blue rhyme, but eventually decided to go with Tocumwal. The pronunciation is such that it rhymes with "woke 'em all". The town is said to be named for the local Aboriginal word for "deep hole in the river". It sits on the New South Wales side of the Murray River which forms most of the border between New South Wales and my state of Victoria. A nice little Website about the town can be found here.

I am hoping to get at least a couple of people game enough to try to rhyme all three syllables on the town's name twice, but I am certainly not expecting everybody to do it.

So start writing and send me your limericks by PM.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S:
I thought about Rockbank because of its obvious blue rhyme, but eventually decided to go with Tocumwal. The pronunciation is such that it rhymes with "woke 'em all".

So the "w" is silent?

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, I see we have another easy one. Wink This time I'll be in the running, but I am sure I won't have enough gas!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ummm, Kalleh, the location in play is Tokumwal, not Gas City! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_City,_Indiana
Where old farts go to die - or smell that way anyway.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Old farts never die -- you just get used to them.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still a little confused about the pronunciation. Wikipedia gives it as "Tocumwal (pronounced /ˈtoʊkəmwɔːl/ toh-kəm-wawl)", which doesn't quite rhyme with "woke 'em all" as Greg suggests - at least not if you require that the stressed vowel and all following sounds are identical (since one has a "w" and the other doesn't). Or was Greg using a looser definition of "rhyme" than the usual one?

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
There are two different ways I look at rhyming harder words that end in one or more unstressed syllables.

a) The final stressed syllable should rhyme, all subsequent unstressed syllables should be identical.

b) The final stressed syllable AND EACH subsequent unstressed syllable should rhyme.

I try to use the first but will use the second if I need to.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Greg, pretty please check your PMs. Bob, so kindly, is putting together a limerick book from this game, and we'd love to include some of yours. However, we need your permission first.

Thanks so much!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Greg, your permission is in the other thread but if you can it would be great if you could send a quick PM to Nancy as requested as she's going to file them all.

And don't forget that 50 word bio
Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
quote:
So the "w" is silent?

No the "W" is not silent. I was being a bit slack and suggesting that if you were trying to rhyme all 3 syllables, "'em all" would be good enough - it certainly sounds good enough, which is what I tend to go on, which is why some of my limericks have technical imperfections. If you are going to insist on putting the W consonant in then the one entry I have received may well be the only one I get. I think I should have gone with Rockbank.

Sorry haven't paid much attention to Wordcraft lately I'm moving house from Melbourne to Geelong.

Regards Greg

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Just back from Venice - I travelled both ways by train (very nice). Venice itself is probably the most expensive place I have ever visited - and not worth the money to my mind.

I'll try to write a limerick later, but it always takes time to catch up.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Venice itself is probably the most expensive place I have ever visited - and not worth the money to my mind.

I remember a day trip to Venice when I was in my teens. The trip was from just over the border in the then Yugoslavia, and I recall being horrified at the prices then. I was impressed by the Autostrada at the time; we had very few stretches of motorway in England at the time. Birmingham has more miles of canal than Venice, anyway. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. I have heard this about Birmingham - but whether it's true or not I don't know. Certainly Birmingham's canals are far less obvious, accessible or used than are Venice's. It is impossible to get around Venice unless you use the canals - as it is impossible to get around Birmingham unless you use the ring roads.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
For canals is old Venice renowned
And in Birmingham some can be found.
But the ladies of night
Think both cities a fright
Since a streetwalker there's often drowned.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am behind...I'll write one tomorrow.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Finally. Mine's in.

posted Hide Post
And mine.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think Greg is moving, so this may be awhile.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, heck, it wasn't such a good idea for Greg to do this one, was it? Does anyone have a city/venue you're dying to post? We could have an interim game until Greg returns. We could deviate from the rules for once and let anyone, not just the winner, start the game.

Who's up for starting a new game?

posted Hide Post
I don't mind starting, or getting involved in, another game.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Awwww, I'm still trying to figure something out for this one! But then I'm not a regular, so carry on as you will.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Why don't you start it, Geoff, since you often don't play? I am sure that Richard won't mind.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I'm Back!!!

Sorry folks. In the move couldn't get my old computer connecting to Internet. It was on its last legs so I bought a new one. Tried to login from another computer, but couldn't remember my password and couldn't ask it to tell me until I got my emails working on the new computer. Lots of issues including a blown Power Supply. Then when I finally got the thing up and running and seeing the Internet, Thunderbird, whilst being a nice email tool doesn't give you much help about how to import all your old stuff from your old machine. But I finally got it all done tonight, so I will see how many I've got and publish them ASAP - even if there's only 3 or 4.

I suppose I'm too late now to give Bob my 50 word bio for the Book??

Regards Greg

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Good to see you back Greg. I went for a "is a regular contrubuter to wordcraft" type bio but I did remember to include the link to your book.

You should be able to get a copy here. I have no idea antipodean costs from Lulu though.

I'll sit and write a limerick for you now and have it to you in the next 30 minutes.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good to see you back, Greg! Let's wait then on the "interim" game. Some of us are limerickholics. Wink

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
OK - let me know when you want me to post the Poll. I presently have 5 limericks from 6 contributors.

Regards Greg

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Greg, I think Kalleh is saying we no longer need to run an extra while we are eagerly awaiting your return. So if I were you I'd issue a last call, leave it a day and post it.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Hang on five limericks from six people?

And I sent two.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
OOPS - Of course I meant 6 from 5.

Poll will be published in about 24 hours.

Regards Greg

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Poll will be published in about 24 hours.

Time flies when you're having fun.