Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    OOLLY explained
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OOLLY explained Login/Join

posted
OOLLY is:

1. A traditional Scottish handkerchief.

2. Slang for money

3. The viscous coating of the mesentery, particularly at the gastric fundus.

4. A derogatory term for extremely curly hair.

5. The sound the creature Chewbacca in the Star Wars saga makes when he is upset or calling out a warning.

6. A lump or loop of iron, as wootz, when taken as a pasty mass from the crucible. [India]

7. Excellent, very good.

8. A type of dam named for its designer, John Oolly.

9. An exclamation when one is surprised, similar to "Oh, my gosh!"

I think I got everybody this time...

Pick your favorites, once for correctness and also (if wanted) for appeal.

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lessee... Back in the fifties or sixties there was a song that had the refrain, "Ooly papa cow papa cow papa cow cow," but I have no idea what song - or why a sane, sober person would say such a thing. Edit: I found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gJCyx45zq0

The one I like the best is #6, so I'll guess it's the real one. It might, however describe someone with extremely curly hair who keeps money in a Scottish kandkerchief while walking across the Grand Ooly Dam with Chewbacca, who's complaining about his gastric fundus.
Don't roll your eyes and say, "Oy!" Say "Ooly!"

BTW: Is the Scottish handkerchief with or without Scot snot?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG, Geoff!!! How funny!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, heck. None of them sounds right to me. My first instinct was #8, so I'll go with it. But my gut tells me I am wrong (perhaps that means I should choose #3 Wink)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since Hab has a medical background, I will go with #3 as the correct answer. I will vote for #6 as the most creative, though I might have that completely backwards. Geoff and Kalleh, aren't you going to vote for the most creative, also?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
1 as real
3 as most creative - it must be, I have no idea what it means

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hab has a medical background? I thought it was Kalleh. Confused Haberdashers tell people to dress; doctors and nurses tell them to UNdress and wear very UNstylish, drafty stuff.

I thought Kalleh had written #3 until she said she had no idea what it meant. But then it might just be gibberish.

BTW, I seem to remember someone using "ooly" as slang for money, but it's just not as fun as the others, so I didn't choose it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oolly didn't sound like a medical term to me, while infralapsariansism did. It reminded me of salpingo-oopherectomy, for some reason.

Hmmm, most creative? I think 5, but 4 was close. For 4, I might just have left it as slang for extremely curly hair. But derogatory? My sister has extremely curly hair.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, Hab, what's the real meaning?