Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Linking Quiz
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Linking Quiz Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Last evening Kalleh and I enjoyed a quiz given at a local pub, and it might be fun to repeat it here. The principle is simply that the last two letters of one answer must be the first two letters of the next answer.

I’ll start with a few questions and answers from last evening, and we can compose questions and answers from there.
  • Author of The Scarlet Letter? Nathanial Hawthorne
  • Oldest Greek warrior at Troy, and the only one to return home without incident? Nestor
  • Its name means "man of the jungle." Oranutan
  • First name of he who authored, "Had we but world enough, and time, / This coyness, Lady, were no crime." Andrew (Marvell)
Next?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shufitz,

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Those were questions in a pub quiz? Eek Presumably the customers were mostly Oxford dons.

There's only one word I can think of off the top of my head that begins with "ew"; the clue to which is:

A female sheep.

(Not quite the same standard of question, I know...)

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Which is "Ewe". (You could also have had "ewer").

But for my "WE" clue I would pose "...Bedford-based Brewers of the famous Bombardier bitter..."

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Now come on, Richard! How do you expect anyone to come up with a word beginning with "ls"? Confused

In the (admittedly unlikely) event of anyone not knowing the answer instantly, the brewers of Bombardier are Charles Wells Ltd.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
In the absence of any posted rules, I had assumed that this was how you won - by coming up with something that "snookered" the opponent. Was I wrong?

Incidentally, the original post did say "...the last two letters of one answer must be the first two letters of the next answer...". The term "word" was not used so I would assume that abbreviations or even figures would be allowed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard English,

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Incidentally, the original post did say "...the last two letters of one answer must be the first two letters of the next answer...". The term "word" was not used so I would assume that abbreviations or even figures would be allowed.

...which permits the next question to be

Identify a cigarette advertising slogan of the 1950s. (Hint: it makes the next question begin with "FT." Not much of a gain after all, I guess.)

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
Identify a cigarette advertising slogan of the 1950s. (Hint: it makes the next question begin with "FT." Not much of a gain after all, I guess.)

LSMFT, which means "Lucky Strike means fine tobacco", among other things.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely right, and isn'[t it a shame to betray our ages like this.

But now it's YOUR job to come up with the next Linked Question! That may be harder...

posted Hide Post
Ooh. Actually, it's not that hard, now that I think of it.

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
Next in the series:

J. R. was shot in the chest several times on March 21st, 1980. In what nearby location was J. R. not shot?

For what it's worth, I enjoy both variations of this game and see no reason both can't go on indefinitely.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
An infinity of usually reliable auhorities agree that J. R. was not shot in the vestibule.

Nor was he shot in the fracas.

Was he shot in Ft. Worth?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jerry thomas,

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
Fine, but "vestibule" doesn't begin with the letters "ft."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
Absolutely right, and isn't it a shame to betray our ages like this.

No, I don't mind at all "betraying" my age. I'm happy to have lived this long and plan to live a lot longer.

quote:
But now it's YOUR job to come up with the next Linked Question! That may be harder...

OK. As I understand it, the answer has to begin with ft. Here goes!

If you want to have fresh flowers hand-delivered anywhere in the world, call your local ______ ____________.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
call your local FTD Florist

One who has overly-endowed buttocks is _________.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Steatopygous

Next word: the lending of money at an exorbitant rate of interest.

posted Hide Post
USury. And that means that my next word means "The closest that the Japanese come to a traditonal English boarding house"

Richard English

posted Hide Post
OK, I admit it. Richard's question stumped me, so I searched one-look for words starting with ry- (just for illumination; I'd never post an answer found that way).

No success, but the search uncovered another ry- word:
......rypophagous: eating, or subsisting on, filth
What interesting things we find while looking for other things. Smile

posted Hide Post
I admit that my first thought was Rye (the cereal) but I thought that too easy.

The Japanese boarding house is actually quite a well-known term amongst those looking for cheap accommodation in that notoriously expensive country. I'll leave it a day or so before I give the answer.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
After eleven days I think drastic measures are allowed and so once more I invoke the trusty Google. And the answer is...

RYokan. That's one example.

Next challenge - name the slightly asymmetrical figure-of-eight loop in the Pacific Ocean on most globes!

PS looking backwards - the FT- continuation could also have proceeded with any fort, as in Ft. McHenry of Star-Spangled-Banner fame, or Ft. Ticonderoga of yellow-No.2-Pencil fame, et.al.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Paraphrasing the words of The Great Haberdasher, "After nine days I think drastic measures are allowed, indeed long overdue, and so once more I invoke the trusty Google. And the answer is ... analemma.

Next challenge - a legendary animal with the head of a man, the body of a lion, and the tail of a dragon or scorpion

Google may be invoked after 24 hours.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Manticore

What we do with most of the words on the board.