Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Coober Pedy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Coober Pedy Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
It's a challenging rhyme, yes indeedy
But just rhyme on Pedy if need be.
Though the homes that abound
Are built underground
It's opals that made Coober Pedy.

If you're unclear about the pronunciation just drop the Esses from "sCUBA sPEEDY". Coober Pedy is in the red earth outback of South Australia and claims to be the opal capital of the world. Because of its desert conditions and extreme heat in summer, many of its dwellings are underground dugouts with red clay walls. I visited the town once as a teenager and have been fascinated by the place ever since.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
No limericks received as yet.

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Got one and welcome back Richard.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking, Greg, but first I am confused about the pronunciation...and this may be a broader question. If you in Australia pronounce it CUBa PEEDy, is that how I should rhyme it? Because I am from the midwest U.S.A., I'd not change an "er" to an "a," as they do in the northeast U.S.A. and in England. I'd say CUBer PEEDy. Should I write it as people in Australia would say it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Hi Kalleh,

Most people will just rhyme on PEDY anyway, but if you are going to take up the challenge to go beyond that, I don't think it matters. As in if you would normally pronounce the -ER as -A, you are going to do the same to any words you are rhyming it with, while if you pronounce it -ER then you are likely to pronounce the word you're rhyming with it the same way, so I think it will work for everybody whichever way you go.

In general we Aussies are a bit lazy and over here almost all words ending in -ER are pronounced -A.

Regards Greg

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
There are some good rhymes this time but I'm having a bit of trouble knitting any three of them into a plausible yarn.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
It would seem you're not the only one, as I only have two submissions so far. It's odd how something you think will work well doesn't.

Regards Greg

Picture of Mike
posted Hide Post
I'm having the same problem as Stella, Greg. Will try to come up with something soon!

Posts: 71 | Location: OsloReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mine is finally in. Sorry about that!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Mine is in.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
As is mine.