Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game Polls
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game Polls Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There have been lots of discussions about whether or not we should have polls for the Limerick Game. Let's vote on it. Please don't accuse me of coming up with "stinkin' rules" - let's just go with what the poll says, okay? I just hate to see us discuss this over and over and over again. I'd so appreciate it if you would just go with the vote and won't take your toys and go home. And, can we dispense with the ongoing discussions on this? I do fear if these discussions continue it will be the end of the Limerick Game, and I do so love this game.

Thank you for humoring me.

Question:
Please vote on how you'd like to see the Limerick Game choices posted.

Choices:
1) Use the poll function, as we have been.
2) Post them like we do the Bluffing Game words.
3) Whoever starts the game can post the limericks however he/she wishes.
4) Other (please explain in the forum)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kalleh. I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest with my comment, it was really intended just as a bit of fun. I will continue to play the game in whatever format it takes, because it is fun. Despite having stated my preference for the Poll, I actually like your proposed Option 3, where the winner of the Game and thus setter of the next Game, can post the limericks and solicit votes, in whichever manner they see fit. Part of the "prize", so to speak, and that way nobody is disenfranchised. So I am voting for 3.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I voted other - postal votes only.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Postal votes? I assume that doesn't mean what I think it means.

Please, people, vote. Please vote for what you want, not for what you think everyone else wants. It's anonymous anyway. No matter what we do, it will work. And then maybe we can get back to limericks.

Greg, you didn't stir up a hornets nest. We've been talking about the polls or no-polls for months now. I think it has taken us away from limericks so I decided it was time for a vote on what we want. Unfortunately, now it's tied so maybe we don't know what we want. Wink

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Lest there be any mistake:

my "postal votes only" was intended facetiously.
A postal vote in the UK is where, months before an election, you apply, receive a polling card and fill it in and post it back. I have no idea if you have a similar process in the US. It's intended for people who are out of the country or otherwise unable to vote in person.

As is probably clear from my previous comments on the topic, I PREFER POLLS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Got it. Another for polls.

Now, please everyone, let's vote and finish this discussion once and for all.

Also - if you do have a question, comment, etc., about how we should post the limericks for voting, please put them in this thread, rather than to divert the specific limerick conversations.

Thank you, everyone! Smile

posted Hide Post
Polls per se are fine, so long as everything is on the same line, thereby not confusing my dyslexic brain. They must also allow for commentary. If these criteria can't be met, fuhgeddaboutit!

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Certainly everyone is welcome to comment on the polls, just like they do in the Bluffing Game format. I've noticed that some do and some don't in the Bluffing Game format, and that's fine. I don't tend to comment about others' limericks because I don't think I know enough. I simply choose the ones I like - sometimes it's because of great rhymes; other times the meter is perfect; still other times, the content, especially the ending, is excellent.

As for posting everything on the same line, that's not possible of course in the polling methodology. However, one can just count down if the polling display is confusing. I've done that a few times.

More votes, people? I'd like to wrap this up.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Someone besides Bob (who wants us to consider it a poll vote; you just can't change your vote after you've done so) voted "Other." If you did, please explain what other format you'd like to see.

Even this isn't easy! Wink

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Polls per se are fine, so long as everything is on the same line, thereby not confusing my dyslexic brain. They must also allow for commentary. If these criteria can't be met, fuhgeddaboutit!

This is where I get confused. The voting IS ALL on the same line. It's only the results that are shown differently. Why not just vote and then wait for the results to be announced without looking at them beforehand?

posted Hide Post
I guess I prefer Fill-in-the-Blank to Multiple Choice, so no to polls. But I my objection isn't particularly zealous either way, so I would cast my vote for Dealer's Choice. Which I did.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
The voting IS ALL on the same line. It's only the results that are shown differently. Why not just vote and then wait for the results to be announced without looking at them beforehand?

I totally agree, Bob.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Geoff, I don't think the poll results have anything to do with being dyslexic. Others have complained about the answer showing on top of, instead of under, the number. However, as Bob says, you can wait for the results to be announced - or count down. And, for the record, it wasn't that easy to collect the votes from the current Qatar limerick - with all the discussion about other numbers. I couldn't just look and identify the winner as I can with the polls.

Hab, as Greg has said, there is no reason we can't discuss the limericks to our hearts content when using the poll system. Indeed, we don't have to keep our votes a secret, which we really have been doing.