Wordcraft Community Home Page
Limerick Game: Butte Poll

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/7910048686

May 04, 2017, 10:54
bethree5
Limerick Game: Butte Poll
1. The president travelled to Butte<BR>(He thought it was close to Beirut)<BR>Melania stayed home<BR>She’d rather he roam<BR>As more than his hands were minute<BR><BR>2. There once was an old man from Butte<BR>Whose hearing was very acute<BR>He could hear an ant fart<BR>And tell it apart<BR>From the gas that was passed by the newt<BR><BR>3. Donald Trump travelled to Butte<BR>And of course, couldn’t keep mute<BR>He tweeted on Twitter<BR>This man child was bitter<BR>“Fake news” he had to refute<BR><BR>4. She came from the outskirts of Butte<BR>She had a most shady repute<BR>As she plied her trade<BR>A bundle she made<BR>For her wares were beyond dispute<BR><BR>5. While seeking a man of repute<BR>To be Mayor in the city of Butte<BR>There was in the running<BR>A man of low cunning<BR>Which would do as a quick substitute<BR><BR>6. I once met a girl down in Butte<BR>And she was incredibly cute,<BR>But the fun that we had<BR>Means that I'm now a Dad -<BR>DNA is quite hard to refute!<BR><BR>7. An alchemist living in Butte<BR>Said, “I’m seeking a way to transmute<BR>This gold into lead.”<BR>“That’s backwards!” they said<BR>They were right, and he’s now destitute.<BR><BR>8. In Montana's a city called Butte,<BR>They'd rather wear jeans than a suit.<BR>The mountains amaze you;<BR>The people won't faze you.<BR>But getting there's quite a commute!<BR><BR>9. When caught DUI down in Butte<BR>I was foolish enough to dispute<BR>When the cop said, “You’re drunk!”<BR>I told him, “That’s bunk!”<BR>I am English,and pissed as a newt."<BR><BR>10. There's a happy fella from Butte <BR>Whose ladyfriend, Stella, is mute<BR>With her hands and her feet<BR>What she says is a treat<BR>And her parting patellas say, "Shoot!"<BR><BR>11. Says the boss, "It's so hard to recruit<BR>Good staff for my office in Butte.<BR>On the table's high pay<BR>And I say it's in Me-<BR>Sa!" - a tactic that's less than astute...<BR><BR>12. I observed in a pub down in Butte<BR>A fact that I thought quite astute -<BR>While Yanks when they're drunk<BR>Say they're "drunk as a skunk",<BR>The Poms say they're "pissed as a newt"!<BR><BR>13. There once was a cowboy from Butte<BR>The cowgirls all thought him quite cute<BR>Their prurient questions<BR>And whispered suggestions<BR>Just rendered him red-faced and mutePlease vote for your favorite limerickonetwothreefourfivesixseveneightnineteneleventwelvethirteen
May 04, 2017, 11:29
Geoff
I take it the rubbish collector hadn't gotten there before you realized you'd thrown your back out and you were able to retrieve it in time? Smile
May 04, 2017, 15:03
Greg S
Wow this is so hard, so many really good ones, and so many different A-rhymes used. I reckon it's as a good a collection as we've ever had, maybe even the best.

Regards Greg
May 04, 2017, 19:46
bethree5
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
I take it the rubbish collector hadn't gotten there before you realized you'd thrown your back out and you were able to retrieve it in time? Smile
hee-hee. Youngest (thank god still living at home) is keeping us current w/trash & recycling pickups. Kept my back in-house & it's slowly healing.
May 04, 2017, 21:28
sattva
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
hee-hee. Youngest (thank god still living at home) is keeping us current w/trash & recycling pickups. Kept my back in-house & it's slowly healing.

Glad you are doing better. Don't try too much too fast though! Backs need babied!
May 04, 2017, 21:29
sattva
I have two that I am torn between right now.
May 05, 2017, 08:24
haberdasher
What Greg said. This is going to take some serious deliberation...
May 05, 2017, 13:41
Geoff
#1 has two votes, but I can't get the third and fourth lines to scan together to save my bippy. What am I doing wrong?
May 05, 2017, 16:31
haberdasher
You can force it to work but you have to put a pause before lines 3 and 4 and read Melania as "Me-LAN-ya."

I would say that's an imperfection, and in the present competition it's going to be costly.

(How does one type a schwa on a Mac?)
May 05, 2017, 16:36
haberdasher
I like ** as best (see poll), and 12 as First Runner-up and cleverest.
May 05, 2017, 17:49
BobHale
Again? Really?
Sometimes this seems like Groundhog Day. The votes are shown ABOVE the limerick number, not below it. Hence there is a yellow line above number 1 and no yellow line below number thirteen. We explain this every single time. Limerick 1 does NOT have two votes, it has no votes. The two votes shown belong to Limerick number two.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
May 06, 2017, 21:52
Kalleh
Actually, I rather like #1. Like, Hab, I can make it work. It was probably my second choice.
May 07, 2017, 03:02
sattva
I am not sure if this helps with number one, but this is how I have heard Melania's name pronounced by both Donald and the media:

Melania
May 07, 2017, 09:27
bethree5
Still waiting on a couple of votes from those who submitted limericks-- & hey, how about the general public out there, feel free to vote!
May 07, 2017, 10:20
sattva
I had a difficult time choosing between #6 and #13, but ultimately went with 13.
May 07, 2017, 20:06
Kalleh
#6 was my choice, Sattva.
May 07, 2017, 21:00
sattva
Yes, Kalleh, #6 was really good. I just loved the cowboy getting red-faced and mute in #13!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sattva,
May 07, 2017, 21:25
Greg S
Well I have finally decided, and will make life easier for B35, by choosing number 2 which will probably make it the winner.

However I would have preferred it if it said "senses were" rather than "hearing was", that way it would kind of imply that he could also distinguish an ant's fart from a newt's one by the smell as well.

Regards Greg
May 11, 2017, 06:53
bethree5
OK folks, here’s the line-up. #1 The Pres’ small hands by sattva, no votes. #2,tinman’s hilarious newt-fart, leading w/3 votes. #3, sattva’s bitter-Twitter pres, no votes. #4, Butte-tart’s wares did not sell – tinman. #5 BobHale’s cunning candidate, no votes. #6, gregS’s DNA Dad garanered a vote. #7 Butte’s backward alchemist got a vote – BobHale. There were no takers for the next five listed: #8 Kalleh’s town portrait, #9 BobHale’s drunk driver, #10 geoff’s Stella’s patellas, #11 haberdasher’s penny-pinching boss, #12 gregS’s drunken Yanks v Poms. #13, the red-faced cowboy by yours truly ties for lead with tinman’s #2.

We are a “true” tie, as I cast a poll-vote for #2 myself. I hereby throw my endorsement to tinman! Take us away to our next limmy destination, tinman.
May 13, 2017, 22:03
Kalleh
Congratulations, Tinman! Love seeing you writing these limericks again.